Pregnancy.. gallop?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeding

Pregnancy.. gallop?

This is a discussion on Pregnancy.. gallop? within the Horse Breeding forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category
  • How to get a pregnet horse to gallop
  • WHAT IS PREGNANCY GALLOPING?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-23-2010, 02:40 AM
  #1
Yearling
Pregnancy.. gallop?

My friend is probably going to breed her mare, and she is wondering if she can still gallop her horse, and enter gymkhanas up until 9 months pregnant?

Thanks!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-23-2010, 02:51 AM
  #2
Green Broke
Hmm, I've never bred a horse nor do I know much about breeding but from what I understand is that no you should not gallop a pregnant horse,
     
    01-23-2010, 02:58 AM
  #3
Yearling
Quote:
Hmm, I've never bred a horse nor do I know much about breeding but from what I understand is that no you should not gallop a pregnant horse,


Oh.. my friend told me that she can gallop her up to 7-8 months, and then trot/canter up to 9 months, and then the rest just walk.
From what I thought, I thought you could barely even ride them at all, but she kept telling me that she could ride them, but she didnt know for sure.
I hope she wont gallop her too much though :/
I don't really agree with her breeding her horse, because she doesnt have perfect conformation, she is pretty friendly though, but I also don't think my friend has enough experience to have a foal, but its not my decision :(
     
    01-23-2010, 03:06 AM
  #4
Green Broke
As I said, its just what I have heard, and I have not had any experiance in this certain feild. But there are plenty of members on here that have. Although if it was me, my horse would be rapped in bubble rap
     
    01-23-2010, 05:42 AM
  #5
Yearling
I have seen people run barrels with their mares up until the last 2-3 months of pregnancy, sometimes even longer. Our shows are only once a month, though. And riding a pregnant mare is very okay, especially if the mare was ridden regularly before the pregnancy. The better shape the mare is during her pregnancy, the less of a chance of complications. A breeder I know uses all her broodies as hack horses during their pregnancies with no problems. I would think that once in a while would be fine, as long as it's not overdone.
     
    01-23-2010, 03:01 PM
  #6
Yearling
Quote:
As I said, its just what I have heard, and I have not had any experiance in this certain feild. But there are plenty of members on here that have. Although if it was me, my horse would be rapped in bubble rap
haha, I would be like that too if it was my mare :)

Quote:
I have seen people run barrels with their mares up until the last 2-3 months of pregnancy, sometimes even longer. Our shows are only once a month, though. And riding a pregnant mare is very okay, especially if the mare was ridden regularly before the pregnancy. The better shape the mare is during her pregnancy, the less of a chance of complications. A breeder I know uses all her broodies as hack horses during their pregnancies with no problems. I would think that once in a while would be fine, as long as it's not overdone.
Woah, thank you :) I am not sure about my friend though, I am quite sure she will be riding her everyday up until a month due. She rides/gallops alot!
     
    01-23-2010, 03:10 PM
  #7
Green Broke
Riding is almost necessary, galloping needs to be limited. If the mare is in tip-top show condition, and continues to be that way for the duration of her pregnancy, then doing her regular shows and workouts through the majority of the pregnancy likely won't be a problem. As soon as she starts showing and carrying extra weight though, you must use extreme caution. She has a lot more stress on her body, and her food needs to be going to feed two mouths, so the person should be well educated in how to keep the mare fit and in good weight if she's using her energy to work.

I personally would not continue showing or doing hard work once she begins showing without the advice of a veterinarian. It seems stupid and ridiculous to risk the pregnancy for your own personal benefit after investing so much time and money into it.

As for riding a pregnant mare, you can work them lightly right up until they give birth. As was stated, the better shape a mare is in, the easier the pregnancy should be. Healthy and well maintained mares have less complications.
     
    01-23-2010, 03:18 PM
  #8
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacabreMikolaj    
Riding is almost necessary, galloping needs to be limited. If the mare is in tip-top show condition, and continues to be that way for the duration of her pregnancy, then doing her regular shows and workouts through the majority of the pregnancy likely won't be a problem. As soon as she starts showing and carrying extra weight though, you must use extreme caution. She has a lot more stress on her body, and her food needs to be going to feed two mouths, so the person should be well educated in how to keep the mare fit and in good weight if she's using her energy to work.

I personally would not continue showing or doing hard work once she begins showing without the advice of a veterinarian. It seems stupid and ridiculous to risk the pregnancy for your own personal benefit after investing so much time and money into it.

As for riding a pregnant mare, you can work them lightly right up until they give birth. As was stated, the better shape a mare is in, the easier the pregnancy should be. Healthy and well maintained mares have less complications.
Yes, exactly.
     
    01-23-2010, 03:25 PM
  #9
Green Broke
Oh just a quick note since we've had some problems with this in the past - I'm aware it's your friend doing this and not you. When I refer to "you" in my posts, it's a generality designated to all people type of thing, not actually implying that I think YOU are the one who wants to gallop all the time. Just thought I'd clarify.
     
    02-07-2010, 01:51 AM
  #10
Foal
Very true
Quote:
Riding is almost necessary, galloping needs to be limited. If the mare is in tip-top show condition, and continues to be that way for the duration of her pregnancy, then doing her regular shows and workouts through the majority of the pregnancy likely won't be a problem. As soon as she starts showing and carrying extra weight though, you must use extreme caution. She has a lot more stress on her body, and her food needs to be going to feed two mouths, so the person should be well educated in how to keep the mare fit and in good weight if she's using her energy to work.

I personally would not continue showing or doing hard work once she begins showing without the advice of a veterinarian. It seems stupid and ridiculous to risk the pregnancy for your own personal benefit after investing so much time and money into it.

As for riding a pregnant mare, you can work them lightly right up until they give birth. As was stated, the better shape a mare is in, the easier the pregnancy should be. Healthy and well maintained mares have less complications.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Gallop! HorsesAreForever Horse Training 10 11-30-2009 01:29 AM
drafts can't gallop!!!? since when!? drafts4ever Draft Horses 52 10-11-2009 08:09 PM
Your first gallop. PintoPrincess Horse Riding 32 09-17-2009 08:41 PM
how to gallop sempre_cantando Horse Riding 6 09-09-2008 12:00 PM
how do you ask for a gallop? lakotalegend15 Horse Training 6 11-12-2007 07:56 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0