Registering and Breeding a Mare - The Horse Forum

 8Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 06-13-2013, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 14
• Horses: 1
Question Registering and Breeding a Mare

I bought a 15 year old APHA registered mare in April. My father has looked into her pedigree and has decided that she should be bred. Her sire was Midway Jet Pal and we want to have her bred back to an APHA registered homozygous black tobiano stallion named Summers Chico Bandito.

I am new to the breeding thing and need advice on several things.

1. What all do I need to make sure is done so that the foal is also able to the APHA registered?

2. What do I need to do to make sure my mare stays healthy throughout the process?

3. When foaling time gets closer, what extra care to I need to make sure my mare gets?

4. We are buying frozen semen, so I need to know who I need to contact such as AI technicians and vets and such (to keep the foal eligible for registry and make sure that she does produce a foal).


All advice is helpful. This is our first horse we will breed (we normally work more with producing cattle).
sarahroach15 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old 06-13-2013, 08:33 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,927
• Horses: 0
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Some questions first, please.

How knowledgeable is your father, about horses/breeds/conformation etc.? Pedigrees are wonderful to tell us what horses are in the background, but not necessarily, a sign of quality at all. Same with registration. There are millions of horses and dogs across the world, who are registered and have super pedigrees, but are a mess conformationally and should never be bred.

Lizzie
DeliciousD likes this.
FeatheredFeet is offline  
post #3 of 21 Old 06-13-2013, 08:42 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 2,431
• Horses: 1
The best advice I (or anybody, really) could give you is to get in touch with your vet and create a good relationship with them. Have your mare evaluated, and ask as many questions as you can. At fifteen, if she hasn't been bred before, you have a higher risk of complications and a lower chance of her conceiving. Your vet will also (likely) be able to talk to you about her worth as a broodmare, all of the costs associated with breeding, and tell you exactly what YOUR mare will need in terms of vaccines, feed, etc.
dbarabians likes this.
alexischristina is offline  
post #4 of 21 Old 06-13-2013, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 14
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatheredFeet View Post
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Some questions first, please.

How knowledgeable is your father, about horses/breeds/conformation etc.? Pedigrees are wonderful to tell us what horses are in the background, but not necessarily, a sign of quality at all. Same with registration. There are millions of horses and dogs across the world, who are registered and have super pedigrees, but are a mess conformationally and should never be bred.

Lizzie

The mare we have has great conformation. She doesn't have any problems related to conformation. She's also very healthy.
sarahroach15 is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old 06-13-2013, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 14
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexischristina View Post
The best advice I (or anybody, really) could give you is to get in touch with your vet and create a good relationship with them. Have your mare evaluated, and ask as many questions as you can. At fifteen, if she hasn't been bred before, you have a higher risk of complications and a lower chance of her conceiving. Your vet will also (likely) be able to talk to you about her worth as a broodmare, all of the costs associated with breeding, and tell you exactly what YOUR mare will need in terms of vaccines, feed, etc.

Thanks. The vet will be coming out soon to make sure she gets all the right vaccinations before we get all the paperwork and such together.
sarahroach15 is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old 06-13-2013, 08:45 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cariboo, British Columbia
Posts: 11,344
• Horses: 3
You have to make sure both mare and stallion have been tested for frame and don't breed them together if one is positive for it. The rest the stallion owner can answer better in person as regards to registering the offspring.
franknbeans likes this.
waresbear is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old 06-13-2013, 08:47 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,772
• Horses: 2
You can have one positive frame horse and not have complications. Its when you breed TWO frame carries together, that the result could be a LWO foal.

Chilly is a frame carrier. I made sure to breed to a OWLS negative stallion.
Posted via Mobile Device
CLaPorte432 is offline  
post #8 of 21 Old 06-13-2013, 08:50 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,927
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahroach15 View Post
The mare we have has great conformation. She doesn't have any problems related to conformation. She's also very healthy.
Very few horses are what most of us would think of as 'close to perfect'. Who evaluated her? Has she foaled before? Have you pics of her previous offspring? It might help us guide you here.

I'm tending to think, that you are new to horses/breeding, by the questions you ask. Not that questions are a bad thing, since we all had to start somewhere. However, there is SO much to answer, I just wanted to start with first things first.

Lizzie
DeliciousD likes this.
FeatheredFeet is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old 06-13-2013, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 14
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatheredFeet View Post
Very few horses are what most of us would think of as 'close to perfect'. Who evaluated her? Has she foaled before? Have you pics of her previous offspring? It might help us guide you here.

I'm tending to think, that you are new to horses/breeding, by the questions you ask. Not that questions are a bad thing, since we all had to start somewhere. However, there is SO much to answer, I just wanted to start with first things first.

Lizzie

I am new to horse breeding. I just want to know as much as I can before I move forward with anything. The vet evaluated her about a month ago when he was also doing blood work for a coggins test because we just bought her in April and the previous owner did not have current paperwork.
sarahroach15 is offline  
post #10 of 21 Old 06-13-2013, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 14
• Horses: 1
[QUOTE=CLaPorte432;2795130]You can have one positive frame horse and not have complications. Its when you breed TWO frame carries together, that the result could be a LWO foal.

Chilly is a frame carrier. I made sure to breed to a OWLS negative stallion.
Posted via Mobile Device[

Can the horses carry this gene if they are both homozygous tobiano? (they both are)
sarahroach15 is offline  
Reply

Tags
artificial insemination , pregnant mare , registry

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Registering a grade mare IRaceBarrels Horse Breeds 12 11-10-2012 04:29 PM
Registering 4 year old mare? AQHA shortysmalls Horse Talk 3 10-15-2012 12:21 AM
Registering My Mare? BurningAmber520 Horse Breeds 7 01-09-2009 08:34 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome