Ok...I was Googling my mare and came across a thread on an Arabian breeding website. I can give the link if interested. Anyway...the thread was discussing Lilly, how she was for sale, her background blah blah blah. Then a woman posts detailing how she had leased Lilly for a short while from "G", her previous owner...Lilly had been hauled down to her ranch last May while in heat, bred to their stallion, "took easily"...but then "G" changed her mind, apparently broke some sort of informal contract, and took Lilly back.
According to the timeframe given here, Lilly was bred about 6 months ago. The owner of the stallion mentions that she supposes
the foal will come back to them but has expressed doubts due to G's flipflopping all over the place.
Ok. I have become very confused and slightly alarmed.
When it is said that a horse "takes easily" after breeding, does that mean they are confirmed pregnant?
Was she sold to us, preggers, without our knowledge???
I have made my mum aware and as is her habit, she wants to sleep on it before deciding what to do. I am a bit more quick twitch...I want to email "K" from that forum, the owner of the stud who supposedly bred my horse 6 months ago, and find out FOR SURE whether or not Lilly was taken back from them pregnant, this year. I want to get a vet out to palpate her (this is not included in a PPE I suppose...could he even tell if not specifically told to look for it??) or ultrasound...
I had asked "G" if Lilly had ever been bred, and she said yes...one filly a few years ago. That was fine. But according to this thread, she was bred LAST MAY and could very well be PREGNANT right this instant. As in...sold to us in foal without our knowledge.
I hope I am just freaking out over nothing but it's still...yeah.
A quote from the stallion owner on that forum:
"This is a really nice mare. Her registered name is CP Lilly Fair. She is sired by a Rastano son L. Habac and out of an L Bravo daughter L Lady Fair. We began a lease on this mare and bred her to Dias back in May but _____ chose to take her back in July. If doing business with her I would do a cash purchase and not depend on a contract with her. Also the breeding is not paid for so the foal is supposedly coming back to us. Don't know if she will honor a verbal contract any better than she honored a written one though so who knows. One of our biggest disappointments in this horse business. We really liked _____ and Lilly! Always learning lessons in this world I guess."
It is very hard for me to not just email Dias' owner or do any other number of things right now. I have to let my mother think this through and wait til morning...but I thought I would start this thread if nothing else, because...ah...