Wow, the sire is flashy! Just looking at the pics....mind you I have no experience with western pleasure....
They both look like hold their heads naturally level or close to the withers..
The only thing about the dam I would say is that she looks a little downhill and tad bit straight in the back legs. But that could just be the shadow and my crappy computer.
I like her shoulder and the depth in her flank. But like I said I know nothing about WP and what you guys prefer. Can't wait to see a picture of the yearling!
Well her owner lost her job. Just looking at other horses she sold last year it said thry had hay shortage problems last year just imagine no job on top! Mom won't touch her unless she has her qh papers. That's horrible since she's already near drop bottom price! I don't know what to do. I'm going to work on mom tomorrow. I'm going to do my research and stuff. Has anyone traveled near texas from a state near indiana. What would you do in this situation?
I am living in Texas right now...and yes the hay situation is/was horrible. I hope the weather today isn't an indication for the summer.(82F) It made horses and cattle pretty dang cheap last summer.
I think the cost of shipping would be a definite factor in buying the yearling. Last year I had a horse shipped from Utah to here and it cost me $700 and that was after shopping around. For me personally, I would consider the total cost(shipping+price of yearling) if the horse wasn't up to par that I wouldn't take a huge loss. The price should be fair enough that the shipping cost won't be detrimental to the overall expense. If it is, then I would consider a colt closer to home. That is just my opinion...
If that's her sire, I'm not sure she's even eligible for papers through the AQHA. She's probably APHA eligible, and if she has spots definitely PtHA eligible, but I doubt that you could have her registered as a QH.
ETA: I'd definitely ask what (if any) registries she'd be eligible for if she's not already registered.
She's already registered breeding stock. She doesn't have any other white except two bac pasturns, and some white on her face. He was suppost to be eligable for his qh papers but was turned down for I don't know. I did ask yet. Posted via Mobile Device
Well, I just know yet. It cost me like I don't remember like $600 to got to pennsylvania and back total which includes one night in the hotel, gas, and food. Then the price of the horse of course. And that was 14hrs one way, but it managed to be 12hrs coming back since we took another route and we actually drove. Posted via Mobile Device
I would guess shipping is going to cost you around $500-600 if you can find a hauler who will give you a fill rate because they're already going up that way with most of a load. With diesel at about $4/gallon shipping is going to start being really expensive, soon. If she's breed stock reg'd with APHA, what's the big deal with the AQHA papers? And what do you consider 'near rock bottom' for her price? I know what i'd give for a breed stock yearling, just curious about other folks ideas.
Yardstick for what I think a yearling should know:
Lead with no issues
Load with no fuss
Trailer " " "
Bathe " " "
Clip " " "
Farrier " " "
Vet " " "
Be started on a lunge line with surcingle & halter (and/or bridle with bit)
Walks quietly on a walker (if one is available)
Easy to catch
Pleasure to groom
Clear status on all genetics, HYPP, HERDA, etc etc
Rock bottom to me is $800 or best offer. See her sire is half qh and half paint, he was suppost to be eligable for his qh papers. I'm going to see what's going on because something seems wrong here. Posted via Mobile Device