Budget Friendly dressage horse – breed ideas? - Page 2 - The Horse Forum

 16Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 67 Old 10-30-2013, 11:10 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Germany- but not German =D
Posts: 5,151
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by frlsgirl View Post
Wow, that was risky move - glad it worked out for you. I have a great trainer (Bronze, Silver & Gold USDF medals) but don't know if I can afford to pay for a horse AND then add expensive training on top of that. I was hoping for a horse that's completely broke to ride but maybe doesn't know the high level dressage stuff yet.

Very risky! But it paid off.
You don't have to spend a fortune. And you don't need a 'I have been to X events and won X medals' trainer.
My trainer ran a yard, and taught kids lessons every evening on school ponies and lunge lessons.
She used to ride her father's Trakehners in young horse shows, spent a couple of years in Cali, and then came back.
BUT she had the experience with young horses that I needed. I paid €10 for 40 mins twice a week.
Anyone who starts young horses, and has a classical outlook and background will do.

However, keep your eyes peeled. With winter approaching, I tend to find horse prices drop fairly well. There will be the right one out there. My budget was 6500, and I rode horses at that price.. that were extremely over rpiced. Just have to find your bargain ;)
DuffyDuck is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 67 Old 10-30-2013, 11:13 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 5,685
• Horses: 0
You can find Arabs all over the place here, for next to nothing. The one in my avatar was 350$....
deserthorsewoman is offline  
post #13 of 67 Old 10-30-2013, 11:16 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 2,961
• Horses: 3
If you really want "bomb proof"(I read quiet and non spooky) and arab or ottb may not be for you, although physically I think they would be best suited to the job at hand.

I have heard of draft x thoroughbreds doing well in the lower levels of dressage, and they tend to be much quieter, plus they are cheaper than warmbloods by a long shot. I knew a arab x percheron that would have been amazing, you would easily mistake her for a warmblood. Sometimes you can find a stock breed x thoroughbred that would work for what you want.
BlueSpark is offline  
post #14 of 67 Old 10-30-2013, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 3,404
• Horses: 1
Very interesting. I'm glad I started this thread. Getting all kinds of great ideas. I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger yet on purchasing a horse, just wanted to see if it's possible to ride/complete dressage on a budget. Most dressage people tell me I need to spend at least 25k and well the rebel in me says, there's got to be a different way.
DuffyDuck likes this.
frlsgirl is offline  
post #15 of 67 Old 10-30-2013, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: CT USA an English transplant
Posts: 21,783
• Horses: 3
I think if you're prepared to look around and maybe expand your search area you will find a WB, a WB xTB or WB X Arab in your price range at the level you want to compete in - especially if you're cheeky enough to put in a lower offer
If you decide to go for an OTTB then probably looking at one that's already been retrained might be best - they don't all have the temperament for dressage
This is a site that's always worth keeping an eye on
Dressage Horses For Sale at Warmblood-Sales.com
jaydee is offline  
post #16 of 67 Old 10-30-2013, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 3,404
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
I think if you're prepared to look around and maybe expand your search area you will find a WB, a WB xTB or WB X Arab in your price range at the level you want to compete in - especially if you're cheeky enough to put in a lower offer
If you decide to go for an OTTB then probably looking at one that's already been retrained might be best - they don't all have the temperament for dressage
This is a site that's always worth keeping an eye on
Dressage Horses For Sale at Warmblood-Sales.com
Thanks Jaydee. I'll check it out.
frlsgirl is offline  
post #17 of 67 Old 10-30-2013, 11:30 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Germany- but not German =D
Posts: 5,151
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by frlsgirl View Post
Very interesting. I'm glad I started this thread. Getting all kinds of great ideas. I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger yet on purchasing a horse, just wanted to see if it's possible to ride/complete dressage on a budget. Most dressage people tell me I need to spend at least 25k and well the rebel in me says, there's got to be a different way.
Ha.

Okay, some horses are worth it.
IMO, if I am spending that money.. it better poop gold.
Are you a big competitor, who wants to reach the top? Save.
Are you happy to train yourself, and hit third level? Search over winter months.

Dubai was a brilliant horse for me (I later found out he had a broken hind leg from foal age >.<) and most people priced him round €15,000+. Its amazing what people think, and what is the truth. You could spend $3000 on a horse, and tell people it was $30,000. Honestly, I think 70% of people would believe it.. or they would where I am from!
frlsgirl likes this.
DuffyDuck is offline  
post #18 of 67 Old 10-30-2013, 11:43 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 5,286
• Horses: 1
You should definitely be able to find a horse within your price range that is more or less ready to show training level now, and capable of making it to 2nd level with further training. The most obvious choices would be warmbloods and warmblood crosses, but you could also consider draft crosses (these don't always turnout well, but some are very, very nice!), the more English-built QH's (usually these have higher percentage TB bloodlines, or at least look more like their TB parentage), Arabs and Arab crosses.

You may need to spend $25k to get a horse that can go to 4th level and above (and already shown/trained to 2nd or 3rd for that price tag), but the potential to get to 2nd level and currently capable of Training level with little to no show record? That shouldn't be hard to find in your price range.
verona1016 is offline  
post #19 of 67 Old 10-30-2013, 11:49 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,268
• Horses: 0
My trainer has a QH/TB cross she does 4th level with successfully.

I have a friend who took her TB to 4th and he would have went further but he was getting up there in age.

If you keep your eyes open you will find something that will fit your needs and stay in your budget.

BB ~ 2014 Trakehner Bratty Mare ~ 1993 CSHA Em ~ 2007 Standardbred
NBEventer is offline  
post #20 of 67 Old 10-30-2013, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 3,404
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by verona1016 View Post
You should definitely be able to find a horse within your price range that is more or less ready to show training level now, and capable of making it to 2nd level with further training. The most obvious choices would be warmbloods and warmblood crosses, but you could also consider draft crosses (these don't always turnout well, but some are very, very nice!), the more English-built QH's (usually these have higher percentage TB bloodlines, or at least look more like their TB parentage), Arabs and Arab crosses.

You may need to spend $25k to get a horse that can go to 4th level and above (and already shown/trained to 2nd or 3rd for that price tag), but the potential to get to 2nd level and currently capable of Training level with little to no show record? That shouldn't be hard to find in your price range.
Problem with the Draft Crosses is that now I need an XLT trailer, XLT saddle and all that adds up. Of course draft horses are more on the laid back side (closer to bombproof). But I can handle a slightly spooky horse, but I don't want one that freaks out every time it sees something new. So maybe I should look at the below 5 level on the spookyness scale.
frlsgirl is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my friend got a horse intrested in breed and name ideas darkiss4428 Horse Breeds 33 09-17-2013 03:43 PM
Any ideas what breed? Georgery Horse Breeds 23 05-14-2013 11:17 PM
Breed ideas? sjames86 Horse Breeds 5 10-21-2012 06:56 PM
christmas gift ideas for people on a budget! katieandduke General Off Topic Discussion 7 12-08-2008 01:12 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome