She was wormed at the beginning of spring. I had the vet come see her and my older mare when it warmed and dried up. The vet told me what to feed her and that it would take a while for her to build herself up to full health. Several months he said. I can't even put into words the horrible condition she was in. These recent pictures don't look good compared to a lot of horses, but if I'd taken pictures of her when I first got her, you'd wonder how she wasn't dead.
I feed her about 2 quarts of horseman's choice feed every day, with another quart of rabbit pellets. That's what the vet told me to put her on. Rabbit pellets. I never would've thought of it, but he said a rabbit's stomach is very similar to a horse's. And rabbits pellets, I guess, are mostly protein. I'm no rabbit expert this is just what he told me. I had her on another supplement called Weight Builder but when I put it in her feed she'd refuse to eat. She loves these rabbit pellets though.
When she was wormed she had a stool sample taken and yes she did have one kind of worm. She also got put on penicillin for a few days because she had started losing her baby teeth. Last time I checked she had lost 4. She has a salt block available at all times, and so does my other horse. She's a very lovable and good natured horse. Not afraid of anything and willing to do anything once she understands what I'm asking.
Every day I brush her more and more hair comes off. The hair down the middle of her face is already half off, it's just the lower half of her muzzle now. It's just slow going. I hope that helped, and thanks for everyone's input. I'm not a pro at breeds, I usually just go along with whatever my friend says seeing as how she's in her 60's, my mentor, and has had horses forever. I've only had horses for a little over a year. I'll ask her if she sees quarter horse in Lily when I see her.