Opinion on Freisian and Quarter horse cross? - Page 3 - The Horse Forum
 54Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 101 Old 01-25-2012, 09:33 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino Valley, AZ
Posts: 15,536
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans View Post
Grade horses are great. I have 2, so I have nothing against them. However-breeding them is a total crap shoot. You may get something totally hideous in conformation and looks that gets all the worst traits of its parents. Or, they can be spectacular. You just don't know, and with the glut of horses right now why not just get yourself one you like. It will be cheaper and more predictable than breeding one.
+1 on this!! My gelding is as grade as they come. He's a Percheron/paint cross. Not generally something I'd expect to see (except from a PMU farm, maybe). He came out with the best traits of both. The Percheron build and size with the lovely paint markings, and the nice draft horse personality and intelligence. His half-sister (same fugly paint sire) didn't fair so well. She's long-backed, her neck ties in funny and is just weirdly built in general, her legs are a mess, and as a coming-3yo she's about 6" butt high (a solid 15hh at the withers and 16.2hh at the butt). Not only that, she's not the sharpest tool in the shed and she's honestly a bit hot. They came from the same sire (APHA stallion Little Bit of Black) with nearly identical Percheron dams (both big, typy black Percheron mares).

Looking on Google at the Friesian/QH crosses, it looks like it can be a really good match or not so much. My question is this: what if you don't get the good side of the match? What happens if you get all the worst traits/qualities of both in the foal?

http://i42.tinypic.com/140y8lj.png
Do not tell me I can't...because I will show you that I can.
DraftyAiresMum is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 101 Old 01-25-2012, 09:33 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,164
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Miss Country View Post
"real-life" QH x Friesian? You say that like I am the only one who has ever had the idea. I am not the only one nor will I be the last. Google could show you pictures of QH/Friesian cross.

And I am not going to breed her with a TB. And as for realistic? This is a realistic decision. Logical, I am not sure on. That is why I am asking for opinions.

I would like to know why they wouldn't go well with one another though
I said that because I'd never heard of that cross, sorry. I was on my ipod and it was being slow so I wasn't going to try to search for pictures on it. I just did and honestly I think some are good looking, some aren't..
amp23 is offline  
post #23 of 101 Old 01-25-2012, 09:56 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Great White North
Posts: 662
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by amp23 View Post
Yeah... I couldn't see that working out well. Both breeds are good looking, but together I doubt you'll get a good looking horse. QH x TB is much more realistic. If you happen to find a picture of a "real-life" QH x Friesian, please post it.. I'm curious.
I found one.. he's pretty

Horses for Sale: 3 year old Quarter Horse/ Friesian

The American Quariesian - Horse breed, Horse breeding, types and breeds from Equiworld. ??
Evansk is offline  
post #24 of 101 Old 01-25-2012, 10:03 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 8,175
• Horses: 3
First one had VERY average, weak conformation. Certainly not one I'd be using to represent an already 'interesting' cross

~Horse & Hound Artistry~.

Website: www.horseandhoundartistry.com
Kayty is offline  
post #25 of 101 Old 01-25-2012, 10:05 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino Valley, AZ
Posts: 15,536
• Horses: 1
I'm not a huge fan of the conformation on that first one. Something about his hind end looks...off...to me. In the second actual confo pic, where he's not standing all stretched (not quite parked), his hind legs look terribly posty to me. And his shoulder looks fairly steep, indicating a rougher ride.

As for the second one...that is a horrible pic to get even a remote idea of how that horse is built. In fact, I don't even find the horse particularly attractive in the stance he's in.

