Possible Buy-Western Pleasure Prospect
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeding

Possible Buy-Western Pleasure Prospect

This is a discussion on Possible Buy-Western Pleasure Prospect within the Horse Breeding forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category
  • "what to look for in western pleasure prospect' + weanling
  • Western pleasure "long back"

View Poll Results: Should I Go Look Her?
Go For It! 1 25.00%
No, Keep Looking! 3 75.00%
I'm not sure 0 0%
Maybe 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree1Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-25-2012, 12:39 PM
  #1
Started
Possible Buy-Western Pleasure Prospect

This girl is four years old out of Invited For Luxury. Dam is Lil Poco Pine Bar. She's had 60 days under saddle last year along with trail riding on weekends clear out till now. She's in my state, and just doesn't have time to ride. She's priced pretty nice to my view. She doesn't spook, soft in the mouth and responsive. She's currently 14.2h. Opinions?


I was also wanting to use her for a broodmare prospect. :)
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    04-25-2012, 12:50 PM
  #2
Started
Oh girl, her back is too long and she's too short for my taste. ): You'd get eaten alive at the bigger AQHA shows. Even though she has good bloodlines, she's nothing I'd breed to either. Sorry ):
     
    04-25-2012, 12:53 PM
  #3
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh vair oh    
Oh girl, her back is too long and she's too short for my taste. ): You'd get eaten alive at the bigger AQHA shows. Even though she has good bloodlines, she's nothing I'd breed to either. Sorry ):
Well, I can't find a good mare that can ride, or has good confo......I can't spend anything above $2500. It's really hard to find one that works. Would she be able to get a little taller?
     
    04-25-2012, 12:58 PM
  #4
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittlePonies    
Well, I can't find a good mare that can ride, or has good confo......I can't spend anything above $2500. It's really hard to find one that works. Would she be able to get a little taller?
She will not get taller.

I am not sure you will get a "all around" type horse to show AQHA for $2500.

Maybe best to save a while, IMO.
     
    04-25-2012, 01:02 PM
  #5
Started
I dunno. Honestly you'd have to watch her move and then decide. I think she is the best you're going to get for your price range though. And she's not terrible by any means, it's just unfortunate that she's on the smaller side. You're lucky she has only had light riding, so hopefully not too many bad habits to correct. :)

EDIT: But like Ripper said, I would save up for something better.
     
    04-25-2012, 01:04 PM
  #6
Started
Well, if I found a stellar mare then I would be able to go higher. I have a vacation so that's why I'm hoping to get lucky with this.
Horses stop growing at 5-6 years old. She just turned four.
     
    04-25-2012, 01:09 PM
  #7
Started
I'll see if I can find a stellar mare. :) It's really hard and I hope to spend up to $4k
     
    04-25-2012, 01:10 PM
  #8
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittlePonies    
Well, if I found a stellar mare then I would be able to go higher. I have a vacation so that's why I'm hoping to get lucky with this.
Horses stop growing at 5-6 years old. She just turned four.
Mine horses where pretty well grown at the end of their yearling year.

Passed that they just filled out...perhaps looked a little bigger.

Look at the lengh of her cannon bone.

Not much room there to grow.
     
    04-25-2012, 01:31 PM
  #9
Teen Forum Moderator
Horses do grow until 5-6, but rarely ever get taller past their third year, and if they do, its by an inch or less. Most horses spend their fourth, fifth, and sixth years filling out, closing up bones, and gaining muscle.

I would pass her up as well. Long back, short legs, weak loins, upright shoulder (causing short striding and 'joltiness' in many horses) and a chest that isn't very well defined. She's a bit posty in the back, too. Trail horse? Sure. Maybe even a lesson or arena horse, but not a competitive anything, and definitely not something that I'd want a foal out of.
     
    04-25-2012, 01:38 PM
  #10
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endiku    
Horses do grow until 5-6, but rarely ever get taller past their third year, and if they do, its by an inch or less. Most horses spend their fourth, fifth, and sixth years filling out, closing up bones, and gaining muscle.

I would pass her up as well. Long back, short legs, weak loins, upright shoulder (causing short striding and 'joltiness' in many horses) and a chest that isn't very well defined. She's a bit posty in the back, too. Trail horse? Sure. Maybe even a lesson or arena horse, but not a competitive anything, and definitely not something that I'd want a foal out of.
My horses grew very fast.

One was a 16 hands yearling in the fall but, was just 16.3 as a mature horse.

Many of my weanings were 14.3/15 hands in the fall.

This is the 16 hand yearling.
She Is No Joy Quarter Horse
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is your opinion on my pleasure horse/reining prospect? horsecrazychica5 Horse Riding Critique 1 12-28-2011 10:33 AM
English Pleasure Prospect tb mare mysugarap Horses for Sale 3 02-23-2011 08:22 AM
Western Pleasure/Halter Prospect? AppysForLife Horses for Sale 0 04-06-2010 07:43 PM
Western Pleasure Prospect? NAYRiders12 Western Riding 14 12-08-2009 04:00 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0