VELENCIA'S Growing, Training & Playtime Adventures! - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeding

VELENCIA'S Growing, Training & Playtime Adventures!

This is a discussion on VELENCIA'S Growing, Training & Playtime Adventures! within the Horse Breeding forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category

    Like Tree434Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        03-16-2014, 12:49 AM
      #21
    Yearling
    Her facial expression in the purple halter is funny. She looks not quite sure of all this.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    L8rg8r likes this.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        03-16-2014, 06:32 AM
      #22
    Weanling
    Yeah I'm glad the purple halter isn't too small. She hates when I leave a halter loose on her face, hence the un-enthused expression. Selena is accepting her a little more each day. When Vee first got here she was not impressed. I'm hoping I can have them introduced and together within a month, but we'll see!
    Yogiwick and L8rg8r like this.
         
        03-16-2014, 07:36 PM
      #23
    Green Broke
    I think once she warms up they'll be inseparable. Just big sister jealously. Completely normal...even in humans :P
    EnduranceLover6 and L8rg8r like this.
         
        03-16-2014, 07:57 PM
      #24
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yogiwick    
    I think once she warms up they'll be inseparable. Just big sister jealously. Completely normal...even in humans :P
    I think so too I am a big sister so I know ALL about it! Ironically, we turned Selena & Vee out in the indoor together this afternoon with the help of Megan & my barn manager. I was VERY nervous about the whole thing, but I couldn't put it off forever. Selena started off kind of sassy and overpowering, and Vee was of course too brave for her own good. She was all over poor Selena, who eventually had enough of it and kicked her (lightly) in the chest. I screamed, picturing her little legs snapping in half, but Vee just trotted off with her ears perked up and her little head shaking like she was mad lol. After that she payed close attention Selena's body language and didn't go up behind her anymore. Selena was very tolerate as well, gave her warning but always kept her eye on her as if interesting in her. I was happy to see them both okay with each other. It was a big step for me to let go a little

    THEN, later tonight Meg helped me "attempt" to rasp Vee's feet because her toes are getting a little long. I figured I'd give it a shot since she's been good about picking up her feet the past few days but had no expectations. To my surprise she stood right there like a superstar and even let me bring her leg forward onto my thigh to do a downward rasp! I'm so lucky to have such a smart & willing baby.
         
        03-16-2014, 08:46 PM
      #25
    Yearling
    Wow! Glad she and Selena got along so well! I probably would have done the same thing if I saw a full grown horse kick a foal, but like you said, it was probably just a warning to not get up in her space. That's so cool she let you rasp her feet. Sounds like she's really bonded with you.
    EnduranceLover6 and L8rg8r like this.
         
        03-17-2014, 11:36 AM
      #26
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EnduranceLover6    
    I think so too I am a big sister so I know ALL about it! Ironically, we turned Selena & Vee out in the indoor together this afternoon with the help of Megan & my barn manager. I was VERY nervous about the whole thing, but I couldn't put it off forever. Selena started off kind of sassy and overpowering, and Vee was of course too brave for her own good. She was all over poor Selena, who eventually had enough of it and kicked her (lightly) in the chest. I screamed, picturing her little legs snapping in half, but Vee just trotted off with her ears perked up and her little head shaking like she was mad lol. After that she payed close attention Selena's body language and didn't go up behind her anymore. Selena was very tolerate as well, gave her warning but always kept her eye on her as if interesting in her. I was happy to see them both okay with each other. It was a big step for me to let go a little

    THEN, later tonight Meg helped me "attempt" to rasp Vee's feet because her toes are getting a little long. I figured I'd give it a shot since she's been good about picking up her feet the past few days but had no expectations. To my surprise she stood right there like a superstar and even let me bring her leg forward onto my thigh to do a downward rasp! I'm so lucky to have such a smart & willing baby.
    A good big sister puts her little sister in place. I'm sure you know all about that (I am also a big sister haha)

    Also, any good role model DOES put a foal in their place and disciplines while looking out for them. Sounds like Selena handled it perfectly. Once she gets over the little usurper they will be perfect, I'm sure.

    She's just perfect OK? Haha. She really is. I still think she will be beyond easy to train as long as you make her think it was her idea.
    EnduranceLover6 and L8rg8r like this.
         
        03-17-2014, 11:44 AM
      #27
    Foal
    What a cutie!

