Connemara an Irish Pony
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeds

Connemara an Irish Pony

This is a discussion on Connemara an Irish Pony within the Horse Breeds forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category

    Like Tree3Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        02-25-2014, 08:10 AM
      #1
    Foal
    Connemara an Irish Pony

    Has anyone spent much time on this Breed?

    I have become acquainted with an older mare recently who for the most part of the last month had been in her stall more than out. After riding a few times I can understand how the incident happened to the previous rider where she is quite reluctant to start riding again.

    I really felt I would be too big for the Pony, but everyone who knew her said she was quite wide and had been ridden by people larger than me. (I'm 5'10" 200#)

    I have seen a couple photos of me on her and don't think I am too bad and really with her speed and agility I wouldn't want to be up much higher.

    My questions are:

    1. Are they all able to change directions on a dime at full speed or is she just special?

    2. I have a loose rein and ride western saddle she has mostly been ridden using an English saddle and technique. She will neck rein, but stopping isn't what I have been used to with a Quarter Horse (what I have ridden most.)
    It takes quite the pull to get her to whoa and my precious trick of slowing one down by causing an ever smaller circle almost resulted in a disaster. This horse can change from going North to South and not loose a step.

    I am, as slowly as I can, approaching the 6th decade. I still feel like I am in my 30's but if I ever really test out the body I'm sure it will remind me of how old I really am.

    Any suggestions on how to continue to ride this gal without hurting either her or me?

    Current bit is a snaffle on an net bridle with a link chin strap. She is very easy to catch, comes to you, puts her head in the halter stands still for all the grooming, easily lifts her feet for inspections and when she does not have a saddle on her back will walk calmly where ever you want to go. Throw a saddle on her and she switches gears and just wants to go go go go go go go.

    I put her on a long lunge line yesterday before riding. (testing out the fit of a new saddle before actually mounting up.) She responds to voice commands walk, trot and canter while on the line and did a pretty good job with whoa, but still not the best.

    Ok you are probably tired of reading so now I will stop. Thanks in advance for ideas, suggestions, comments and concerns.

    Rod
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        02-25-2014, 08:18 AM
      #2
    Started
    I think most of the horse's behaviours come from it's personality and previous training and experiences. So, assessing what you have in front of you without making assumptions based on breed is the best way to do it.

    I only knew Connemaras in the UK, and I don't know what they are like over here. Going by the Shetlands there may be a significant difference so I am not going to assume that I can correctly visualise the pony you are talking about.

    Therefore her ability to carry your weight I cannot begin to comment on.

    If her mind is like a typical Irish Connemara, then she will be intelligent, and stubborn. They are bred for work and tough living. Are you able to have her on trial?
         
        02-25-2014, 08:39 AM
      #3
    Foal
    Tried to edit a photo link in.

    https://plus.google.com/photos/10135...PqynYuHnomPkwE

    But apparently editing a post is only possible for 10 minutes after posting. Took me longer than that to upload the photos. Will plan better next time.

    Rod
         
        02-25-2014, 08:48 AM
      #4
    Super Moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lappir    
    https://plus.google.com/photos/10135...PqynYuHnomPkwE

    But apparently editing a post is only possible for 10 minutes after posting. Took me longer than that to upload the photos. Will plan better next time.

    Rod

    It is a bit hard to get an idea about the pony from those photos.

    Conny's are great ponies, tough, full of character and can usually jump anything.
    lappir likes this.
         
        02-25-2014, 08:56 AM
      #5
    Super Moderator
    I had a mare with some Connemara in her breeding and a gelding that was Connemara x TB but never owned a purebred
    The breed is supposed to originate from Spanish horses that survived shipwrecks and made it to Irish shores and interbred with smaller ponies, they've also had Arabian and TB added to the breed to give them more quality so they do have a bit of an edge to them and make super jumping ponies
    They had to survive in the wild so agility must be a strong feature and the two I had that had Connemara blood were extremely intelligent and very trainable though also strong minded and more the type of horse that you had to use clever tactics to make them think they were doing something they wanted to do rather than being forced or bullied into what you wanted them to do
    I can't say about their weight carrying capability but would have thought that 200lb was possibly pushing it a bit and might have a negative affect on the legs and joints over time
    Clava likes this.
         
        02-25-2014, 09:52 AM
      #6
    Foal
    Was mostly photoing the saddle for my use later,

    Then after riding yesterday I thought about asking here for assistance. Might do some additional photos soon.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clava    
    It is a bit hard to get an idea about the pony from those photos.

    Conny's are great ponies, tough, full of character and can usually jump anything.
         
        02-25-2014, 09:55 AM
      #7
    Foal
    Not going to purchase.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shropshirerosie    
    I think most of the horse's behaviours come from it's personality and previous training and experiences. So, assessing what you have in front of you without making assumptions based on breed is the best way to do it.

    I only knew Connemaras in the UK, and I don't know what they are like over here. Going by the Shetlands there may be a significant difference so I am not going to assume that I can correctly visualise the pony you are talking about.

    Therefore her ability to carry your weight I cannot begin to comment on.

    If her mind is like a typical Irish Connemara, then she will be intelligent, and stubborn. They are bred for work and tough living. Are you able to have her on trial?
    I assume you mean trial before purchase. I won't be buying a horse. I travel way too much to own a horse.

    I did buy my saddle, and other tack. The photos were mostly of the saddle for me to look at later.

    Rod
         
        02-25-2014, 07:18 PM
      #8
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lappir    
    1. Are they all able to change directions on a dime at full speed or is she just special?

    Sounds exactly like a Connemara I used to ride!
         
        02-25-2014, 08:31 PM
      #9
    Showing
    A Connemara mare was entered in a jumping class with a 15 yr old rider on board at the Brandon Winter Fair. This was an open class against the clock. They came in 2nd to last to compete and they literally flew around the course. What she didn't have for height that small mare made up for in speed as she sailed over the big spreads. She could turn on a dime which shaved seconds off her time and they won. I was truly impressed by her young rider's skills.
    BrienaSkysong likes this.
         
        02-26-2014, 05:14 AM
      #10
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Saddlebag    
    A Connemara mare was entered in a jumping class with a 15 yr old rider on board at the Brandon Winter Fair. This was an open class against the clock. They came in 2nd to last to compete and they literally flew around the course. What she didn't have for height that small mare made up for in speed as she sailed over the big spreads. She could turn on a dime which shaved seconds off her time and they won. I was truly impressed by her young rider's skills.
    So I really just need to spend more time in the saddle and get used to the agility. I won't be doing any jumps and I hope she isn't upset about that. I just want to ride a bit and not really compete with anyone.

    Initially when I saw her out in the paddock I was thinking she would make a good "Barrel Racer" but I am not sure right now. I'm guessing there would be a lot of turned over barrels. They are just to big for her short turning radius. I did a mock pole bending maneuver on one of our runs and I'm sure she would fly through those with out a problem. Too bad I am not a 15 year old kid, I'd be having a blast.

    Rod
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Connemara owners or same build pony - need saddle help! tpup Horse Breeds 2 06-27-2012 05:18 PM
    when to start training a connemara pony bellobell Horse Training 1 04-06-2012 08:09 PM
    Help! Connemara Pony or Draft Pony Cross? RioPony Horse Breeds 17 07-17-2010 10:00 AM
    my Connemara :) edozier1 Horse Pictures 17 01-18-2009 11:28 PM
    My Connemara Erin_And_Jasper Horse Riding Critique 13 07-08-2008 03:29 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:43 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0