The History of Pure Breeds
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeds

The History of Pure Breeds

This is a discussion on The History of Pure Breeds within the Horse Breeds forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category
  • Horse forum
  • 'pure' horse breeds

Like Tree44Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    08-15-2011, 08:49 AM
  #1
Weanling
The History of Pure Breeds

Disclaimer: The discussion below was moved from the Why are YOU breeding? thread. Thank you!
Kitten_Val


The Arabian breed is typically known as the improvement breed/blood. There is Arabian Blood in most all horses as they typically are known to be the only purebreed of horse that exisits today. There is of course those that dispute this and state the Akhal Teke is the only purebreed that exisits....so who is correct?? I am not an expert nor is there a 100% guarantee either is correct so I continue to read and learn. Thus far, based on the information I have as of todays date, my vote if I had to vote would go to the Purebred Arabian ;)

Denise Gainey
Druydess likes this.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    08-15-2011, 09:53 AM
  #2
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGEsquire    
The Arabian breed is typically known as the improvement breed/blood. There is Arabian Blood in most all horses as they typically are known to be the only purebreed of horse that exisits today. There is of course those that dispute this and state the Akhal Teke is the only purebreed that exisits....so who is correct?? I am not an expert nor is there a 100% guarantee either is correct so I continue to read and learn. Thus far, based on the information I have as of todays date, my vote if I had to vote would go to the Purebred Arabian ;)

Denise Gainey
I agree the arabian is the oldest and the foundation to every saddle horse out there.
     
    08-15-2011, 10:42 PM
  #3
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyPerlinoQH    
I agree the arabian is the oldest and the foundation to every saddle horse out there.
Very true... people tend to forget that fact...
     
    08-15-2011, 10:52 PM
  #4
Banned
Except that people would then be neglecting breeds like the Norwegian Fjord, which is actually suspected to be the oldest and purest horse breed (and which is closely descended from the Przewalski, which is the oldest "modern" horse by far), in addition to Icelandics (which probably are the purest current horse breed, and are certainly very old), and then breeds like the Flanders horse, which contributed not just to the draft horses we see today, but also to modern riding horses...
     
    08-15-2011, 11:22 PM
  #5
Green Broke
The Fjord studbook was only closed at the start of the 19th century, and before it was, there was other colours that were not dun in the breed prior to that point. I wouldn't discount Arab from them

Icelandics would have to be the only other breed aside from Arabs that I would consider to be 'pure'. A government imposed ban on importing horses for the last 1000 years will do that to a breed lol.
     
    08-15-2011, 11:31 PM
  #6
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba13    
Except that people would then be neglecting breeds like the Norwegian Fjord, which is actually suspected to be the oldest and purest horse breed (and which is closely descended from the Przewalski, which is the oldest "modern" horse by far), in addition to Icelandics (which probably are the purest current horse breed, and are certainly very old), and then breeds like the Flanders horse, which contributed not just to the draft horses we see today, but also to modern riding horses...
I don't see where neglecting comes into it. They are all lovely breeds, but have little influence on American breeds as a whole. European- definitely..
Arabians have always been used to refine and improve most other breeds throughout history.. pure in their own right, having evolved as one of the three, possibly four sources of modern horses. I don't see a lot of Icelandic and Przewalski seeding our modern stock..
Horses, having been introduced to North America, not being indigenous, owe their ancestry in large part to the Spanish Barb. Arabian blood later refined untold numbers of horses in existence, including the draft..i.e- the Percheron as one result..
     
    08-15-2011, 11:35 PM
  #7
Yearling
I doubt Fjords have arab in there. I'll ask my breeder friend and see what she says ;)
     
    08-15-2011, 11:37 PM
  #8
Banned
The point I was making, simply, is that Perlino's quote is not exactly correct, nor is it an "indisputable fact," as some seem to believe and have said. I like Arabians, anyway, and the influence they've had on some modern breeds is certainly substantial, in terms of adding refinement and the "pretty factor." Perhaps some help with endurance, too. But sometimes I think people tend to give Arabians too much credit, to the detriment of the reputation of other breeds, which may be older or purer or more suitable for X discipline. And there's certainly a lot of misinformation about the origin of the Arabian horse, though I don't claim to be an expert in that regard....
     
    08-15-2011, 11:42 PM
  #9
Green Broke
Look at a Perchie for example. You might not see the Arab in there, doesn't mean it isn't there. In fact, Percheron's have a quite large percentage of Arab blood.

The only question in my mind is when you can say the Arabian was a breed, and not just a horse of oriental type. Because if you count the oriental type as Arab, then every breed that is not a Przewalkski has Arab influence, including the Icelandic.
     
    08-15-2011, 11:45 PM
  #10
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBHavin    
I doubt Fjords have arab in there. I'll ask my breeder friend and see what she says ;)
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I never said Fjords had Arab in them. That's sorta like saying Arabs have Fjord in them. I said most modern American horses have Arab in them.
Two completely different points of origin.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you think he is pure appaloosa? Rachel1786 Horse Breeds 56 01-17-2011 08:10 PM
Pure Happiness AngelWithoutWings54 Horse Stories and Poems 1 08-29-2010 06:10 PM
Idk think she is Pure TB Klassic Superstar Horse Riding Critique 7 01-16-2010 08:54 PM
Do you think she's really pure Arabian? Wallaby Horse Breeds 61 10-23-2009 07:38 PM
Pure Breed Arab???? Baby Doll Amy Horse Breeds 14 01-31-2009 07:52 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0