Hi, I'm looking at possibly breeding a Holsteiner mare. I have a few questions, so please let me know what you think and if you know the answers! I'll just number them, so you can too if you want Here goes:
1. She is 17.1 and BIG bodied. I was thinking of breeding for a taller horse. Like, looking at 17.2/3++ stallions to raise the chance of getting a taller foal. Is this a good idea, or should I go shorter?
I know also that personality traits, and gaits etc. are more important than height but I'm just wondering aboutthe height part.
2. How much does vet cost through out the 11-12 months
3. Any pros/cons/experience with frozen semen and insemination?
4. I'm looking for a good eventing prospect out of this. Other than the obvious bloodline success, is there anything else less-known that I should look for in a stallion?
5. What would I be able to sell a foal for in this economy with the Cicero, Accord II on dams side, and whatever others on the stallion side, registered and inspected? Would it be a better idea to wait, put in the time a training to start him/her?
I mean, I guess, at what point is it a balance of best/most profitable to sell the foal? Wait til 3? 8? I mean just want some ideas. Thanks!