son n mother inbreeding on by accident
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeding

son n mother inbreeding on by accident

This is a discussion on son n mother inbreeding on by accident within the Horse Breeding forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category
  • Inbreeding in horses mother son
  • Mother and son inbreeding problems

Like Tree18Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    09-22-2011, 01:14 PM
  #1
Foal
Question son n mother inbreeding on by accident

Hi guys this is my first post on top of having my first horse,been riding for awhile just my first owned horse named "Regalo". Regalo is a morgan. Regalo was given to me by owner because he was the result of an accidental inbreed between son n mother. So my question is. What if any health possibilities can I expect since such close inbreeding involved. My appologies if this ia dumb question. Both mare n sire are very healthy horses. Thanks for any help.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    09-22-2011, 01:29 PM
  #2
mls
Trained
Your horse is gelded? I hope!

Basically while not ideal - it's not a death sentence. Any bad traits can be more pronounced. I would find out if there is anything that runs in the family (bad legs, eye issues, etc)

Other wise - carry on as normal with the routine health care!
StacyRz likes this.
     
    09-22-2011, 01:31 PM
  #3
Showing
What mls said.

While not an ideal breeding, I wouldn't worry overmuch.
     
    09-22-2011, 08:12 PM
  #4
Weanling
It actually happens more than you think. A lot of breed registries will have the same ancestor multiple times. My Rocky's grandfather and father were the same horse!
     
    09-22-2011, 08:55 PM
  #5
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by momo3boys    
It actually happens more than you think. A lot of breed registries will have the same ancestor multiple times. My Rocky's grandfather and father were the same horse!

This happens on Jerry Springer show quite a bit as well.
     
    09-23-2011, 12:16 AM
  #6
Trained
Just remember it's only inbreeding if you don't like the results. Otherwise it's LINEBREEDING. LOL!
EthanQ likes this.
     
    09-23-2011, 12:26 AM
  #7
Foal
^^^LOL Dreamcatcher
     
    09-28-2011, 05:53 PM
  #8
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians    
Just remember it's only inbreeding if you don't like the results. Otherwise it's LINEBREEDING. LOL!
Perfectly said lol!
     
    09-28-2011, 06:25 PM
  #9
Trained
Line breeding and in breeding are not the same thing, for what it's worth.

In this case, you should be fine. The ONLY problem with in breeding is a simple genetics one. Say that Horse A is bred to Horse B, and foals Horse C. Horse C has 50% of each parent's genetic material. If Horse A had some recessive gene that caused something bad, for this example lets say "bunky leg syndrome", it has a 50% chance of passing that recessive gene on to Horse C. If Horse C, which has a 50% chance of carrying the Bunky Leg gene, is crossed to Horse A, who carries Bunky Leg but the owners don't realise, the resulting foal, Horse D, has a 50% chance to get a copy of Bunky Leg from Horse A, and a 50% chance of getting a copy from Horse C. Before you panic though, this does not equal a 100% chance to have the Bunky Leg gene. What this does mean, is that there is a 25% chance of having NO Bunky Leg, 50% chance of having one copy of the gene, and 25% chance of having TWO copies of the gene. Having two copies of Bunky Leg Syndrome gene will then cause Horse D to display the Bunky Leg traits.

So as you can see, in breeding like this just gives you a chance of doubling up on hidden recessive genes that the closely related horses might both be carrying. It does NOT give you mutant foals, foals with three heads, or foals that are always sickly.
NdAppy and StacyRz like this.
     
    09-28-2011, 07:01 PM
  #10
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiilaa    
Line breeding and in breeding are not the same thing, for what it's worth.

In this case, you should be fine. The ONLY problem with in breeding is a simple genetics one. Say that Horse A is bred to Horse B, and foals Horse C. Horse C has 50% of each parent's genetic material. If Horse A had some recessive gene that caused something bad, for this example lets say "bunky leg syndrome", it has a 50% chance of passing that recessive gene on to Horse C. If Horse C, which has a 50% chance of carrying the Bunky Leg gene, is crossed to Horse A, who carries Bunky Leg but the owners don't realise, the resulting foal, Horse D, has a 50% chance to get a copy of Bunky Leg from Horse A, and a 50% chance of getting a copy from Horse C. Before you panic though, this does not equal a 100% chance to have the Bunky Leg gene. What this does mean, is that there is a 25% chance of having NO Bunky Leg, 50% chance of having one copy of the gene, and 25% chance of having TWO copies of the gene. Having two copies of Bunky Leg Syndrome gene will then cause Horse D to display the Bunky Leg traits.

So as you can see, in breeding like this just gives you a chance of doubling up on hidden recessive genes that the closely related horses might both be carrying. It does NOT give you mutant foals, foals with three heads, or foals that are always sickly.
Good job explaining. I'm really surprised at how many people think they can "pick out" an inbred animal. I've raised dogs for 20 or so years. I always have told people, when you think you're doubling up on the good, remember you're also doubling up on the bad. Linebreeding and inbreeding should only be done by experienced breeders. Whether a horse or dog, I like to see the whole package (ex. A German Shepherd conformationally correct that can also work.)
People are always so quick to blame every fault be it behavioral or conformational on "ohhh it's inbred" without even seeing the pedigree when in fact it probably is not.

Edit to add, by experienced breeders, I mean someone who know the history of several horses/dogs whatever... in several generation...I am not referring to people who just pump out these animals "because they can."
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about inbreeding... dynamite. Horse Breeding 14 10-13-2009 01:23 PM
FRIENDLY Debate. Inbreeding vs. Line Breeding smrobs Horse Breeding 25 05-31-2009 01:05 PM
New Mother - Need Help stacy l Meet the Community 3 05-26-2007 01:06 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0