What colors to make buckskin? - Page 3 - The Horse Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 85 Old 12-18-2009, 08:59 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 4,510
• Horses: 2
His stud fee is $850. And he's a lot better looking and more accomplished then the perlino stud.

Your chances would pretty much be 50/50 for a grulla or a red dun, with bay dun also being a possibility if your mare carries agouti. However, the dun is by no means guaranteed - you're almost just as likely to get another sorrel foal depending on the zygosity of the genetics on the pair.

I would love a sabino Arabian - I think they are gorgeous. I've planned for awhile to breed my mare to Khartoon Khlassic. Am I doing it because he's sabino? No. I'm doing it because I love the way he is built. The sabino is a bonus, even though I'm aware she may not throw a sabino foal. If Khartoon Khlassic died, would I breed to his accomplished son Pikhasso? Probably not - I am not fond of the way he's built even though he has sabino.

We all have colors we'd love to have, but buying is the only way to get those colors in a good looking foal. We all love unique colors, but breeding is a crapshoot at best. My chestnut mare comes from many lines of bays and blacks, her dam was bay and her sire was black and oh, lookie, another dang chestnut! That's the way it is though - you simply cannot breed for color. If you manage to find a good stud with a color you like, it's an ok risk, but never a guarantee. But how good is the fun colored baby going to be when it doesn't have the conformation to do anything but sit in a pasture?

Quote:
I hope God tells her to smash her computer with a sledgehammer.

MacabreMikolaj is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 85 Old 12-18-2009, 09:34 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Higgins, TX. YeeHaw!!
Posts: 22,059
• Horses: 24
Another thing that bugs me about Pocos Blue Eyed King is; if he has such perfect conformation, why don't they have any full body pix of him??

Always remember that feeling of looking at a big, open country over the ears of a good horse, seeing a new trail unwind ahead of you, and that ever-spectacular view from the top of the ridge!!! Follow my training blog: http://robertsontraining.blogspot.com/
smrobs is offline  
post #23 of 85 Old 12-18-2009, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,082
• Horses: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacabreMikolaj View Post
His stud fee is $850. And he's a lot better looking and more accomplished then the perlino stud.

Your chances would pretty much be 50/50 for a grulla or a red dun, with bay dun also being a possibility if your mare carries agouti. However, the dun is by no means guaranteed - you're almost just as likely to get another sorrel foal depending on the zygosity of the genetics on the pair.

I would love a sabino Arabian - I think they are gorgeous. I've planned for awhile to breed my mare to Khartoon Khlassic. Am I doing it because he's sabino? No. I'm doing it because I love the way he is built. The sabino is a bonus, even though I'm aware she may not throw a sabino foal. If Khartoon Khlassic died, would I breed to his accomplished son Pikhasso? Probably not - I am not fond of the way he's built even though he has sabino.

We all have colors we'd love to have, but buying is the only way to get those colors in a good looking foal. We all love unique colors, but breeding is a crapshoot at best. My chestnut mare comes from many lines of bays and blacks, her dam was bay and her sire was black and oh, lookie, another dang chestnut! That's the way it is though - you simply cannot breed for color. If you manage to find a good stud with a color you like, it's an ok risk, but never a guarantee. But how good is the fun colored baby going to be when it doesn't have the conformation to do anything but sit in a pasture?

I totally agree with you and I'm not exactly looking for color but a good conformation horse that can perform. I just came across the perlino because I was looking to see if there were any because they are rare. I came across the grulla when I was looking at studs of all colors, and he works cows which is what I am looking to do, and he happened to have beautiful coloring, too.

There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers
AnnaLover is online now  
post #24 of 85 Old 12-18-2009, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,082
• Horses: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by smrobs View Post
Another thing that bugs me about Pocos Blue Eyed King is; if he has such perfect conformation, why don't they have any full body pix of him??
I agree. He does seem very iffy.

There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers
AnnaLover is online now  
post #25 of 85 Old 12-18-2009, 09:52 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 43
• Horses: 6
I would try a palimino stallion with a buckskin mare.I have a friend (aunt) that is a judge in full size and miniature horses and i'll try to get a hold of her and see what she thinks. But I think your better off just buying one.


