Native British Breeds - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeds

Native British Breeds

This is a discussion on Native British Breeds within the Horse Breeds forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category
  • 9 horse native breeds
  • 2 native horse breeds of britian

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    11-14-2009, 03:38 PM
  #11
Lis
Yearling
No Haflingers are I think a German breed or somewhere in that area of Europe.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    11-14-2009, 04:20 PM
  #12
Foal
There are 9 'native' breeds of pony in the UK
Shetland
Highland
Dales
Fell
Welsh (a,b,c,d)
New Forest
Dartmoor
Exmoor
Connemara

Other British breeds include
Eriskay
Hackney
Cleveland Bay
Thoroughbred
Suffolk Punch
Clydesdale
Shire
Irish Draught

Haflingers are an Austrian breed
     
    11-14-2009, 04:35 PM
  #13
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by FjordFan    
There are 9 'native' breeds of pony in the UK
Shetland
Highland
Dales
Fell
Welsh (a,b,c,d)
New Forest
Dartmoor
Exmoor
Connemara

Other British breeds include
Eriskay
Hackney
Cleveland Bay
Thoroughbred
Suffolk Punch
Clydesdale
Shire
Irish Draught


Haflingers are an Austrian breed
Forgot to say Britain and Ireland as the Irish Draught and Connemara are not 'British' breeds as such and to add to the list Kerry Bog Pony
     
    11-15-2009, 02:22 AM
  #14
Yearling
Does anyone else ride or know of anyone riding Suffolk Punch x horses? If so what are they like?
     
    11-15-2009, 09:09 AM
  #15
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by FjordFan    
Forgot to say Britain and Ireland as the Irish Draught and Connemara are not 'British' breeds as such and to add to the list Kerry Bog Pony
(bolding mine)

LOL I was just coming to give you a slap!
     
    11-15-2009, 09:10 AM
  #16
Weanling
Haflingers are from Austria I believe. I don't know if I would consider Hackneys as popular her in the US. I have never seen one or heard of anyone with one except on here and they may have been in the UK.
     
    11-15-2009, 03:13 PM
  #17
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwigirl    
Does anyone else ride or know of anyone riding Suffolk Punch x horses? If so what are they like?
They're a bit like the Comtois. Temperament wise anyway.
There only fault is they are known for being a farriers worst nightmare, their hooves crack and split so easily.
And, like any heavy horse, they get curbs easily.
But more or less like a Comtois.
     
    11-15-2009, 07:12 PM
  #18
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoi Miku    
They're a bit like the Comtois. Temperament wise anyway.
There only fault is they are known for being a farriers worst nightmare, their hooves crack and split so easily.
And, like any heavy horse, they get curbs easily.
But more or less like a Comtois.
Thanks Aoi Miku. But sorry for showing my ignorance on two fronts, what is a Comtois and what are curbs?

I was wondering what people are using SP x's for. As a riding horse are they used in any disciplins, can they jump? The reason I ask is that my mare is SP x, her dam was clydie TB x, her sire pure SP. Phoenix has great feet, nice and hard so I think I am lucky there! I have never seen another SP horse here in NZ so haven't a clue what to expect from my mare.
     
    11-15-2009, 10:34 PM
  #19
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by apache    
Sorry I worded that wrong I was thinking more of our mountain and moorland breeds
I love the mountain and moorland breeds! Connemaras are VERY popular in Canada. Welsh B's are definitely the most popular children's pony. Welsh A's and D's are less common and C's are rare. Crossbreeding the Welsh breeds is very common however. I have ridden both Dales and New Forest's but they aren't very well known either. Highlands, Dartmoors, Exmoors and Fells are all extremely rare.
     
    11-16-2009, 01:07 AM
  #20
Started
^^^ Fells are the best... I'm a little biased though ;)
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cowboy or Native American? blue_moon_721 Horse Talk 14 11-25-2008 09:14 AM
Jet's Native Showoff carriedenaee Horse Pictures 6 04-21-2008 04:46 PM
Anyone ever heard of Arbecca's Native? BluMagic Horse Talk 0 04-20-2008 07:47 PM
Native American Horsemanship WildFeathers Horse Training 6 04-06-2008 02:06 AM
Hi from British Columbia!! cheekyhorse Meet the Community 3 07-25-2007 02:58 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0