Originally Posted by SEAmom
High-spirited, yes. Spooky, not usually. Intuitive, smart, curious, and observant, yes. My green horse will startle, but he almost immediately gets over it and then wants to investigate. The first horse I leased was an arabian who would "spook" at random and take off across the arena. Ha! He was smart enough to figure out how to unnerve/prematurely dismount his rider so he could be done with the lesson and go back in his stall. They always figure out a way to get into mischief on their own if their minds aren't being stimulated to their satisfaction. Ime, they are only genuinely "spooky" less than 5% of the time - maybe even less than that. The other 95% of the "spooky" horses are having fun and their rider is not necessarily at a point in their riding where they can deter the behavior and deal with the situation appropriately.
Posted via Mobile Device
Completely agreed! I found that they see a lot more and faster than any other horse, but once they figure out what it is, they're just fine. I had a huge combine passing my paddock the warmblood, TB and the Hafi went to the opposite end, all(9) Arabs went straight towards it to check it out. My current Arab is nicknamed "cop". He notices everything, strange cars coming up the driveway, escaped cows, a dog who doesn't belong here. I learned yo look where he's looking to stay informed