Thanks!

Taylor
taylor12 is offline  
post #26 of 85 Old 12-18-2009, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,082
• Horses: 11
I also agree that buying a buckskin would be a heck of a lot easier but again, I am not breeding for a buckskin, I was only curious to see if there was any good studs that would make a buckskin foal, which there isn't, because I do love the color. I am looking for the foal to be a good cow horse and possibly a new color to ad to the herd. My mare that I mentioned is just a light riding horse and doesn't do much and has produced gorgeous foals before so I thought it would be an extremely fun and educational experience. Please no more comments about just breeding for color, because I'm not. What do you guys think of the grulla stud?

There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers
AnnaLover is online now  
post #27 of 85 Old 12-18-2009, 10:37 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N.W. Ohio
Posts: 5,344
• Horses: 0
FIRST on the Grullo. HERDA. There is no mention of it and his dams sire is a known carrier if memory serves correctly.

Also I have looked at him before when someone posted him. Although he dose have some accomplishments it is only in foundation QH. To me that is like playing in a limited sandbox where only certain kids can play and he is not even the best there. I comend then for training and getting him out and doing something but come one lets play with the big boys if you are going to ask that type of stud fee. There are quite a few well proven stallions standing for that or less.

Over all if you are breeding for color you can do worse but to me I would look for a better stallion and do not let color factor in. Also if you want a good and I mean really good nice stallion who will give you a very good chance of color I would sugest Hollywood White. If you are looking for a performance stallion you will not find much better.

-I'm so busy... I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse.
-An Armed Man is a Citizen an unarmed man is a subject.
-Where ever free speech is stifled Tyranny will reign.
nrhareiner is offline  
post #28 of 85 Old 12-18-2009, 10:49 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 340
• Horses: 2
I suspect Hollywood White is Ee Aa CRCR as he has thrown all single dilute creams and were he homozygous for black or agouti he would have done that.

So with the OP's mare being ee for sure but we have no idea on the agouti all we can guess right now is that with that breeding she could have Palomino, Buckskin, or Smokey Black.
upsidedown is offline  
post #29 of 85 Old 12-18-2009, 11:11 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N.W. Ohio
Posts: 5,344
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
I suspect Hollywood White is Ee Aa CRCR as he has thrown all single dilute creams and were he homozygous for black or agouti he would have done that.

So with the OP's mare being ee for sure but we have no idea on the agouti all we can guess right now is that with that breeding she could have Palomino, Buckskin, or Smokey Black.

Correct however she would be using a stallion who has A LOT more going for him but color. Hollywood White has an out standing pedigree. His is put together very well and has an out standing performance and sire record. This breeding to get a certain color just dose not sit well with me. If you want a buckskin go buy one. If you want a quality foal then start with a quality mare and pick a quality stallion and get this crap about color out of your head.

-I'm so busy... I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse.
-An Armed Man is a Citizen an unarmed man is a subject.
-Where ever free speech is stifled Tyranny will reign.
nrhareiner is offline  
post #30 of 85 Old 12-18-2009, 07:34 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 340
• Horses: 2
Oh no I complete agree with you, he is the nicest stallion she'd be able to breed to have the possibility of a buckskin bred for what she wants. I'm just saying genetically him being a perlino doesn't guarantee a buckskin, and that was her initial question so I was just answering that. I don't she could go better than Hollywood White.
upsidedown is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to Get a Buckskin hackin'around Horse Breeding 16 12-21-2012 11:50 PM
name for buckskin arastangrider Horse Breeds 16 10-03-2009 12:03 PM
Buckskin Overo colt, and bay medicine hat gelding FS- make offers fivecardstudpts Horses for Sale 0 08-17-2009 05:15 AM
Buckskin QH rckstr Horses for Sale 18 02-26-2009 02:50 PM
Critique Buckskin! Rye Horse Riding Critique 8 09-20-2007 12:54 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome