Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: East Midlands, UK
Is it safe to keep 'em together?
Next month I'm getting a New forest colt (intact), and wondered if it would be safe to keep him with my mare (until the vet can geld him)
Here are the facts:
7 yrs, never been in season in winter, 14.3hh, has lived with geldings all together and never turned into a hussy (except in the summer months lol!)
6 months old, don't think he has his bits and bobs down yet, still very little (not sure he'd reach if he tried!)
One vet I phoned said wait until he has his little bits, another said it was too frosty to do it, and another said he was probably too young to do anything as of yet and phone after I get him to see how he acts. Thing is if I see how he acts and he turns into a rampant little beggar I might not be able to book the vets in time!
Do you think it would be best to keep them apart from the start until his had the snip?
(please don't be mean because I genuinely want to know BEFORE it's too late, which is why I'm asking now)