Rescue horse VERY in foal... NEED ADVICE PLEEEASE! Our first baby! - Page 20
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeding

Rescue horse VERY in foal... NEED ADVICE PLEEEASE! Our first baby!

This is a discussion on Rescue horse VERY in foal... NEED ADVICE PLEEEASE! Our first baby! within the Horse Breeding forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        05-12-2010, 08:29 AM
      #191
    Green Broke
    I am going to guess a filly (she is keeping us waiting for her grand entrance)
    Love it if she was a silver bay (there was one at my trainers barn I would have bought if I didn't have Hunter)
    Lotsa chrome (pretty just like her mom)
    May 14 4:00 am
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        05-12-2010, 10:18 AM
      #192
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hunter65    
    I am going to guess a filly (she is keeping us waiting for her grand entrance)
    Love it if she was a silver bay (there was one at my trainers barn I would have bought if I didn't have Hunter)
    Lotsa chrome (pretty just like her mom)
    May 14 4:00 am
    4am sounds like a legitimate time for Dusty... I usually do good to keep my eyes open til about 3am (on a good night).
         
        05-12-2010, 10:31 AM
      #193
    Trained
    She'll have it when you do that 5 minute errand...Lol!!!
         
        05-12-2010, 10:47 AM
      #194
    Foal
    an idea

    Here's an idea. In the wild, mares always take a buddy mare off with them to watch over them while they are in labor. If you have another stall within eyesite, you might try putting whoever her best buddy is in that stall.

    We tried that once with a mare that was 2 weeks overdue and had been waxed the whole 2 weeks. Within 2 hours of putting her buddy just outside her stall, she foaled. Coincidence ? Maybe. But it does go along with their instincts. They are vulnerable during that hour. They can't protect a new baby very well for the first hour. Hence the buddy system to help keep predators away.

    Just a thought. Good luck. She looks like a pretty nice mare and a great color. So glad you saved her!!!!
         
        05-12-2010, 11:16 AM
      #195
    Foal
    JB44---i have heard of that with wild horses too, never thought about it with others but makes a lot of cense...maybe she can try this, would be kinda funny if that's what she's been waiting for.... and also her being a rescue horse she has not had the best things going on to her the last few years so trust and security maybe something she is needing.. if she only knew how lucky she is to have the mommy she has know. But then maybe she does know, she seems to have bonded very well...
         
        05-12-2010, 12:53 PM
      #196
    Yearling
    I don't think she'll have a silver bay, doesn't look possible. The mare's not silver and 'gray stud' is not enough info (don't know his base color). There is a 50% chance the foal will be gray though.
         
        05-12-2010, 12:59 PM
      #197
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JB44    
    here's an idea. In the wild, mares always take a buddy mare off with them to watch over them while they are in labor. If you have another stall within eyesite, you might try putting whoever her best buddy is in that stall.

    We tried that once with a mare that was 2 weeks overdue and had been waxed the whole 2 weeks. Within 2 hours of putting her buddy just outside her stall, she foaled. Coincidence ? Maybe. But it does go along with their instincts. They are vulnerable during that hour. They can't protect a new baby very well for the first hour. Hence the buddy system to help keep predators away.

    Just a thought. Good luck. She looks like a pretty nice mare and a great color. So glad you saved her!!!!
    I thought of that too.... and she and Baker used to take turns sleeping, he would stand outside her pen, just on the other side of the fence and keep watch while she slept, and then she would do the same for him... but Baker got in a fight with another gelding through my fence (when I had barbed wire) and he got cut really bad, down to the joint. My sister has a barn with 3 inside stalls, so I sent him to live with her because she had better accomodations for him, and the vet was NOT very optimistic about his chances of even living through it, since the chance of infection was so high. Dusty looked for him for a week, and he looked for her too. It broke my heart. I slept outside with her all night for the first two nights. I really want to bring him home, but Im scared to take the chance of "disrupting" his progress. Plus, he is only 3, and he loves her soo much... he thinks that she is HIS mare... I don't know how he would react to the baby, and Im betting she wont wanna be his buddy after the baby is born...
         
        05-12-2010, 01:05 PM
      #198
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alace    
    JB44---i have heard of that with wild horses too, never thought about it with others but makes a lot of cense...maybe she can try this, would be kinda funny if that's what she's been waiting for.... and also her being a rescue horse she has not had the best things going on to her the last few years so trust and security maybe something she is needing.. if she only knew how lucky she is to have the mommy she has know. But then maybe she does know, she seems to have bonded very well...
    Thanks Alace! I love her alot. She's almost like one of my kiddos!
    What do you guys think about this... I have another mare, she is 7, and she has had one baby before, about a year or a year and a half ago. She and Dusty have been pastured together before, and they did okay, even though Feather seems to be the more dominant of the two. I was worried about Feather being around Dusty when the baby was born (I have heard horror stories about other horses accidently stepping on the babies, or biting them, or even stealing them). Do you think it would be safe? I would have them in a smaller pasture together, probably about 1/2 acre.
         
        05-12-2010, 01:22 PM
      #199
    Weanling
    OMG! I was watching the news just now.... you guys have to look up "worlds smallest horse einstein"

         
        05-12-2010, 01:25 PM
      #200
    Banned
    I would give it a try...you could see if your other mare is receptive to it. You would think that she would be nicer to her now that she's REALLY pregnant...its worth a try. I guess nature is just going to take its sweet time with poor dusty. I know how she feels! I tried EVERYTHING to get my labor on the go...the only thing that worked was walking.
         

    Tags
    foal, foaling, mare, pregnant, rescue

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Baby On Board - Foal Watch Appy Luvr Horse Breeding 5 04-10-2010 11:52 AM
    possible buy opinions pleeease XxemmafuriaxX Horse Pictures 10 03-05-2010 02:44 PM
    new foal - advice needed doczahi Horse Training 23 03-24-2009 05:30 PM
    Looking to buy horse at auction....rescue horse...advice? Linn Horse Protection 4 07-27-2008 10:23 AM
    The Baby Album! Post YOUR foal pics! Small_Town_Girl Horse Pictures 2 04-23-2008 12:56 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:19 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0