what would the best combo be? - The Horse Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 04-12-2010, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Far From Sanity
Posts: 2,284
• Horses: 0
what would the best combo be?

for hypothetical purposes.

If a a buckskin stud was bred to a mare in hopes of getting a buckskin foal would the best color to increase the chances of a buckskin foal be a buckskin mare? Or would the chances of being bred to another color increase the chances of a buckskin foal and if so what color would that be?

Just musing....

Thanks!

Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?-Edgar Allen Poe
Piaffe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 04-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 436
• Horses: 2
Buckskin on buckskin or bay. Like a 43% chance of buckskin from either of these. Use this calculator: Color Calculator
westonsma is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 04-12-2010, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Far From Sanity
Posts: 2,284
• Horses: 0
thanks!

Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?-Edgar Allen Poe
Piaffe is offline  
post #4 of 14 Old 04-12-2010, 10:26 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: alberta
Posts: 2,747
• Horses: 1
phew! That post was confusing!!!! Haha but I know nothing about breeding, so im not going to mess you up with a comment when I don't know what im talking about ;) that color calculater thingy is cool!

If there are no horses in heaven... im not going.
ridergirl23 is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 04-12-2010, 10:27 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,378
• Horses: 2
If you really want to get into it, check out Triple K Miniature Horses -- they have an entire program/herd built around buckskin and could probably share a thing or two (or three, lol) about the whole color issue.
themacpack is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 04-13-2010, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Far From Sanity
Posts: 2,284
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridergirl23 View Post
phew! That post was confusing!!!! Haha but I know nothing about breeding, so im not going to mess you up with a comment when I don't know what im talking about ;) that color calculater thingy is cool!
lol...sorry...i was kinda rambling and didn't it re-read before posting sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by themacpack View Post
If you really want to get into it, check out Triple K Miniature Horses -- they have an entire program/herd built around buckskin and could probably share a thing or two (or three, lol) about the whole color issue.
thank-you!

Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?-Edgar Allen Poe
Piaffe is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 04-13-2010, 03:54 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New River, Az
Posts: 2,472
• Horses: 0
You have the best chances if you breed to a horse who is H/Z extension and agouti: EE AA.

Could be bay (which would give you buckskin or bay 50/50).
Could be buckskin (which would give you buckskin 50%, bay 25% and perlino 25%).
Or perlino (which would give buckskin 50% and perlino 50%).

If the horse isn't H/Z Extension and Agouti, then you decrease the buckskin odds because you start adding in black, smokey black, smokey cream, chestnut, palomino and cremello possibilities, depending on what the mare is (EeAA, EeAa, EEAa, EEAA all play into the percentages)
CheyAut is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 04-13-2010, 05:41 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 735
• Horses: 1
The very best combinations to guarantee a buckskin foal would be...

Bay to perlino if either parent were homozygous for E and either parent were homozygous A-- that would get you 100% bucksin.

An EE bay to cremello would also guarantee buckskin if either parent was homozygous for A.

An AA perlino bred to an EE black would also yield 100% buckskin.

AND, if you could find an AAEE perlino, you could breed it to a chestnut and get 100% buckskin as well.

But if one parent has to be buckskin-- what the previous post-ers already said.

Laura Lyon
Eastowest
http://www.eastowest.com
Eastowest is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 04-13-2010, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Far From Sanity
Posts: 2,284
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyAut View Post
You have the best chances if you breed to a horse who is H/Z extension and agouti: EE AA.

Could be bay (which would give you buckskin or bay 50/50).
Could be buckskin (which would give you buckskin 50%, bay 25% and perlino 25%).
Or perlino (which would give buckskin 50% and perlino 50%).

If the horse isn't H/Z Extension and Agouti, then you decrease the buckskin odds because you start adding in black, smokey black, smokey cream, chestnut, palomino and cremello possibilities, depending on what the mare is (EeAA, EeAa, EEAa, EEAA all play into the percentages)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastowest View Post
The very best combinations to guarantee a buckskin foal would be...

Bay to perlino if either parent were homozygous for E and either parent were homozygous A-- that would get you 100% bucksin.

An EE bay to cremello would also guarantee buckskin if either parent was homozygous for A.

An AA perlino bred to an EE black would also yield 100% buckskin.

AND, if you could find an AAEE perlino, you could breed it to a chestnut and get 100% buckskin as well.

But if one parent has to be buckskin-- what the previous post-ers already said.

Wonderful information! Thank-you both very much

Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?-Edgar Allen Poe
Piaffe is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 04-13-2010, 05:17 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N.W. Ohio
Posts: 5,344
• Horses: 0
Best bet to get a buckskin would be to breed this mare.



To this stallion.


Or at least the same color genetics.

-I'm so busy... I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse.
-An Armed Man is a Citizen an unarmed man is a subject.
-Where ever free speech is stifled Tyranny will reign.
nrhareiner is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bitless / bit combo Nutty Saddler Horse Tack and Equipment 3 01-15-2010 10:51 AM
First combo!! Hoofprints in the Sand Jumping 0 04-24-2009 10:41 PM
halter bridle combo Vidaloco Horse Tack and Equipment 12 01-23-2009 12:57 PM
*GASP* My new fav crossbreed combo Kiki Horse Pictures 16 06-12-2008 10:33 PM
Need help with supplements - getting the right combo Gizimomo86 Horse Health 2 08-03-2007 12:36 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome