Yes...you read that right.
I'm not sure whether I'm mad or excited, honestly. I've noticed over the past month or two that Sour's been looking pudgy, but since I was laid up after surgery then cracking a bone in my hand and haven't been working her very hard, I assumed that she was getting fat. Rookie's mistake, right?
Not really. I casually mentioned to the BO's son today that she was getting really fat, and he answered me 'yeah, that baby is going to be big!' then paused, stared at me wide-eyed, goes 'uh...' and walks off quickly. Ofcourse, I was immediately suspicious, and went to talk to the BO's wife.
...turns out, Sour was bred by AI at the same time that one of our other mares were bred- and everyone decided not to tell me because 'they didnt want to get my hopes up.' Right. I don't believe that for a second, but whatever. I'm pretty sure that they just know I didn't want her re-bred, mostly because of the problems we had with that still-born colt Keegan, and because although she has fantastic bloodlines, she's still unproven and has a considerably straight back, even though the rest of her conformation is nice. And it was easier to put off telling me.
Well, cats out of the bag, and as annoyed as I am, I really can't do anything about it. After all, I don't actually own Sour and its their horse. I'm atleast glad that she's bred to a very reputable stud, and so long as the baby inherits it's sire's back, it should be very nice with good blood on both sides. I just wish they would of told me before. But they didnt really owe it to me or anything...I'm just a volunteer. She's gotten all over her prenatal care (also unknown to me) and is on the same feed as our other broodies and working minis, so I don't have to worry about that, and she's a LOT easier to handle than last year. Still, I'm just a little annoyed. I'll get over it though. I'm just hoping for a nice, healthy baby, and praying that Sour doesn't have any complications.
ANYWAYS, enough blabbing from me. She's due July 10th, and I'm secretly hoping for a Fourth-of-July baby
Any guesses on gender and color? Date that it will be delivered? No pictures yet, I forgot to snap some today but there will be plenty later!
Also, how long can I safely keep working her? As of right now I'm lunging her for 15-20 minutes a day, w-t-c (mostly trot) and driving once or twice a week for about 25 minutes and w-t. How long before I start driving her again? What do I do with baby (provided that its healthy) when I'm working her in the cart? She's still considerably green but I was hoping to use her in our fundraiser this October and a parade next February. The foal would be about 6 months old by February, possibly 7, so that wont interfere with anything, but how about October? The baby would only be three months old at that point. Is that old enough that I can seperate them for 2-3 hours twice a week for her to work? Or will she be too worried about the baby?
Sorry for the million questions guys, my head is spinning.