Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: North Dakota, USA
If you really want the mare, sit down with the owner and discuss the issues and then put it in writing. Whether you wait until after the foal is born or weaned before you take ownership of the mare or you take ownership now and then what to do with the foal. Go thru any and all scenarios and come to an agreement on what would happen for each. Then get it in writing.
Here's my reasoning on the deal. Whomever has ownership, they are really responsible for the vet bills. If you buy the mare now, the foal is yours unless you agree to give it back. Maybe you could put in the agreement, if you are giving the foal back, to split the vet bills.
If it was me and I liked and wanted the mare, I would buy her outright. After the foal is born, you can decide then to keep or sell. A foal is going to take some looking after but the mare will do most of that. I'm not big on imprinting. If that's what you want to do, great. I don't think it has to be done. About the only thing you should do with a foal is to get them used to being handled or touched. It would be easier to halter break them or at least get used to the halter but that can wait too. If you can lead the mare, the foal will follow.
That's just my 2 cents since I haven't dealt with a truly newborn. The youngest I have dealt with, so far since we have one due very soon, was about 3weeks old. We had someone halter break her but we didn't do much else besides grooming and hooves for the first year.
Posted via Mobile Device