Periodically I get curious about how other people shop for stallions and what they feel are decent stud or breeding fees? What are your average costs for collection and shipping?
I talked to a retired QH breeder not too long ago and he said, "We've stood many stallions since 1960 and never had a stud fee over $500.". He only retired a couple of years ago and to him having a stud fee of $500 or less was a matter of pride, he had some world champs and he wanted them available to just about anyone.
Most Arabian stallions started around $1,000 or $1,500 when I got into Arabians in the 90's and they had all been shown successfully at Scottsdale or Nationals and the earliest I ever saw having breedings sold was 2 years old and you had to wait until the 4 y.o. Year to use it, normally.
Now I see youngsters at 6 months being advertised for $2500, see 2 y.o. With foals coming and nobody has been shown......I'm appalled and I'm shocked that people are BUYING these breedings.
My horse, who has a fairly extensive & successful show record in both main ring & sport horse, is at $1500 and only so that the few programs I have him in will get at least $750 (they're half priced stallion service programs) to benefit the programs. I have the buyer call OSU and give their info to the billing office at the Vet School so that they only get charged what the school charges for collection & shipping. They use disposable containers, so no deposits required. I charge $50 to take the horse to and from the vet for collection to pay for the gas. The breeding farm where they do all the collections and breeding services is approximately 45 mins from my house and I'm usually there at least 2 hrs, they're that busy.
I offer all kinds of discounts, multi mare, multi booking, USN, Iowa Gold Star & Scottsdale TT or above mare discounts, Aristocrat mare discounts, so on and on.
We have one of the most generous Live Foal Guarantees around (30 days) and even at that, if someone had a foal who had serious issue and notified me that the foal might live longer than 30 days but still was at risk, I'd work with them on a case by case basis. I mean, the goal is that the breeding buyer gets a foal, right? Oh and I don't do 're-breeding' fees either, that's a crock.
What else are you looking for (all the pedigree and conformation issues being equal) when you are deciding which stallion to book to?