Potential Buy In Foal
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeding

Potential Buy In Foal

This is a discussion on Potential Buy In Foal within the Horse Breeding forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category
  • Buy a foal
  • Where can i buy a foal

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    09-30-2010, 10:53 AM
  #1
Started
Potential Buy In Foal

I've been somewhat casually looking around for a young prospect to bring along as a dressage horse. I've got a huge huge soft spot for Welsh Cobs and came across one that seems like she would be perfect. The only thing is, she's 3 years old... already had one foal and is lined up for another one this spring.

So my first question is, are there any ramifications for her being bred twice so soon? 2 years seems awful young to be bred by my standards. She actually foaled when she was 3 years if that makes a difference, and will be 4 by the time she foals again. Could this potentially have "stunted" her growth?

Also, her owner plans to keep the foal when it's weaned next summer. If I were to come along and buy the mare, would I be expected to leave her there with the owner until she had foaled out and the foal was weaned? Would I take the mare and give the owner the foal back after it was weaned? If I did buy the mare (which is still a big IF), I would want to get her primed for being formally started under saddle pretty soon after foaling/weaning. This would involve lots of ground work, desensitization, etc. I wouldn't want to have to postpone all training until next summer! Should I forget it?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    09-30-2010, 03:57 PM
  #2
Weanling
Yes, the filly most likely is stunted. A horse's 2 yr old year is when they do a lot of growing, mentally and physically. When she was 2, everything was going to the foal that was growing inside her, not to her. She hasn't really had a chance to grow, except for her 1st year really.

As for the 2011 foal, they can do the foaling out a number of different ways, it all depends on how they want to do it.
They could:
1. Let you have the mare, and let you foal her out at your place, and pick up the foal when it is time for it to be weaned.
2. Let you have the mare until she is close to foaling, then bring her back to their farm, and you can have the mare back after the baby is weaned.
Or really anything else that you could think would work.

I think your best bet would be to look for another horse. This mare has had a lot happen in the last couple of years. It would be better for you to buy a filly that hasn't been bred, simply because it has had a better start at life, hasn't been stunted, and you can start saddle work right away, rather than waiting a year or more.

Good luck which ever way you decide to go with this filly!
     
    09-30-2010, 04:07 PM
  #3
Green Broke
^ I agree.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Serious potential buy!! reining girl Horse Riding Critique 18 05-04-2009 08:55 PM
Foal, foal, cute little foal!!!!!!!! PIC OVERLOAD! DutchHorse Horse Pictures 9 07-21-2008 10:19 PM
Potential Buy.. MariHxc Horse Riding Critique 20 05-17-2008 03:37 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0