Like franknbeans said, cross breeding anything is a crap-shoot. My dog is an australian shepherd/saint bernard mix. He combines the best of both breeds. Google the same mix and not all of them are as good-looking or well-built as he is. In fact, some of them are just plain odd-looking.

http://i42.tinypic.com/140y8lj.png
Do not tell me I can't...because I will show you that I can.
DraftyAiresMum is offline  
post #26 of 101 Old 01-25-2012, 10:17 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Great White North
Posts: 662
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayty View Post
First one had VERY average, weak conformation. Certainly not one I'd be using to represent an already 'interesting' cross
I wasnt trying to represent an interesting breed. She wanted to see a picture and I found one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum View Post
I'm not a huge fan of the conformation on that first one. Something about his hind end looks...off...to me. In the second actual confo pic, where he's not standing all stretched (not quite parked), his hind legs look terribly posty to me. And his shoulder looks fairly steep, indicating a rougher ride.

As for the second one...that is a horrible pic to get even a remote idea of how that horse is built. In fact, I don't even find the horse particularly attractive in the stance he's in.

Like franknbeans said, cross breeding anything is a crap-shoot. My dog is an australian shepherd/saint bernard mix. He combines the best of both breeds. Google the same mix and not all of them are as good-looking or well-built as he is. In fact, some of them are just plain odd-looking.

I wasnt really commenting on his overall body, I just liked his colour and star. I don't know a thing about the proper comformation for a cross .

Elysium Farm, Pembroke Ky

heres a Mare, When I look at her.. all i can see is that skinny neck and that head..and she's listed as a dark buckskin??

Im not saying that she should cross the breeds or anything like that, I just wanted other people to see what the cross can turn out to be. Since this is actually the first time I've ever googled the cross! :)

Last edited by Evansk; 01-25-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Evansk is offline  
post #27 of 101 Old 01-25-2012, 10:27 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 4,962
• Horses: 3
Ok..I'm being really serious as I say this so yes, you can laugh and agree with me..The mare posted above looks like one of the horses on the horse game websites. Like the little games you can "design" your own horse but you can NEVER get it to look even remotely close to looking like your horse..The odd, never right, colors and awkward stances of the horses...Yeah right, my horse never looks like those little graphics that non-horse people THINK my horse looks like..

Am I the only one that thinks that?
Wallaby likes this.

I am Sparkly Meanie Doodie Head and I approve this message!
DrumRunner is offline  
post #28 of 101 Old 01-25-2012, 10:28 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,164
• Horses: 1
I also googled it a few mins ago and wasn't impressed. I don't like either of the crosses you posted, to me they just look... odd. I personally would not pick this cross, but I guess to each their own.
amp23 is offline  
post #29 of 101 Old 01-25-2012, 10:29 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Great White North
Posts: 662
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumRunner View Post
Ok..I'm being really serious as I say this so yes, you can laugh and agree with me..The mare posted above looks like one of the horses on the horse game websites. Like the little games you can "design" your own horse but you can NEVER get it to look even remotely close to looking like your horse..The odd, never right, colors and awkward stances of the horses...Yeah right, my horse never looks like those little graphics that non-horse people THINK my horse looks like..

Am I the only one that thinks that?

haha I totally agree!! She looks really odd. Like someone slapped a bunch of horse parts together.. and thought.. now thats a good looking horse.. Her color is nice.. but thats all I like..
amp23 likes this.
Evansk is offline  
post #30 of 101 Old 01-25-2012, 10:30 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Great White North
Posts: 662
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by amp23 View Post
I also googled it a few mins ago and wasn't impressed. I don't like either of the crosses you posted, to me they just look... odd. I personally would not pick this cross, but I guess to each their own.
I agree, I was looking through more pictures of the crosses and they just don't look right.. like something is off.

And you are right to each their own, where we see an odd horse someone might see the perfect horse..
Evansk is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Show me your Quarter Horse or Quarter Cross EnglishGirl144 Horse Breeds 73 04-04-2012 01:35 PM
opinion of circle j living quarter horse trailers julie51 Horse Trailers 4 08-22-2011 06:49 AM
Quarter Horse cross? Equus_girl Horse Breeds 14 11-18-2009 11:36 AM
Quarter horse cross breeding llgedeon Horse Breeding 30 07-25-2008 04:55 PM
Morgan/Quarter horse cross??? horse_lover Horse Breeds 10 07-11-2008 12:43 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome