BUT... just recently I've fallen in love with Draft/Heavy horses. Y'know... the REALLY big ones.
I've never worked with a draft, only stocky ponies. I've seen drafts in real life, and petted them, but never worked with, ridden, etc one.
My questions are these. Very simple, but easy:
1. Which would most likely be more expensive, (without vet bills, and all that, basic care) a light horse (like a TB or SB), or a heavy horse (more like a Clyde, Shire, or even a Belgian or Brabant)?
2. Which horse would most likely eat more (normally)?
3. What are main characteristics of Heavy Horses? (I know hot-blooded racers like the back of my hand)
4. Which one would need more trips to the vet?
5. Which one would thrive better in Texas? (that's where I'll be living for college)
I know that things always depend on the horse, but I'm just asking for VERY basic answers. Just the general thing, not necessarily something intricate, because I know that things need to be said on a horse to horse basis.
I have three years to decide, but I'd like to know at least a bit before I rush into things!