What should i do ?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeding

What should i do ?

This is a discussion on What should i do ? within the Horse Breeding forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        06-08-2009, 09:26 PM
      #1
    Weanling
    What should i do ?

    So my parents and I were disgussing about breeding my mare. Right now I am fourteen years old and in grade nine. If I bred her, that means the foal would be born next year and I would be in grade ten. By the time I would be able to even think about breaking her in, id be in grade twelve and graduating. I plan to go to university, so if I do go, would it be worth it to have her bred b/c im not going to be able to break the horse in or anything, id just end up selling it. What do you guys think I should do?
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        06-08-2009, 09:54 PM
      #2
    Green Broke
    Are you or your parents knowledgeable enough to be breeding? Breeding is a serious business and I for one would be very concerned not knowing enough about it.

    I personally think that if you know you are not going to have the time to care for the foal, break it, or sell it then don't breed her. Are you willing to give up riding your mare for the last part of her pregnancy?

    Just some things to think about.

    I'm interested to see what others say. I'm in no way a breeding expert and have never had a pregnant mare before.
         
        06-08-2009, 10:30 PM
      #3
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by racer179    
    So my parents and I were disgussing about breeding my mare. Right now I am fourteen years old and in grade nine. If I bred her, that means the foal would be born next year and I would be in grade ten. By the time I would be able to even think about breaking her in, id be in grade twelve and graduating. I plan to go to university, so if I do go, would it be worth it to have her bred b/c im not going to be able to break the horse in or anything, id just end up selling it. What do you guys think I should do?
    If your horse had a foal next year then you would be in college by the time the baby is ready to ride. You shouldn't ride a horse until it is at least three years old. Untrained horses are not easy to sell right now and it'd likely cost you much more to breed than you'd receive when you sell the foal.
         
        06-08-2009, 10:51 PM
      #4
    Weanling
    Thats what I thought. I would have the time for caring and everything, but its the breaking in and stuff like that that I wont be able to do. And your probably right, for the amount im going to pay for breeding, I probably wont get as much back for an untrained horse. Thanks for the input and thoughts guys ! :)
         
        06-08-2009, 10:57 PM
      #5
    Showing
    I see you're in Saskatchewan - if you go to your local lower-end auction you can pick up a really nice horse ready to break or with some miles on it for a fraction of the cost of breeding your mare.
    My friend went to the Innisfail (Alberta) auction a few weeks ago and picked herself up an amazing reg'd QH gelding that has a good start on him and is quite the looker for under $1000. Sadly, you can pick up a foal for $100 or less as well.
    It sounds like you are very mature for your age, thinking things through rather than jumping in it because it's a baby - give yourself a pat on the back! I'm impressed!
         
        06-09-2009, 01:17 AM
      #6
    Yearling
    Breeding is really for experianced people - If things go well then there are all the joys and little of the downside. If things go wrong then they can really go wrong.

    The first question to ask is - am I really prepared for the possibility that I may not only loose any foal, but the mare as well .
         
        06-10-2009, 09:41 AM
      #7
    Yearling
    I would read lots of posts on this section about what can grow wrong, how expensive it is and how many young horses need homes and then talk to your parents about all of that. I appreciate you are asking for advice, and there is a ton of good information on here, check out breeding gone wrong as well ... good luck
         
        06-10-2009, 10:22 AM
      #8
    Weanling
    I think its beat to wait until your out of collage so you can give your mare and the foal the time and care they deserve.
         
        06-10-2009, 11:13 AM
      #9
    Started
    Like you stated you are probably going to wait to breed- great choice. If you want a project though babies are sadly going really cheap. My mom and I were at an auction a few weeks back and two grade paint weanlings came through the ring (I would bet born dec-jan... really small) and the sold for 5 bucks....5 buck!!!! I don't have the space or money for them but they were cute little buggers.
         
        06-10-2009, 08:27 PM
      #10
    Green Broke
    *nods* Although the economy in Canada isn't quite as bad as the US yet, untrained horses are still going for peanuts. You can pick up a decently bred registered QH/Paint in Manitoba for under $400. You're guaranteed to spend more then that just for the breeding costs.

    Good for you for thinking it out. I briefly considered breeding my mare due to a low population of Arabs for sale around here, but the cost combined with not knowing where I'll be and how financially stable I'll be in the next five years made me change my mind and pick up a youngster to work with. If you're looking to make money, I highly recommend picking up a cheap 1 or 2 year old and working with it. Canada, especially places like Manitoba and Saskatchewan, have a pretty low horse population, so we're still selling well trained horses for several thousand a pop. There is an enormous market for somewhat novice/intermediate riders and families looking for a good quiet trail mount, and an equal shortage in them it seems.

    We sold an unregistered Arab mare last year that we were brutally honest about - she was pretty much bombproof and kid-safe in an arena, but if you took her out on a trail, you were risking your life. We explained that in detail right in the ad and STILL got absolutely dozens of e-mails from people looking for a quiet trail mount (they basically just ignored the trail part and focused on the "ring safe" part). And she was priced at $2000. My best friend sold her completely grade mutt ponies as 3 year olds, one was trail and kid safe for $2500, and the other was quite a bit less trained for $1500. People are REALLY interested in decently trained family horses.

    Hahaha, anyway, some food for thought!
         

    Thread Tools



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:39 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0