Which breed for my next horse??? - Page 3 - The Horse Forum
 20Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 57 Old 07-28-2012, 04:08 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,264
• Horses: 3
Almost, lol- Five points!
soenjer55 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 57 Old 07-28-2012, 04:22 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 286
• Horses: 0
*Didnt read everything =) Heck didnt even get past the 1st page

If your budget is tight and you have time you should look into PMU foal/yearlings- They have color like a paint and are built like a German tank. Con- Its a baby and the training process is long and hard

Out of your 3 I would honestly choose the QH-which is rare for me lol- They are really versitial But choose one that is large and well built- You will get bigger nicer rolling gaits- Not tiny choppy gaits.

Last I would recomend is the great American Saddlebred- very much like a QH in versitlity- Choose one with the older body style of being a bit stockier- They will have less joint problems.

The Truth Harsher Than One Would Think
KissTheRing is offline  
post #23 of 57 Old 07-28-2012, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,365
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by soenjer55 View Post
I wrote that all out and when I hit 'comment', your answers appeared to the other comments, so sorry if I sounded like I didn't read what you said, it was just after, lol!

I think DancingArabian said it better than I could, though. Although quarter horses are very versatile, they tend to do much better with western sports, because that's what they're meant to do (this is a generalization). I would keep what DA said in mind when looking at horses- especially crosses, it's true that a lot of breeders take two horses and hope for the best. With crosses it's just double the genetics to randomly get, and with two different breeds with two different types and ideals, it can get messy... Lol.
But as long as you don't plan on getting competitive in a certain discipline it doesn't really matter what breed the horse is, as long as it fits you.
Also, why does the thoroughbred have to be off the track? I'm a little confused- usually people buy them fresh off the track for a cheap price and train them themselves, but you seem to be looking at already re-trained ones, so I'm a little confused...
lol The TB doesn't have to be an OTTB I just wanted to get an OTTB because most are young and deserve a second chance. I was looking at the retrained ones because I don't think I'm ready to take on a retraining a OTTB by myself yet. As from Crosses I know there breeding can get messy lol I just thought a Morab would be cool to own since I've ridden Arabs and own morgans and love both breeds. Lol
MelissaAnn likes this.

Talking to your horse is sometimes all the therapy you need.
Check out my new Blog
Sights from the Saddle
shaggy is offline  
post #24 of 57 Old 07-28-2012, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,365
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KissTheRing View Post
*Didnt read everything =) Heck didnt even get past the 1st page

If your budget is tight and you have time you should look into PMU foal/yearlings- They have color like a paint and are built like a German tank. Con- Its a baby and the training process is long and hard

Out of your 3 I would honestly choose the QH-which is rare for me lol- They are really versitial But choose one that is large and well built- You will get bigger nicer rolling gaits- Not tiny choppy gaits.

Last I would recomend is the great American Saddlebred- very much like a QH in versitlity- Choose one with the older body style of being a bit stockier- They will have less joint problems.
If I was more experienced I would love to take on a PMU foal or yearling. But at this point I really just want another horse I can ride and maybe show ya know?

Talking to your horse is sometimes all the therapy you need.
Check out my new Blog
Sights from the Saddle
shaggy is offline  
post #25 of 57 Old 07-28-2012, 05:28 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,264
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy View Post
lol The TB doesn't have to be an OTTB I just wanted to get an OTTB because most are young and deserve a second chance. I was looking at the retrained ones because I don't think I'm ready to take on a retraining a OTTB by myself yet. As from Crosses I know there breeding can get messy lol I just thought a Morab would be cool to own since I've ridden Arabs and own morgans and love both breeds. Lol
Makes sense!
Are there any horses you're interested in at the moment?
soenjer55 is offline  
post #26 of 57 Old 07-28-2012, 06:16 PM
Started
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mid Northern TN
Posts: 2,464
• Horses: 1
Perhaps I missed it. But what are you looking to do with the horse? That's more important when choosing a horse or a breed than anything else. As for HYPP and Herda in QH, that's fairly easy to test for and thus avoid even if you don't have the pedigree. It's well and good to have breeds you're keeping an eye out for, but remember- you'll be buying an individual horse, which may or may not match breed standard or stereotypes on any number of points!
Sharpie is offline  
post #27 of 57 Old 07-28-2012, 06:42 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,933
• Horses: 5
Sounds like you should be considering an Appendix AQHA {QHxTB} It would be fitting needs of much what you want.Before shopping ,you need to educate yourself with some of the different genetic diseases,HYPP is just ONE of several out there.Be armed with knowledge of any breeds you may have interest in.
As far as Your Impressive fear goes, AQHA horses{from Jan 98 on} with decendent to Impressive on will have HYPP status on papers.Just your Older horse may not have been tested/status recorded.Your APHA{paint} horses don't require mandatory testing so I would be watching more so that HYPP having been done.Same can be true for other "stock type" bred horses,Appy,Grade horses,so knowing their pedigree is important & in many cases these horse may not have had testing done.
paintedpastures is offline  
post #28 of 57 Old 07-29-2012, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,365
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by soenjer55 View Post
Makes sense!
Are there any horses you're interested in at the moment?
Not really I've mostly been just browsing the sites. I did find this pretty girl though. It doesn't say anything about her pedigree though.
Quarter Horse For Sale, Tennessee, Lancing

Talking to your horse is sometimes all the therapy you need.
Check out my new Blog
Sights from the Saddle
shaggy is offline  
post #29 of 57 Old 07-29-2012, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,365
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
Perhaps I missed it. But what are you looking to do with the horse? That's more important when choosing a horse or a breed than anything else. As for HYPP and Herda in QH, that's fairly easy to test for and thus avoid even if you don't have the pedigree. It's well and good to have breeds you're keeping an eye out for, but remember- you'll be buying an individual horse, which may or may not match breed standard or stereotypes on any number of points!
I'm hoping for an all rounder but mostly hoping for a jumper. And I'll remember that about buying individual horse.

Talking to your horse is sometimes all the therapy you need.
Check out my new Blog
Sights from the Saddle
shaggy is offline  
post #30 of 57 Old 07-29-2012, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,365
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintedpastures View Post
Sounds like you should be considering an Appendix AQHA {QHxTB} It would be fitting needs of much what you want.Before shopping ,you need to educate yourself with some of the different genetic diseases,HYPP is just ONE of several out there.Be armed with knowledge of any breeds you may have interest in.
As far as Your Impressive fear goes, AQHA horses{from Jan 98 on} with decendent to Impressive on will have HYPP status on papers.Just your Older horse may not have been tested/status recorded.Your APHA{paint} horses don't require mandatory testing so I would be watching more so that HYPP having been done.Same can be true for other "stock type" bred horses,Appy,Grade horses,so knowing their pedigree is important & in many cases these horse may not have had testing done.
I will definaly educate myself on the genetic diseases. This is my first time horse shopping on my own without someone who knows what there doing.

Talking to your horse is sometimes all the therapy you need.
Check out my new Blog
Sights from the Saddle
shaggy is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trakhaner breed, would love to learn more about this breed! Klassic Superstar Horse Breeds 20 01-03-2012 10:56 AM
Dam breed A, sire breed B doesn't equal dam breed B, sire breed A? manca Horse Breeding 4 10-09-2011 05:26 PM
new horse-what breed is she? mramsay Horse Breeds 11 05-21-2011 10:36 PM
Can someone tell me what breed my horse is. ScoutRacer Horse Breeding 2 08-11-2008 09:08 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome