Should I or shouldnt I breed her again?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeding

Should I or shouldnt I breed her again?

This is a discussion on Should I or shouldnt I breed her again? within the Horse Breeding forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        10-06-2010, 09:28 PM
      #1
    Trained
    Should I or shouldnt I breed her again?

    My mare foaled early last week (gotta love the early onset of the rainy season) and the poor little man didnt make it much past a day. Possum is ok in herself although you can tell she is a little weirded out by what has happened but all in all she's just back to her normal self.

    I spoke to the vet the day Spirit died and she suggested if I wanted to, to put her back in foal after her foal heat. She had a problem free delivery, is healthy (just needs to gain back a few kilos she lost when the foal was first born) and at the moment, I know this sounds weird, but its like she's trying to get back in with the sire (my stally). She said it could also help her if she did show any signs of depression afterwards.

    Anyhoo, call me crazy, but over the last few days I've been watching her and even though she is over the fence, she has barely left the stallions side. She just stands there and watches him. She will graze for a while but never wanders far from him.

    Yesterday afternoon somehow, the stally got out into her paddock. Beats me how he did it when he is surrounded by 4 strand, 4 1/2 foot electrified fences but anyways...i got home and they were wandering around together and she was more settled and grazed for longer with him. Thankfully her foal heat hadnt started yet as I don't want her to fall on a foal heat.

    I went in and bought her back out and she proceeded to just stand there with him. Normally she will always stay with the herd but she doesn't even follow them around at the moment. Im a little worried about her to be honest

    Now I do want another try at a foal with her and arrow but im wondering if I should wait a bit longer or if I can trust my vet when she says she is fine to go in foal again. She examined her very thoroughly and said she was A-OK but I am a worrier and I wanted to get a bunch of opinions before I decide to do it.

    She seems happier when she is with him and considering I am going to breed them again im thinking I should wait til her foal heat is over and let them hang out together again (i don't hand serve...i let nature take its course except under extreme circumstances. My boy is a gentleman so no need for hand serving they just live in a de facto relationship for a few cycles ;))

    Just after opinions. I've been around this forum long enough to know that this could easily turn into a lecture about why are you breeding them blah blah im not after that im just after an opinion on the question I've asked ;)
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        10-06-2010, 09:38 PM
      #2
    Yearling
    I don't know anything about horse breeding so feel free to disregard this but I would trust my vet on this one, especially if it's a long term, trusted relationship and the vet knows your horse, your set up, your goals, etc.

    I'd probably worry less about trying to anthropomorph-ize her feelings about a lost foal and listen to the vet if that's what you wanted to do.

    Again, I could be totally off base with that but I trust *my* vet team and if you have a similar relationship I'd go on what they suggested.

    Edit: I'm also really sorry to hear about your foal :( I don't know what happened but that must be really hard and terrible to deal with :(
         
        10-06-2010, 10:11 PM
      #3
    Trained
    Well I trust the vet clinic she comes from but she is new there and I have only seen her a few times. Straight out of university. That's the main reason im questioning it. She did seem to know what she was doing and was efficient but she also said cows are her speciality.

    Im more worried about the mare cause she is not herself. I've never seen it but I've been told mares can get pretty down when they lose a foal. But yeah, I know what you mean. I feel for the horses what I would be feeling in that situation not realising they don't necessarily think the same way as us.

    Thanks for the condolences. Its been a tough week especially after fighting to save him :( one of the hardest things I've dealt with in a while and I still cry a lot :( my precious little fella didnt even get a chance...anyways, chin is up and we are moving on cause there is always next year. Its easier that way :)
         
        10-06-2010, 10:28 PM
      #4
    Green Broke
    I don't see how breeding on her foal heat could be a problem if she has checked out as breeding sound. A lot of people breed mares that just had foals back on their foaling cycle. But if you are really concerned about the vet's opinion get a second one, it wouldn't hurt anything.
         
        10-06-2010, 10:52 PM
      #5
    Yearling
    I don't mean to be rude or anything just an idea. But you could geld him then put them together but I mean its up to you its your horses. =)
         
        10-06-2010, 10:59 PM
      #6
    Trained
    Its just because she is an older mare so there is more chance of her slipping a foal conceived on a foal heat. Plus personally, id like to wait a little so there is less chance of labour being triggered early again if the rain starts early again next year. She was only about 3 weeks off this time and we have had so much rain for this time of year that labour was triggered and she dropped him early. He had no strength in his front legs and couldnt get up so he laid in the cold and rain for ages :( next time I want to make sure she still has a couple of months to go at that point. Ill be ****ed if im going to lose another foal to early rain onset.

    I am going to get my normal vet to look over her first. I know it might be a little over the top to some people but when something doesnt feel right in my gut I need to question it more. I knew there was something wrong with the foal even before there was any signs of there being something wrong I just had a very uneasy feeling in my tummy about it all. There was no reason for it it was just a feeling I had. Then again, im a big softy and probably worry way too much about stuff. I guess in the wild she would prob be in foal again by now. I have the vet coming out to clean my stallions thinga-ma-jig tomorrow afternoon (hes a gentleman but not when it comes to cleaning his manhood lol). I just rang and asked and he is fine to give possum the full run over for me. Ill feel better then ;)
         
        10-06-2010, 11:01 PM
      #7
    Trained
    Tasia - he's my breeding stud. I can't geld him just because she wants to be with him now. Im sure it is something that will pass. She didnt want anything to do with him before the foal was born so I doubt they have forged a bond so solid that she can't live with anyone else.

    You werent being rude. It was a practical suggestion IF the stud wasnt an integral part of my long term breeding program ;)
         
        10-06-2010, 11:18 PM
      #8
    Green Broke
    If she gets a clean bill of health and she were mine, I would probably breed her again. Probably just because I am sentimental and it would give me something to look forward to rather than always looking back. But again, I am emotional that way.
         
        10-06-2010, 11:26 PM
      #9
    Trained
    Haha im exactly the same :) the vet even said it would probably benefit me more than her lol I waited 17 months for this foal. It took possum months and months to let the arrow near her and now I have to wait again. I guess I am learning EXTREME patience hehe
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    To Breed or Not To Breed? That is the Question! lilruffian Horse Breeding 17 09-06-2010 03:06 PM
    What breed(s) do you think she is? ShezaCharmer Horse Breeds 1 03-23-2010 10:51 PM
    To Breed or Not To Breed twogeldings Horse Talk 35 11-25-2009 09:23 AM
    To Breed or Not to Breed, That is the question?? aappyfan1 Horse Breeding 14 09-28-2008 11:56 PM
    name the breed.... Leggs Lady Horse Breeds 14 03-18-2008 06:11 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:23 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0