Working on a new breed... - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeding

Working on a new breed...

This is a discussion on Working on a new breed... within the Horse Breeding forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category

    Like Tree286Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        10-23-2012, 12:21 PM
      #11
    Foal
    Ever hear of a little thing called 'Hybrid Vigor'? You take two breeds and breed them, the resulting offspring may look different or the same as the parents, HOWEVER, the hybrid vigor would minimize the negative traits and boost the positive. Eliminating (almost) diseases from both parents, and causing the offspring to have an enormous amount of potential. (Taken from a dog designer breeder site)
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        10-23-2012, 12:24 PM
      #12
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlazingFameStables    
    Ever hear of a little thing called 'Hybrid Vigor'? You take two breeds and breed them, the resulting offspring may look different or the same as the parents, HOWEVER, the hybrid vigor would minimize the negative traits and boost the positive. Eliminating (almost) diseases from both parents, and causing the offspring to have an enormous amount of potential. (Taken from a dog designer breeder site)
    You and that 'designer dog breeder' know absolutely NOTHING about genetics, either.

    What are they breeding? Puggles? Labradoodles? Shizpoos? Yeah, those dogs hardly have what I'd call 'hybrid vigor'. Most of them just have double their parents' genetic issues.
         
        10-23-2012, 12:28 PM
      #13
    Trained
    Well actually I need to be fair, I have nothing against mutts as such, looks out of window, counts up, yup currently 5 nags outside, 1 pure bred, 4 mutts.

    Mutts can be champions, but when it comes to champions, if I wanted to become world champ at barrels I'd buy a QH, Endurance an Arab, racing a TB, dressage, Warmblood, for most disciplines that you may want to be champ at, there is a breed designed for that end.

    BUT

    There are some where you can take a pinch of this, and a touch of that, and produce something good, but it's a gamble, and you have to have an amount of knowledge to do that, a big amount of knowledge, and a lot of luck.
         
        10-23-2012, 12:30 PM
      #14
    Foal
    Actually, she breeds Border Shepherds. German Shepherd border collie mixes. She uses these dogs to create a great herder, and a good livestock guard dog. Both these qualities combined make an excellent farm dog.
         
        10-23-2012, 12:33 PM
      #15
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlazingFameStables    
    Actually, she breeds Border Shepherds. German Shepherd border collie mixes. She uses these dogs to create a great herder, and a good livestock guard dog. Both these qualities combined make an excellent farm dog.
    Really? Friend of yours, is she?

    Each of those breeds themselves can do both, so I don't see why creating a designer mutt was necessary.

    You're so woefully ignorant of breeding and the pitfalls, it would be laughable if it weren't so sad for the animals you might wind up creating.

    GH, I have nothing against mutts either, but I say if you want a mutt go the animal shelter; don't breed your own. So many of these 'designer' animals wind up there anyway, so if you're determined to get a Sheltipoo or some other mish-mash you can find one without having to pay some exorbitant price. Same goes for horses. Plenty of 'hybrid vigor' grades in rescues and at auction. No reason at all to breed any more of them.
         
        10-23-2012, 12:35 PM
      #16
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Speed Racer    
    Really? Friend of yours, is she?

    Each of those breeds themselves can do both, so I don't see why creating a designer mutt was necessary.

    You're so woefully ignorant of breeding and the pitfalls, it would be laughable if it weren't so sad for the animals you might wind up creating.

    GH, I have nothing against mutts either, but I say if you want a mutt go the animal shelter; don't breed your own.
    The bolded deserved repeating.........
    Britt, Strange, NdAppy and 5 others like this.
         
        10-23-2012, 12:37 PM
      #17
    Foal
    Y.Y you'll see one day... everybody laughed and criticized the Wright brothers too... and look who came up with the first flying machine. Now, I think I've said my piece and defended it well. If anyone else wants to say something to bring me down, forget it, you're not changing this stubborn mule's mind.
    texasgal likes this.
         
        10-23-2012, 12:39 PM
      #18
    Trained
    Head stuck in the sand much?
    themacpack likes this.
         
        10-23-2012, 12:40 PM
      #19
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlazingFameStables    
    Y.Y you'll see one day... everybody laughed and criticized the Wright brothers too... and look who came up with the first flying machine. Now, I think I've said my piece and defended it well. If anyone else wants to say something to bring me down, forget it, you're not changing this stubborn mule's mind.
    COMPLETELY different situation.. They were looking at worst killing themselves.. Breeding animals creates a LIFE, not an object to be cast aside if it goes wrong.. Perfect word for this: Irresponsible.

    This also came from a "Designer Dog" website.


    Breeding hybrids "Another defining characteristic of designer dogs is that they are usually bred as companions and pets." ....Not champions.

    " But crossbreeding for a particular style of designer dog may not work out as intended; instead of the desirable traits, the resulting litter may have a combination of the undesirable traits of the two purebred breeds"

    "In addition, the goals of dog crossbreeding may be harder to define than the goals of livestock crossbreeding; good temperament may be harder to define"
         
        10-23-2012, 12:41 PM
      #20
    Trained
    Also, that is a completely juvenile way of behaving. Even my young kids have a more open mind than to stick their fingers in their and go "Nener, nener, nener! I can't hear you!"
    themacpack and Legend like this.
         

    Tags
    awesome, breed, horse, sport

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Trakhaner breed, would love to learn more about this breed! Klassic Superstar Horse Breeds 20 01-03-2012 10:56 AM
    Dam breed A, sire breed B doesn't equal dam breed B, sire breed A? manca Horse Breeding 4 10-09-2011 05:26 PM
    Working with a Half Breed. Jstrain1283 Gaited Horses 2 09-03-2011 06:59 PM
    To Breed or Not To Breed? That is the Question! lilruffian Horse Breeding 17 09-06-2010 03:06 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:59 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0