Budget Friendly dressage horse breed ideas?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeds

Budget Friendly dressage horse breed ideas?

This is a discussion on Budget Friendly dressage horse breed ideas? within the Horse Breeds forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category

    Like Tree16Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        10-30-2013, 11:15 AM
      #1
    Started
    Question Budget Friendly dressage horse breed ideas?

    I cant afford a 70k FEI Master (Purebred Warmblood) so Im looking for more of a Toyota Corolla version dressage horse prospects. My max budget is $7500 but would prefer to spend in the $5000 range. I would like to show a training level and move my way up to 2nd level. Im also looking for a good disposition (close to bombproof). Any breed ideas or X breeds that would fit this criteria? Im not ready to pull the trigger on a purchase yet, just trying to get some ideas for what I should be aiming for.
    Maybe a Warmblood/Arab mix?
    OTTBs?
    Warmblood/Appaloosa Mix?
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        10-30-2013, 11:26 AM
      #2
    Trained
    I've never heard of a wb x appy, that does not sound like a good cross.

    There is a breeder in ND called prospect hill farm, they have lots of great hano x tbs. They are also in your price range, but mostly unbroke.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    NaeNae87 likes this.
         
        10-30-2013, 11:35 AM
      #3
    Started
    Thanks Gypsygirl, I'll check it out. I was hoping for a horse that's already broke to ride, but with little to no show experience.
         
        10-30-2013, 11:39 AM
      #4
    Trained
    Warmblood/Arab or any taller half Arabian might be a possibility. Google "arabian sport horse" to get an idea what you're dealing with.
    Appendix Quarter, leaning a bit more towards the TB side, is another. Or an OTTB, from one of yhe good rescue/rehab centers, you'd get quite a bit of horse for your budget there(New vocations is a good one). I've also found the TB's here are a lot calmer and less difficult in character than where we come from
         
        10-30-2013, 11:46 AM
      #5
    Green Broke
    What is your max age range?

    Sometimes a been there done that is a bit cheaper, but if you are looking to train your own (not from scratch)... perhaps look at a lease with potential to buy?

    I took a big risk and bought a green broke 3yo stallion. Gelded him, and he turned out to be a complete pleasure and dream. I paid €3700. All you need is a VERY good trainer, and the ability to be patient and learn yourself.
         
        10-30-2013, 11:54 AM
      #6
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deserthorsewoman    
    Warmblood/Arab or any taller half Arabian might be a possibility. Google "arabian sport horse" to get an idea what you're dealing with.
    Appendix Quarter, leaning a bit more towards the TB side, is another. Or an OTTB, from one of yhe good rescue/rehab centers, you'd get quite a bit of horse for your budget there(New vocations is a good one). I've also found the TB's here are a lot calmer and less difficult in character than where we come from
    I actually have some experience riding Arabs (Polish lines) and thought they were a good fit for me but figured I need an Arab/Warmblood X in order to move up the levels in Dressage. I'm only 5'4 and don't weigh very much so I figured I should aim for a horse between 15'2 and 17'0.

    In Germany, Arabs are for rich people, and Warmbloods are for working class, so imagine my surprise when I moved to the States and found out that the opposite is true here.
         
        10-30-2013, 11:57 AM
      #7
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DuffyDuck    
    What is your max age range?

    Sometimes a been there done that is a bit cheaper, but if you are looking to train your own (not from scratch)... perhaps look at a lease with potential to buy?

    I took a big risk and bought a green broke 3yo stallion. Gelded him, and he turned out to be a complete pleasure and dream. I paid 3700. All you need is a VERY good trainer, and the ability to be patient and learn yourself.
    Wow, that was risky move - glad it worked out for you. I have a great trainer (Bronze, Silver & Gold USDF medals) but don't know if I can afford to pay for a horse AND then add expensive training on top of that. I was hoping for a horse that's completely broke to ride but maybe doesn't know the high level dressage stuff yet.
         
        10-30-2013, 12:00 PM
      #8
    Green Broke
    I KNOW.

    Arabs out here.. 12,000 for E grade, not going any further, 18 yo gelding. I THINK NOT aha

    They are getting better though ;)

    Saying that, my new area is darn expensive.
         
        10-30-2013, 12:04 PM
      #9
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frlsgirl    
    I actually have some experience riding Arabs (Polish lines) and thought they were a good fit for me but figured I need an Arab/Warmblood X in order to move up the levels in Dressage. I'm only 5'4 and don't weigh very much so I figured I should aim for a horse between 15'2 and 17'0.

    In Germany, Arabs are for rich people, and Warmbloods are for working class, so imagine my surprise when I moved to the States and found out that the opposite is true here.
    oh, I was working class and bred Arabs there lol.
    You can get a purebred Arab and show in breed shows, to avoid the big horse stigma.
    I've recently seen a few warmbloods offered in my area well within your budget. Just yesterday a super nice Trakehner mare for 2500$.
         
        10-30-2013, 12:08 PM
      #10
    Started
    Interesting. I remember Anglo Arabs were a popular X in Germany back when I lived there, but I had never seen, touched, rode a purebred Arab until I moved to Oklahoma. They are everywhere around here.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    my friend got a horse intrested in breed and name ideas darkiss4428 Horse Breeds 33 09-17-2013 04:43 PM
    Any ideas what breed? Georgery Horse Breeds 23 05-15-2013 12:17 AM
    Breed ideas? sjames86 Horse Breeds 5 10-21-2012 07:56 PM
    christmas gift ideas for people on a budget! katieandduke General Off Topic Discussion 7 12-08-2008 02:12 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:59 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0