    I watched Maverick get kicked at and nipped when he first went in with the older horses. It only lasted a bit though while they all got used to each other. Now he has 5 parents (3 mares and 2 geldings) who all protect him. He'll lay down in the middle of them and they'll take turns standing over him while he sleeps.

    Does she do the baby teeth clacking to the older horses? When I first introduced Maverick to our herd he ran up to each horse clacking his teeth saying "I'm a baby, I'm a baby! Please don't hurt me!"

    Unfortunately for him, now that he's almost 11 months old, he's starting to think maybe he can push the other horses around. He kicked out at the boss gelding the other day and then immediately ran away clacking his teeth. The other gelding gave him a half-hearted chase, but Maverick's going to be in for a rude awakening one of these days when no one believes his teeth clacking anymore!
         
        03-17-2014, 08:04 PM
      #28
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yogiwick    
    A good big sister puts her little sister in place. I'm sure you know all about that (I am also a big sister haha)

    Also, any good role model DOES put a foal in their place and disciplines while looking out for them. Sounds like Selena handled it perfectly. Once she gets over the little usurper they will be perfect, I'm sure.

    She's just perfect OK? Haha. She really is. I still think she will be beyond easy to train as long as you make her think it was her idea.
    Okay...okay I am glad Selena corrected her, and gently enough to get her point across.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by liltuktuk    
    What a cutie!

    I watched Maverick get kicked at and nipped when he first went in with the older horses. It only lasted a bit though while they all got used to each other. Now he has 5 parents (3 mares and 2 geldings) who all protect him. He'll lay down in the middle of them and they'll take turns standing over him while he sleeps.

    Does she do the baby teeth clacking to the older horses? When I first introduced Maverick to our herd he ran up to each horse clacking his teeth saying "I'm a baby, I'm a baby! Please don't hurt me!"

    Unfortunately for him, now that he's almost 11 months old, he's starting to think maybe he can push the other horses around. He kicked out at the boss gelding the other day and then immediately ran away clacking his teeth. The other gelding gave him a half-hearted chase, but Maverick's going to be in for a rude awakening one of these days when no one believes his teeth clacking anymore!
    She definitely does the clacking, I think all babies do. That's funny that Maverick uses it to his advantage!

    Today was another great day. Picked out & rasped all 4 of Vee's feet tonight BY MYSELF. Took me a little while to get her to stop fidgeting but once she caught on she stood right there with slack in the lead rope. It was a huge/scary step for her to be so good with her hind legs, not to mention the feeling of having them lifted and rasped. Lol

    I also turned her and Selena out together again in the indoor arena. My outdoor paddock is still under "construction" so the indoor is all she is getting for exercise/turnout at the moment. Selena was MUCH more tolerant of her tonight...only lifted a leg and placed it back down once to warn her, but other than that they stood close by each other multiple time and even ran around with each other with no fighting or worries. I'm working on uploading the videos for you guys

    But in the meantime...

    Vee says "Peek-A-Boo!"
    1521962_10201436976277929_888788184_n.jpg
         
        03-18-2014, 08:45 PM
      #29
    Weanling
    Video of her turnout the past week and her second time in the indoor with Selena. She went outside all by herself tonight in the paddock to explore and investigate all the snow...I think the snowbanks are twice as big as she is! Lol

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7sz...ature=youtu.be
         
        03-18-2014, 10:25 PM
      #30
    Green Broke
    Oh my goodness... how cute!!!

    She's definitely adorable with Selena! And boy do you have a lot of snow. We looked like that not too long ago but it all melted.. yours looks pretty fresh!! Poor Vee haha.
    EnduranceLover6 and L8rg8r like this.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Blanket rubs & Growing back a tail Cookie4 Horse Grooming 5 02-13-2013 05:58 PM
    ~*Buckshot's Training Adventures*~ ArabianChic Member Journals 7 05-09-2011 10:19 AM
    Growing horses and training Marrissa Horse Training 5 03-24-2010 12:10 AM
    The Adventures of Gabi & Mel Boy!!! KiwiRyder Member Journals 18 05-01-2009 02:03 PM
    Growing Up Baby 2: FInally Pictures! & More Troubles MemoryForStormy Horse Breeding 8 06-06-2008 07:14 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:29 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0