Hi, I'm looking at possibly breeding a Holsteiner mare. I have a few questions, so please let me know what you think and if you know the answers! I'll just number them, so you can too if you want
1. She is 17.1 and BIG bodied. I was thinking of breeding for a taller horse. Like, looking at 17.2/3++ stallions to raise the chance of getting a taller foal. Is this a good idea, or should I go shorter?
I know also that personality traits, and gaits etc. are more important than height but I'm just wondering aboutthe height part.
2. How much does vet cost through out the 11-12 months
3. Any pros/cons/experience with frozen semen and insemination?
4. I'm looking for a good eventing prospect out of this. Other than the obvious bloodline success, is there anything else less-known that I should look for in a stallion?
5. What would I be able to sell a foal for in this economy with the Cicero, Accord II on dams side, and whatever others on the stallion side, registered and inspected? Would it be a better idea to wait, put in the time a training to start him/her?
I mean, I guess, at what point is it a balance of best/most profitable to sell the foal? Wait til 3? 8? I mean just want some ideas. Thanks!