Appaloosa Horses: Breed standards gone too far? - Page 6
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeds

Appaloosa Horses: Breed standards gone too far?

This is a discussion on Appaloosa Horses: Breed standards gone too far? within the Horse Breeds forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category
  • The Appaloosa Horse breed
  • Windsor bloodline

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    02-20-2011, 07:22 AM
  #51
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo    
Yes The ApHC standards have Gone to far. They are now allowing Paint bloodlines into the registry in direct violation of the "No Paint or Pinto Rule"
Paint bloodlines have existed in the ApHC since its inception, long before APHA was formed. Bright Eyes Brother (F-3096) is a good example of that. He was foaled in 1950. There weren't any Paint organizations until the early 1960s.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    02-20-2011, 07:51 AM
  #52
Weanling
I thought Appaloosa was a colour not a breed? =/
     
    02-20-2011, 12:38 PM
  #53
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahandlola    
I thought Appaloosa was a colour not a breed? =/
It is indeed a breed, with its own "closed" stud book: Welcome to the Official Web site of the Appaloosa Horse Club

The only crosses allowed are to TB or QH.

Anyway, I like the more modern Appy better, more functional for modern sport and uses. They are certainly much easier on the eyes!
     
    02-20-2011, 05:12 PM
  #54
Foal
Registering a horse with a "pinto" parent before much of anything was known about genetics is certainly 100% DIFFERENT THAN intentionally telling the owners of a 'mistake" colt to ignore the fact that the stallion was born a Paint from a mare who was born a paint and both were ineligible to produce ApHC registerable foals before the AQHA changed their excessive white rule.

The colt in question should never have been registered, should never have been eligible to show and poorly represents the ApHC. The Registrar is responsible for a portion of the seriously falling standards of the ApHC and she refuses to accept responsibility for her actions.


Quote:
Originally Posted by FTFOTB    
Paint bloodlines have existed in the ApHC since its inception, long before APHA was formed. Bright Eyes Brother (F-3096) is a good example of that. He was foaled in 1950. There weren't any Paint organizations until the early 1960s.
     
    02-20-2011, 05:14 PM
  #55
Foal
That is incorrect. Arabians are also allowed as an acceptable cross breed and any grade parentage unknown horse can be accepted for registry based on color only if the horse is spayed or gelded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QHDragon    
It is indeed a breed, with its own "closed" stud book: Welcome to the Official Web site of the Appaloosa Horse Club

The only crosses allowed are to TB or QH.
     
    02-20-2011, 05:37 PM
  #56
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo    
registering a horse with a "pinto" parent before much of anything was known about genetics is certainly 100% DIFFERENT THAN intentionally telling the owners of a 'mistake" colt to ignore the fact that the stallion was born a Paint from a mare who was born a paint and both were ineligible to produce ApHC registerable foals before the AQHA changed their excessive white rule.

The colt in question should never have been registered, should never have been eligible to show and poorly represents the ApHC. The Registrar is responsible for a portion of the seriously falling standards of the ApHC and she refuses to accept responsibility for her actions.
So it is perfectly okay for some Appaloosas (with known Paint genetics) to be registered, but it's not okay for others? Somehow, that doesn't seem right to me. How would you eliminate the Paint blood from the breed?

This is no different than the foundation QH registries disallowing TB blood, yet the foundation horses they base their registry on were of mostly TB blood! How would you eliminate the TB blood from the breed? You can't.

The breeders who don't want Paint genetics can simply breed away from the bloodlines known to produce Paint type markings, much like the breeders of the foundation QHs who breed away from TB blood. They don't want the type they perceive the TB to be, and it's simple enough to stay away from it. It is costing them dearly, though.

There is a parallel here - IMO, it's a big mistake to base registration eligibility on blood percentages, which tends to place more importance on bloodline percentages (or genetics) than on individual quality. These "color" breeds don't have enough going for them (aside from color) to eliminate outcross blood. They aren't competitive until outcross blood is brought in and utilized for breed improvement. The QH has been proven to add positive qualities to the Appaloosa (and the Paint), and along with that QH blood you get some Paint genetics. Be glad that ApHC doesn't have to deal with Tobiano genetics, which comes with its own set of "qualities" that are difficult to breed away from, even with outcross blood.
     
    02-20-2011, 08:18 PM
  #57
Banned
I hate it , too ! It is so horrible! Why are QH bred with every breed ? I love QH in there own way ! My two fav horses are at least half QH ......... So of course I love them but appies are special in their own way they are not ugly ......... some of the horses are half QH and half Appy except one ........... of the appies ..... but that's not our fault ..... but they still have all the charistecs you could never tell .... I still think it should not be allowed
     
    02-21-2011, 01:32 PM
  #58
Weanling
Ok appy not my fav breed, except the leopard ones look awesome lol, I did some "googling" and came up with this guy, Crystal DayDream:

"Crystal Day Dream is foundation breeding at it's best. With bloodlines like
5x Red Eagle, 3x Patchy Jr., XR's War Bonnet, Freel's Chico, Rodeo Day, and Duke Of Windsor. "

Here's his pedigree:


Now is he considered a TRUE foundation appy?
     
    02-21-2011, 05:34 PM
  #59
Weanling
He goes back to Arab, Morgan, Saddlebred, QH, unknowns, and TBs, it depends on your definition of foundation:

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/crystal+day+dream
     
    05-31-2011, 03:53 PM
  #60
KDW
Foal
I have a (Used to be) friend who has a reg. QH mare and she bred it with a leopard 3/4 app 1/4 QH and that little filly is the most ****** up looking horse I have ever laid my eyes on. Little head and feet like her dad, long legs, and a huge body, just completely disproportional. She is so proud of her though, thinks she is the best thing since slice bread, and even reg. Her in the ApHC, she doesn't have any spots at all, I think she might have some mottling around her mouth and that's it. I totally agree that a true app was intended to have a sparse tail and be large and in charge. What they are doing is making QH's with App spots and full tails and they just are not what they should be.
     

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0