I'm pretty sure half QH foals can be registered out of a registered horse, I know a breeder I talked to is saying that any foal out of one of her studs can be registered with APHA. Though maybe I need to look into that, though for the second some breederes guarantee a colored foal, not so sure if this one does.
^^Exactly. If the mare is not registered, then the whole point is moot because the only registry that would take the foal would be a color registry (if it is, in fact, born colored). With APHA, AQHA, ApHC, etc, both parents have to be registered. With the APHA, QH and TB are the only recognized outcrops, and only then if they are registered with their own breed registry.
I couldn't have my horse registered as a paint. Her sire was A good QH named bossy do it but the scum bag breader never had the paint mare (mom) papers transfered and when I talked to her about trying to get it all worked out at my exspence she refused to give me the mares registered name or the name of the owner she had got her from.
If you look at my picture of her you can see she is paint inside and out. Now I had to do the pinto thing.
If the mare isn't registered, and if the stallion doesn't have a lot of credentials behind him, excellent breeding, excellent all around - I would not consider it. I get the feeling you're going to opt to breed regardless, but this is just my take.
The potential costs involved in raising a foal to 4 years old, training, etc. . .are far beyond the value this foal will hold if she/he were ever sold even if the stallion is a high quality sire and the mare is registered in most cases.
Don't know what breeder told you that APHA registers half foals, but it is not the truth. Maybe she is trying to get you to breed to her stud with the anticipation of a registered foal. APHA requires both sire and dam to be registered . If the sire is a registered APHA, then your dam HAS to be fully registered with either the Jockey Club, APHA or AQHA. No other registries or half registries are accepted.
I have researched for years for this year and am excited I will finally be able to do it though there are a few costs I have not been able to come by while searching. I have no intentions of selling this foal whatsoever. My intentions are to eventually do some Eventing on him or her. I want to get a foal or two before she gets to an age that I won't feel safe about breeding her and I don't want to do it back to back either.
My questions are about the costs of the check up that happens the day after foaling and to see if there are any other costs that I need to look into other than the the ones I already know about.
Costs I know about:
-Coggins, Pre-breeding Shots/Dewormer/Hoof Trimming
-Gestation Supplements/Shots(Months 3, 5, 7, 9, and 10)/Dewormer/Hoof Trimming
-Foal shots(Months 6, 7, and 12)/ Dewormer/Hoof Trimming
Is there anything else I'll need to pay for if it is a normal Gestation/Foaling? I will be setting money aside for if other problems occur.
My mare is a beautiful half- Quarter Horse lady with loads of Stamina, speed, strength, sense, and will that is truly the type of horse I would like to continue experiencing, even partially, long after she is gone. I have my reasons to breed her, and I do know that breeding any horse for Sentimental reasons isn't right. This is not what I am doing though it is part of what pushes me forward. Attached is a picture of my lovely girl in a confirmation pose. Stallion I'll be breeding her to is a Registered APHA Overo Stallion.
Comments on her Conformation are Welcome. :) Thank you!
WARNING: Please keep to answering the question. I'd prefer any overly negative opinions to be witheld as it can get me worked up and things can get pretty nasty pretty quickly. Thank you.
The one thing I see missing from your list is an emergency slush fund. I would recommend you have at least a couple of thousand dollars tucked away just in case something goes wrong.
Whoops just saw you would put money aside for "other problems" guess that classifies as an emergency fund.....but better to have too much then not enough....I ended up spend $3000.00 in that department.
When it comes to Training. I'll be training all basics for the foal (I've done it before quite a few times) before going on to training under an instructor.
As I said, not only will I register to the PtHA, I'll be registering it under a show registry.
Also, I'll be setting enough away each month to add up to at least $2000 before the foal arrives and my dad is willing to pay for any costs I cannot as long as I pay it back in time..
Even if I were to sell the foal, and I don't anticipate on doing so, I don't expect a profit.
I also won't try to sell the foal to anyone who views horses even a little bit as a way to make a profit. If I were to sell the foal, I would hope for it to be to someone whom intends to use it for a child/teen for showing and lessons. No child cares to have a specific breed of horse, just one that will do what they want it to do. There are plenty of children looking to have horses so I don't anticipate a problem IF I sell the foal. Which I won't.
And yes, you are right, I will be still breeding despite what any of ya'll say. It is my decision. This thread was to get an answer on what else I need to expect, not to get told I shouldn't breed so I won't be responding to any other responses that say anything along those lines so I can keep to the topic.
Thank you everyone who has given me more ideas on what I need to prepare for. :)