Howdy. I am new to the forum. I've been around horses on and off throughout my life. Last year we adopted a geriatric mare and her pasture mate. To make a short story long, this summer we had to have the old lady humanely put down as she had an impaction colic and the vet said 30 was too old to operate. Her pasture mate was incredibly lonely and a friend said she had a free horse off her ranch for us. Well, we ended up bringing THREE horses home! Then Dottie, the pasture mate, became OBSESSED with the ponies (if she were human, she'd have had a restraining order against her) and so we found her an incredible home so we are just down to the three: a POA, a tobiano Welsh cross, and a paint breeding stock mare. The woman who gave them to us told me that the neighboring ranch had a paint stud who'd gotten out onto their ranch. She "thought" they'd finally gotten the owner to remove him by about January or February. Well, we've gotten everyone vaccinated with a 3-way plus tetanus (vet said its too late for pneumabort) and on good quality hay and minerals in addition to the 8.5 acres of pasture. I'm including a video I shot a couple weeks ago. I have NOT taken them for an ultrasound or palpation because there is an horrific outbreak of pigeon fever in the county, and I don't want to chance that the clinic might have had a horse with it come through. I've heard it can cause abortion? Plus, corynebacterium can cause caseous lymphadentitis in goats and I raise boers. I do NOT want CL or the exudate in/on my property.
...soooooo, I would rather wait to get the girls tested. Please check out the video and tell me what you think: