Mare's breed? Baffled. - Page 4
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeds

Mare's breed? Baffled.

This is a discussion on Mare's breed? Baffled. within the Horse Breeds forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        10-23-2011, 09:57 PM
      #31
    Teen Forum Moderator
    XDD yes, they do have quite the same goofy dinosaur heads, don't they? He doesn't really seem like a draft x app to me, but I'm obviously no expert. XP
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        10-23-2011, 10:24 PM
      #32
    Banned
    She thinks draft because his head and feet are so big. I am not sure why she says appy, it could be because of his nature though. Similar manes as well. Does your mares tail get curly when it's humid?
         
        10-23-2011, 10:35 PM
      #33
    Teen Forum Moderator
    She might be thinking appy because of the striped hooves. If the skin under his tail, near his eyes, and on his muzzle isn't mottled though, the striping is most likely because of something else.

    No, Corona's mane and tail thankfully stay about the same year round. It gets a bit dry in the winter, but that's about it.
         
        10-23-2011, 11:07 PM
      #34
    Banned
    Well that's good! She always talks about what a pain his tail is to maintain!
         
        10-24-2011, 10:20 AM
      #35
    Green Broke
    I just don't see that their heads look so awful. I think some very good riding horses are critiqued way too roughly. I'm more for soundness & safety, so I'm very glad my horses are just a few feet from my backdoor & not being subjected to constant criticism.
         
        10-24-2011, 11:31 AM
      #36
    Banned
    AMEN! I would never have my horses anywhere else :)
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        10-24-2011, 11:43 AM
      #37
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cacowgirl    
    I just don't see that their heads look so awful. I think some very good riding horses are critiqued way too roughly. I'm more for soundness & safety, so I'm very glad my horses are just a few feet from my backdoor & not being subjected to constant criticism.
    My horse has a wonky neck, and hind legs. And on some days she does look just plain ugly.
    But that doesn't mean I love her any less.

    Honestly, if I'm paying $300+/month to keep her, I can criticize her all I want.


    OP, my first thought was Saddlebred.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        10-24-2011, 01:37 PM
      #38
    Teen Forum Moderator
    Cacowgirl- I'm mostly teasing her, although if you were to meet her in person, I think you'd be saying a bit different. With a few more pounds on her and some more conditioning, I'm sure she won't look so odd, but in all truth- she does have a dinosaur head. We love her, ofcourse, and she's a very nice addition to our program, but the fact is that she's quite obviously not the epitomy of a perfect horse. She's bull-headed at times (this is the mare that I had problems with when on the trail. She has a dangerous quality about her that makes her have no problem with running head first into a tree...with me on her), pigeon toed, a bit narrow chested, she over-reaches, and has enough energy for five horses. These are cold, hard facts about her that make her what she is. I'm not downing her, but they're crucial to evaluate and keep in mind when she's working. With less than perfect conformation, I feel obligated to keep her from being bred, and to provide the shodding, boots, and training necessary to keep her from harming herself.

    I'd much rather be well aware of exactly what is wrong with her and what is not, and be able to monitor and correct some of it- than go around saying 'my horse is perfect because she has a good heart and is a great trail horse. Nothing else matters.'
         
        10-24-2011, 01:49 PM
      #39
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Endiku    
    Cacowgirl- I'm mostly teasing her, although if you were to meet her in person, I think you'd be saying a bit different. With a few more pounds on her and some more conditioning, I'm sure she won't look so odd, but in all truth- she does have a dinosaur head. We love her, ofcourse, and she's a very nice addition to our program, but the fact is that she's quite obviously not the epitomy of a perfect horse. She's bull-headed at times (this is the mare that I had problems with when on the trail. She has a dangerous quality about her that makes her have no problem with running head first into a tree...with me on her), pigeon toed, a bit narrow chested, she over-reaches, and has enough energy for five horses. These are cold, hard facts about her that make her what she is. I'm not downing her, but they're crucial to evaluate and keep in mind when she's working. With less than perfect conformation, I feel obligated to keep her from being bred, and to provide the shodding, boots, and training necessary to keep her from harming herself.

    I'd much rather be well aware of exactly what is wrong with her and what is not, and be able to monitor and correct some of it- than go around saying 'my horse is perfect because she has a good heart and is a great trail horse. Nothing else matters.'
    This is something I wish more people thought about. Being "critical" about conformation can also be seen, more truly, as being aware of potential physical limitations and considerations when it comes to training. Far too many people wind up injuring horses by working outside the scope of their PHYSICAL ability. (just because a horse is willing enough to try doesn't mean it should be asked)
         
        10-24-2011, 02:16 PM
      #40
    Teen Forum Moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastUnicorn    
    This is something I wish more people thought about. Being "critical" about conformation can also be seen, more truly, as being aware of potential physical limitations and considerations when it comes to training. Far too many people wind up injuring horses by working outside the scope of their PHYSICAL ability. (just because a horse is willing enough to try doesn't mean it should be asked)

    Exactly. For example. I mentioned before that she is a fully trained and very capable header, and I was seriouse. She's a fantastic cow horse with great sense, but I don't think we'll ever use her for that purpose. She's nothing like the bulky, well-build stock horses that we generally use for working with the cattle, and I really don't think that her body could take the pressure of a job like that. With as much pep as she has though, she'd go crazy as a weekend trail mount. Without work, she paces the pasture for hours. So, we enlisted her as an intermediate/advanced lesson horse, as well as our more 'long distance' trail mount for the instructors. With a job like this, she can be exercised sufficiently, but without the unnecessary strain on her bones and tendons.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    « Zony?? | rain »
    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    What do you think of my mare's conformation? breemyster Horse Pictures 4 06-17-2011 04:03 PM
    My mare's 2 foals Hoofprints in the Sand Horse Breeding 18 02-26-2010 10:11 AM
    Who would like to guess my mare's breed? kmdstar Horse Breeds 33 11-24-2009 04:11 AM
    Behavior issue..baffled. beepine Horse Training 23 05-09-2009 02:43 PM
    My mare's left ear? SDS Horse Training 11 06-25-2008 02:57 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:58 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0