Paint Topic
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeds

Paint Topic

This is a discussion on Paint Topic within the Horse Breeds forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        11-10-2010, 01:07 AM
      #1
    Banned
    Paint Topic

    I have a Gelding, I don't have his papers because I don't know where there are...
    Most paints are crossed with another breed, so what I have been told. My Gelding is 16hh, 17 years old and I haven't had him more then 6 months. He put his tail and head and prances just like an Arabian. But he also reminds me of a TB too, so I don't know.. If he is TB paint or Arabian, I barely dealt with cross breeds.

    Anyone else had or have paints?
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        11-10-2010, 01:26 AM
      #2
    Yearling
    In order to be registered with APHA, the horse's sire and dam must be registered with APHA, AQHA, or the Jockey Club. Thus, both parents must be registered Paint, or one parent must be registered Paint while the other is either registered QH or registered TB.
         
        11-10-2010, 01:33 AM
      #3
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sahara    
    In order to be registered with APHA, the horse's sire and dam must be registered with APHA, AQHA, or the Jockey Club. Thus, both parents must be registered Paint, or one parent must be registered Paint while the other is either registered QH or registered TB.
    Yeah I know if I knew where the papers were it would help a lot. The jockey club never heard of it.

    You got a paint horse?
         
        11-10-2010, 01:57 AM
      #4
    Yearling
    The Jockey Club is the organization that registers TBs.

    I have 3 Paints. All mares.
         
        11-10-2010, 02:02 AM
      #5
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sahara    
    The Jockey Club is the organization that registers TBs.

    I have 3 Paints. All mares.
    Cool, I'll look it up later.
    I have 3 paint 2 mares and one gelding. My mare Jody someone said" she looks like a short abarain." I just laughed, you can see her on my profile, she is a solid paint. Great barrel racer but she green broke.
    So what are you paint like? After all it's paint topic.
         
        11-10-2010, 11:26 AM
      #6
    Weanling
    Cowgirl, I think you are using the term "paint" in the generic sense-- to refer to the color of the horse? The confusion is arising because there is a formal breed called a Paint which has limited bloodlines, and most people involved in the stock horse breeds don't call a horse a Paint unless they are referring to that specific breed-- but I know that the generic term "paint" IS still being used to refer to color only by some people as well.

    Its true, the color patterns generically called "paint" or "pinto" can occur on just about any combination of breeds. The American Paint Horse registry however has specific bloodline requirments-- a Paint horse (notice the capital P) will not have other breeds besides Paint, Quarter Horse, or Thoroughbred in its pedigree.

    There is also a Pinto registry which will register horses with these spotted patterns but with a much more wide variety of bloodlines. The Pinto horse Association still has a list of approved breeds and still requires both parents be registered to register a Pinto stallion, but they do allow mares and geldings with the accepted color to be registered Pintos even if they have unknown pedigrees.

    Hope that helps!

    Also , please post pics of your horses if possible!
         
        11-10-2010, 05:02 PM
      #7
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eastowest    
    Cowgirl, I think you are using the term "paint" in the generic sense-- to refer to the color of the horse? The confusion is arising because there is a formal breed called a Paint which has limited bloodlines, and most people involved in the stock horse breeds don't call a horse a Paint unless they are referring to that specific breed-- but I know that the generic term "paint" IS still being used to refer to color only by some people as well.

    Its true, the color patterns generically called "paint" or "pinto" can occur on just about any combination of breeds. The American Paint Horse registry however has specific bloodline requirments-- a Paint horse (notice the capital P) will not have other breeds besides Paint, Quarter Horse, or Thoroughbred in its pedigree.

    There is also a Pinto registry which will register horses with these spotted patterns but with a much more wide variety of bloodlines. The Pinto horse Association still has a list of approved breeds and still requires both parents be registered to register a Pinto stallion, but they do allow mares and geldings with the accepted color to be registered Pintos even if they have unknown pedigrees.

    Hope that helps!

    Also , please post pics of your horses if possible!
    My mare I have is a paint, she is registered as one. I have her papers when I got her.

    My gelding I have a photo in my profile. I got him a few moths got he is sorrel and white, mostly white. He is the color of a "Paint" but I don't know his blood lines.
         
        11-10-2010, 05:08 PM
      #8
    Yearling
    I have a Paint x Hanoverian.
    Just a note: Paint doesn't mean the same thing as Pinto
    Paint is a breed
    Pinto is a color/pattern
         
        11-10-2010, 05:29 PM
      #9
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arksly    
    I have a Paint x Hanoverian.
    Just a note: Paint doesn't mean the same thing as Pinto
    Paint is a breed
    Pinto is a color/pattern
    Yep, Paint and Pinto big difference.
         
        11-10-2010, 05:33 PM
      #10
    Weanling
    OK, I was just making a simple explanations, because in your original post you said you thought he might be crossed with an Arabian-- and if he is an APHA registered Paint, that is not possible.

    Can you post his registered name, and maybe some photos? There are several of us who love to dig into bloodlines/pedigrees, and you might get some interesting input on what ancestors he got his looks from!
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Anyone want to draw/paint my paintless paint? Painted1 Horse Artwork 31 08-31-2011 05:12 AM
    trading paint 4 paint. what do you think?? peace love and paints Horse Riding Critique 4 04-21-2009 04:38 PM
    Look here! Yes, you! Over here! Please look @ this topic! Rachluvshorses4eva Horse Pictures 10 06-03-2008 12:35 AM
    Fun Topic skirel Barn Maintenance 12 02-20-2008 02:52 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:56 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0