A thought about breeding... - Page 13
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeding

A thought about breeding...

This is a discussion on A thought about breeding... within the Horse Breeding forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        07-18-2011, 11:16 PM
      #121
    Foal
    Never tryed to I was trying to get everyone to see the BIG picture. Hollywood is nice looking horse that has proble passed on lots of great horses. I never said one displine or another or one breed over another.
    The shear number of horses that are abused or homeless is overwhelming is all.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        07-18-2011, 11:49 PM
      #122
    Trained
    I understand what you are saying and I agree that there are a lot of horses who need homes. What you are not seeing is that the responsible breeders who are breeding quality horses are not the big problem. They are more of the solution. If more people bred responsible by breeding for a market that is not over populated and stopped breeding the horses that have no market and there are plenty of then the problem would not be a problem. What I am saying is that the market that I breed for is not over populated.
         
        07-18-2011, 11:54 PM
      #123
    Banned
    I think most of us know the big picture. I have had horses for over 50 years and was a breeder for 20, and nrhareiner has many years of experience. You are absolutely right in the overpopulation problem...anyone that would argue with that would have to be blind to the world around them. But the very best horses in each breed and each discipline within a breed should continue to be bred. Without that, all breeds will deteriorate. I stopped breeding 7 years ago when the demand went down because I bred, raised, and trained good horses, but not the best. Like you, I wish that more people would do the same. I also wish the mass breeders would curtail their programs, although some have, and I wish backyard breeders would curtail their breeding also. But we don't need to stop breeding altogether. What we need is for top breeders to continue to breed as usual, with everyone else cutting their breeding down. But sadly, people don't look at the big picture - they pretty much don't look behind their fenceline, and unknowingly they are doing a disservice to the animals they profess to love...
         
        07-18-2011, 11:57 PM
      #124
    Weanling
    Wow, didn't think my question would start such a thread.

    Nrhareiner - I agree with a lot on what you said.

    I will say one thing about breeding grades. If it hadn't been for breeding grades we would not have a lot of horses we do today, such as the morgan, QH, twh, saddlebred, Rocky Mountain, and quite a few others. I do believe that sometimes, if aiming for a goal or specific type, breeding grade type horses is okay.

    On the other hand, I am working towards breeding sporthorses. I am trying hard to make sure I pic stallions and broodmares in which I can paper the resulting foal. I do like having the knowledge that goes with having papers. Someone mentioned about how the papers are causing people to breed strickly for one purpose. That is not true - how do you think we ended up with papered horses in the first place. Someone saw something in a horse (ie Justin Morgan) and wanted it. They bred mares and kept track of the babies. Those babies that best exemplified the traits of the stallions they bred again. How do you keep track after a few generations - with papers. Presto, you have your registered Morgans.

    I myself am breeding for a ideal. I have it in my head. I am striving for papers, however, if I find I need to breed to a stallion or mare without the resulting foal having papers, I will do it. Then again, I plan on keeping certain fillies to breed and am not breeding just to sell. (ps - the last few statements were not directed at you nhrareiner)
         
        07-19-2011, 12:06 AM
      #125
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Faceman    
    I think most of us know the big picture. I have had horses for over 50 years and was a breeder for 20, and nrhareiner has many years of experience. You are absolutely right in the overpopulation problem...anyone that would argue with that would have to be blind to the world around them. But the very best horses in each breed and each discipline within a breed should continue to be bred. Without that, all breeds will deteriorate. I stopped breeding 7 years ago when the demand went down because I bred, raised, and trained good horses, but not the best. Like you, I wish that more people would do the same. I also wish the mass breeders would curtail their programs, although some have, and I wish backyard breeders would curtail their breeding also. But we don't need to stop breeding altogether. What we need is for top breeders to continue to breed as usual, with everyone else cutting their breeding down. But sadly, people don't look at the big picture - they pretty much don't look behind their fenceline, and unknowingly they are doing a disservice to the animals they profess to love...
    I agree with you Faceman.
    My biggest problem is that I just started in the breeding business. Its been a longtime dream come true in the worst economy we've seen in awhile.
    I have probably bred a couple more mares than I should but I am trying to make sure that I breed wisely. Luckily I have a good mentor who is helping me.
         
        07-19-2011, 12:08 AM
      #126
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crossover    
    . (ps - the last few statements were not directed at you nhrareiner)

    Did not think you where. I breed with selling in mind. That way if I end up with say a colt which at this point I do not really want I have a market for that horse. Also with the cost of training a reiner in the $35K-$50K the fact is that I need to sell a few to pay for that. Not to mention the average stud fees and breeding expenses.

    I really wish more people would look at breeding as a business. One that you need to produce a product that someone finds value in and will want and buy for good money. This is one of the few business that this is not the case which is what really hurts.
         
        07-19-2011, 12:18 AM
      #127
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nrhareiner    
    Did not think you where. I breed with selling in mind. That way if I end up with say a colt which at this point I do not really want I have a market for that horse. Also with the cost of training a reiner in the $35K-$50K the fact is that I need to sell a few to pay for that. Not to mention the average stud fees and breeding expenses.

    I really wish more people would look at breeding as a business. One that you need to produce a product that someone finds value in and will want and buy for good money. This is one of the few business that this is not the case which is what really hurts.
    My mentor is also trying to get me to look at it more of a business. She doesn't keep any of her fillies to breed, she says she can go out an buy a mare if she wishes to improve. Which I believe is true at first, but I think after a few generations with a goal in mind you wouldn't be able too buy what you breed. I havn't seen a horse yet that meets the goal I have in mind. When I do, I'll sell the rest and buy it.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:26 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0