really stupid question about mini horses - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeding

really stupid question about mini horses

This is a discussion on really stupid question about mini horses within the Horse Breeding forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category

    Like Tree9Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        04-11-2013, 06:30 PM
      #11
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WSArabians    
    I've never had mini's so I'm not really sure ... Would be quite the sight to see.

    Is there a reason why they don't want to just geld him? Seems odd.
    None of mine are actually minis either... I'm just saying a few of my mares are .... Errrr.... Good appropriate word for hf??.... Easy.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        04-11-2013, 06:40 PM
      #12
    Trained
    I could totally see my mare lying down for a mini... to say she is a hussy is putting it mildly.
    Poseidon likes this.
         
        04-12-2013, 02:14 PM
      #13
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NdAppy    
    I could totally see my mare lying down for a mini... to say she is a hussy is putting it mildly.
    Hahahahahahaaaa
         
        04-12-2013, 04:00 PM
      #14
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dlpark2    
    I don't know....I try not to get into to many conversations with my coworkers about my horses cause most of them are idiots.. I asked him why they don't just geld him and he said "what's that?" and I put it in layman's terms and said that they neuter him to keep him from reproducing, and he cringed....SMH...got to love working in a industry that is typically male oriented......I have NEVER seen a use for minature horses except as hayburners.....Don't get me wrong, they are cute, but if I wanted something that I had to dump food into, I would get another Great Dane....

    Many fun classes for Minis, at local and National shows. Wonderful for the very young to show and great for those of us who are older and can no longer ride or handle, full size horses. Minis are not - or maybe shouldn't be, just 'hayburners'.

    Regarding Minis with full size horses, it is often a dangerous situation. Putting a Mini stallion with a full size mare, is not recommended. If he were to bother the mare and she was not happy about it, one kick could and has, killed a Mini.

    Lizzie
         
        04-12-2013, 04:08 PM
      #15
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FeatheredFeet    
    Many fun classes for Minis, at local and National shows. Wonderful for the very young to show and great for those of us who are older and can no longer ride or handle, full size horses. Minis are not - or maybe shouldn't be, just 'hayburners'.


    Regarding Minis with full size horses, it is often a dangerous situation. Putting a Mini stallion with a full size mare, is not recommended. If he were to bother the mare and she was not happy about it, one kick could and has, killed a Mini.

    Lizzie
    Don't get me wrong, I know plenty of people who have Minis and love them and use them for carting, 4H, etc. I just personally have never had a use for them. If I wanted a "pet" that I had to dump a ton of food into just to use it to pull a cart, I would by a great dane again or a saint bernard. Minis are cute, but not for me. My husbands old coworker had a mini that got stampeded by the full size horses when they were running up at feeding time. He was absolutely heartbroken!
         
        04-12-2013, 04:39 PM
      #16
    Trained
    As far as what a mini/normal size horse cross looks like, there was a member here for a while who has a mini/TB. He is pictured at the end of the first post in this page: Show off ALL your horses!
         
        04-12-2013, 04:50 PM
      #17
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dlpark2    
    Don't get me wrong, I know plenty of people who have Minis and love them and use them for carting, 4H, etc. I just personally have never had a use for them. If I wanted a "pet" that I had to dump a ton of food into just to use it to pull a cart, I would by a great dane again or a saint bernard. Minis are cute, but not for me. My husbands old coworker had a mini that got stampeded by the full size horses when they were running up at feeding time. He was absolutely heartbroken!
    I don't want anyone to think, that Minis are just 'pets' who might be able to pull a cart. We have halter classes, classes for gelding/stallions/mares. We have colour classes. Many performance hunter classes (jumping). We also have obastacle trail classes. In driving, we have country pleasure, roadster and race classes. Even chariot racing, which is incredibly exciting and fast. Almost all of the above of course, in amateur, youth and adult classes. Dedicated Mini owners, often work long hours in training their horses, just like those with full size horses. They are also often sent to professional trainers, just like full size horses. Nothing much different about them really, except that none except very small children, can ride them.

    Although a very few are, Great Danes and St. Bernards, are not normally put to the cart.

    Lizzie
    NdAppy likes this.
         
        04-12-2013, 05:41 PM
      #18
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FeatheredFeet    
    I don't want anyone to think, that Minis are just 'pets' who might be able to pull a cart. We have halter classes, classes for gelding/stallions/mares. We have colour classes. Many performance hunter classes (jumping). We also have obastacle trail classes. In driving, we have country pleasure, roadster and race classes. Even chariot racing, which is incredibly exciting and fast. Almost all of the above of course, in amateur, youth and adult classes. Dedicated Mini owners, often work long hours in training their horses, just like those with full size horses. They are also often sent to professional trainers, just like full size horses. Nothing much different about them really, except that none except very small children, can ride them.

    Although a very few are, Great Danes and St. Bernards, are not normally put to the cart.

    Lizzie
    Sorry, I guess I should of rephrased myself. I think of them as "pets", I have never really been around Mini's much at all. I do have a couple of friend who own them and use them for like I said, to pull a cart/wagon and their kid did 4H with it. They were the only mini's that I have ever been around that were not ornery little cusses. When I was a teenager, a neighbor had two and that was the first horse that ever actually kicked me, but he was an ornery spoiled little brat two who they treated more like a dog then a horse. They would let him come into the house at times. I do find them cute, but have never really researched what all you can do with them. When it gets to the point that I can no longer care for or ride full size horses, I would probably research owning a Mini because I don't think I can ever be without some sort of equine again.

    When we got our first Great dane, we taught her to pull a wagon for my 1 year old son. She loved and it would beg to for us to put her harness on.

    I may have to research to see if there are any mini farms near me that I can visit and check the little guys out.
         
        04-12-2013, 05:52 PM
      #19
    Trained
    The ones that act like snots because of being treated like pets? Those are not good ones to base opinions off of. It would be like someone basing the opinion that all large horses are dangerous and have nasty attitudes based on this clip -


    Minis should not be treated any different than a full-sized horse, but unfortunately so many people do because they are small and cute...
    Golden Horse likes this.
         
        04-12-2013, 07:01 PM
      #20
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NdAppy    
    The ones that act like snots because of being treated like pets? Those are not good ones to base opinions off of. It would be like someone basing the opinion that all large horses are dangerous and have nasty attitudes based on this clip -

    Orphan Horse.mpg - YouTube

    Minis should not be treated any different than a full-sized horse, but unfortunately so many people do because they are small and cute...
    I don't disagree and I have heard minis can be fun, I just haven't ever been around them enough to have that opinion. I like them, I just wouldn't want to own one till I did more research on them. I think they are cute little buggers, but I think there are too many people don't treat them like a horse.
    I have seen that video before and that is one dangerous horse. Like the woman says in it, she is going to have to put him down, which she probably did.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Maybe a stupid question seven Horse Training 41 12-24-2011 12:20 AM
    Probably a stupid question... LoveMyDrummerBoy Horse Grooming 23 08-11-2010 01:02 AM
    Probably a stupid question... rcshawk Horse Tack and Equipment 8 08-05-2010 11:19 PM
    Probably a stupid question..runt horses? rocky pony Horse Talk 8 10-02-2009 01:58 AM
    Stupid Question tprogod Horse Tack and Equipment 4 06-10-2009 01:34 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:23 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0