Thinking about buying a mare in foal, but...
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeding

Thinking about buying a mare in foal, but...

This is a discussion on Thinking about buying a mare in foal, but... within the Horse Breeding forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category

    Like Tree15Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        08-04-2013, 05:32 AM
      #1
    Yearling
    Thinking about buying a mare in foal, but...

    Just bouncing this off the community as this is-for the moment anyway-hypothetical until I get some more information. Sorry for the novel, but I'm trying ot give you folks all the info you need to make suggestions.

    There is a mare I am thinking about buying. The mare is in foal to a stud with many championships with a late Jan 2014 due date so it's not like a backyard breeding thing. I don't want the foal as I am really not interested in raising or training one, mostly because I haven't the experience. I wouldn't normally look twice at a mare in foal to buy but this mare seems to be everything I am looking for in my next horse, nice temperament, well rounded, lightly shown and well trained.

    Now, the seller did tell me she would consider taking the foal back, with a corresponding drop in the sale price for this mare. My trainer is quite experienced at breeding/foaling out and she assures me that really it wouldn't be that hard. She stands her own stud and has four on the ground already this year. In fact my trainer thinks I should consider keeping the foal given the quality breeding to either raise or sell myself...I'm not sure on that point yet. Bottom line is that I have a place with experienced people to foal out the mare and help me along the way.

    Anyway, I'm sure other people here have done something similar. How have you worked that out? I know we'd need a decent contract and insurance on the horse but should the mare go back to the seller to foal out (so that any imprinting, etc would be done by them) or did you folks foal them out and then make the exchange once the foal was weaned. How about costs, who should cover what vet bills? Also, any general advice would be appreciated.

    Note: I'd rather not give out too much info on the mare because she isn't mine but the stud can be found here:

    http://www.stormyacresappaloosas.com...0/Stallion.htm

    I don't do halter, but the stud seems to be rather well campaigned and I would think if I kept the foal he/she would be rather easy to sell, again my trainer/best buddy is very experienced at that and would be helping me out should I decide to just buy her outright. But I do worry about that, given how soft the market is right now and I don't see that improving anytime soon.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        08-04-2013, 07:50 PM
      #2
    Banned
    Just remember that you can talk about it logically now, but keep in mind that after the foal is born it will be around for at least 4 months till it is weaned, and you are going to get mighty attached to it...
         
        08-04-2013, 08:37 PM
      #3
    Yearling
    Well that's true enough LOL, but honestly I haven't the skill nor the time to put into one that young. The gal who is selling has decided to keep the mare at my trainer's place for a month's brushing up so I will get a really good opportunity to get to know her. I'm sure I'll know rather quickly whether or not the mare will be worth the hassle.
         
        08-04-2013, 09:23 PM
      #4
    Green Broke
    Probably not much help here, as I've not experienced this - I'm sure many have, however! My thought is to go with your absolute gut feeling about the situation, and yes, a very good idea to have a contract written. I can't help but to ask, (thinking of what Jan. Is like up here), but is the breeder also located in MI? Maybe you guys are further south... The very best of luck in your decision - sounds exciting for you! :)
         
        08-04-2013, 09:55 PM
      #5
    Green Broke
    I say if you really want the mare then go for it.

    In the sales you can always have that if you do decide to sell the foal then you will go to the mares owner first before selling. That way you have an out. It wont just be you're giving the foal back with not options and you have a potential home if you do decide not to keep it.
         
        08-04-2013, 10:43 PM
      #6
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Faceman    
    Just remember that you can talk about it logically now, but keep in mind that after the foal is born it will be around for at least 4 months till it is weaned, and you are going to get mighty attached to it...
    Isn't that true. It didn't take me very long to get 2 horses. That's the dangerous part with opportunities that fall in your lap.


    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DimSum    
    Well that's true enough LOL, but honestly I haven't the skill nor the time to put into one that young.
    Raising a good foal is not difficult if you are willing to invest time and work into it AND ask for help or use advice of someone who knows how to raise a well rounded horse.

    Owning a green horse, stallion or horse with difficult behaviour is a different story. You definitely need the training and experience for that.
    dbarabians and demonwolfmoon like this.
         
        08-05-2013, 04:19 AM
      #7
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northernstar    
    Probably not much help here, as I've not experienced this - I'm sure many have, however! My thought is to go with your absolute gut feeling about the situation, and yes, a very good idea to have a contract written. I can't help but to ask, (thinking of what Jan. Is like up here), but is the breeder also located in MI? Maybe you guys are further south... The very best of luck in your decision - sounds exciting for you! :)
    I worried about that too, but my trainer's place is setup as a breeding operation complete with heaters, etc.
         
        08-05-2013, 04:23 AM
      #8
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roperchick    
    in the sales you can always have that if you do decide to sell the foal then you will go to the mares owner first before selling. That way you have an out. It wont just be you're giving the foal back with not options and you have a potential home if you do decide not to keep it.
    Hmm, almost a "first right of refusal"contract-that has possibilities I like it.
    Roperchick likes this.
         
        08-09-2013, 01:34 AM
      #9
    Trained
    Most mares have no issues foaling and foals do not take that much time until they are trained under saddle. Most training sessions with a foal should be short 15-30 minutes . Their attention span is not very long.
    If you want the mare and the foal is that well bred why not buy the mare and sell the foal as a weanling?
    The market is improving in the horse industry and a good foal at a reasonable price that is marketed as such should find a good home. I have never had a problem selling a good horse.
    Good luck . Shalom
    KigerQueen likes this.
         
        08-09-2013, 03:27 AM
      #10
    Yearling
    Well, the mare arrives at my trainer's barn today so I will get to see her and watch others work with her-I'm still limited physically as I'm only 3 weeks out from having my knee replaced so I'm sidelined for a few weeks yet.

    Thanks to all for the replies!
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    I'm thinking of buying this mare...your opinions? BekahBear Horse Conformation Critique 8 05-06-2013 07:30 AM
    Thinking about buying this western pleasure mare MyLittlePonies Horse Breeding 2 04-17-2012 10:07 PM
    thinking about buying... SarahAnn Horse Talk 9 12-04-2011 06:21 PM
    Thinking of Buying BarrelRacer23 Horse Riding Critique 1 10-30-2011 02:18 PM
    Thinking of buying this mare?? megarcher25 Horse Riding Critique 9 06-01-2011 05:13 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:42 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0