Paints vs. Pintos... - Page 4 - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 101 Old 03-05-2010, 11:56 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 5,455
• Horses: 1
You obviously picked the only 8 horses that look alike in both breeds.

There's nothing like the Rockies in the springtime... Nothing like the freedom in the air... And there ain't nothing better than draggin calves to the fire and there's nothing like the smell of burning hair. -Brenn Hill
kevinshorses is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 101 Old 03-06-2010, 12:06 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 735
• Horses: 1
>>>> You obviously picked the only 8 horses that look alike in both breeds.

You notice it took me weeks and weeks to search em out and match em up too eh?

Laura Lyon
Eastowest
http://www.eastowest.com
Eastowest is offline  
post #33 of 101 Old 03-06-2010, 12:16 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 5,455
• Horses: 1
You msut keep people on staff to do this type of thing.

There's nothing like the Rockies in the springtime... Nothing like the freedom in the air... And there ain't nothing better than draggin calves to the fire and there's nothing like the smell of burning hair. -Brenn Hill
kevinshorses is offline  
post #34 of 101 Old 03-06-2010, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bristol, CT
Posts: 356
• Horses: 2
Thank you very much eastowest, for decoding the pedigree a bit for me. I didn't mean to start a debate or drag up an old argument. Just genuinely confused. I'll just call her half-Arab, half Quaint now, lol. Oh and I am also changing Seriously Secure's name to Seriously on Steroids, but in my OP, this is the build I see in alot of the QH's I board with, so you can see why I have a hard time believing she resembles anything like that.

Oh, and since you have been so helpful, will I be able to tell if she is of Polish, Crabbit...etc descent from looking at the pedigree?

Last edited by Seahorseys; 03-06-2010 at 12:23 AM.
Seahorseys is offline  
post #35 of 101 Old 03-06-2010, 12:27 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 629
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastowest View Post
>>>> You obviously picked the only 8 horses that look alike in both breeds.

You notice it took me weeks and weeks to search em out and match em up too eh?
And none of these individuals possess both APHA and AQHA individuals in the first three generations?

It's also quite evident that horses competing in the same event should structurally lookalike to excel in said discipline at a high level regardless of breed. Otherwise, they wouldn't excel in that discipline.
Mercedes is offline  
post #36 of 101 Old 03-06-2010, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bristol, CT
Posts: 356
• Horses: 2
I don't want to catch any flack for saying this, but I do notice a slight ALBEIT slight difference between the two breeds. Some paints have a tendency to look a little thinned out, possess some TB looking qualities or something. I may not know what I am talking about, but it stands out to me in some of the photos.
Seahorseys is offline  
post #37 of 101 Old 03-06-2010, 12:55 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 5,455
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedes View Post

It's also quite evident that horses competing in the same event should structurally lookalike to excel in said discipline at a high level regardless of breed. Otherwise, they wouldn't excel in that discipline.

Didn't someone write something almost exactly like this on the first page? You just argue to argue don't you? I think you know you're wrong youare just too stubborn to admit it. I guess that is one of the things that make this forum interesting.

There's nothing like the Rockies in the springtime... Nothing like the freedom in the air... And there ain't nothing better than draggin calves to the fire and there's nothing like the smell of burning hair. -Brenn Hill
kevinshorses is offline  
post #38 of 101 Old 03-06-2010, 02:08 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: northern arkansas
Posts: 3,100
• Horses: 1
AHH, another Mercedes vs.----- debate! Sorry I missed this one!

Common sense says: The 2 "breeds" started form the same horses and one branched for color... they are outcrossed to the same breeds and "incrossed" to each other as well and their registry is almost interchangeable, same conformation, same temperament, same jobs, why? They are the same thing!! One has "painted" coloring one does not and sometimes *gasp* the "painted" ones that are bred to the other "painted" ones come out looking just exactly like any other quarter horse... And why is that kiddies, shall we say it again? They are the same thing!

Op, your mare is beautiful and quite the "quaint" looking little girl lol. Keep us updated on your research!

Ω Horses are a projection of peoples dreams Ω
Honeysuga is offline  
post #39 of 101 Old 03-06-2010, 08:12 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 735
• Horses: 1
>>>> And none of these individuals possess both APHA and AQHA individuals in the first three generations?

The AQHA horses don't have Paint ancestry unless it came from AQHA x AQHA cropouts.... And yes, the Paints have QH ancestry, as do most Paints, because QH crossing is allowed and practiced in the paint horse breed, as several of us have been saying .

>>>> It's also quite evident that horses competing in the same event should structurally lookalike to excel in said discipline at a high level regardless of breed. Otherwise, they wouldn't excel in that discipline.

These Paints are winning at the top levels AT PAINT SHOWS. Thas where they won all the listed awards-- not at all-breed competitions against QHs. The QHs shown are winning at AQHA shows. Both breeds have the same standards at their shows for what a Halter or Pleasure or Hunter Under Saddle performer should look/move like, so in both breeds, horses have developed to meet their BREED's standards for those events.

Seahorseys said---
>>>> I don't want to catch any flack for saying this, but I do notice a slight ALBEIT slight difference between the two breeds. Some paints have a tendency to look a little thinned out, possess some TB looking qualities or something. I may not know what I am talking about, but it stands out to me in some of the photos.

I agree that there are some individual differences, however to me the pictured 2006 winning Paint Halter horse is heavier muscled than the pictured 2006 winning QH Halter horse, and the pictured HUS QH looks more TB than the pictured Paint HUS horse, who to me has a slightly bigger hip, gaskin, and forearm... so I could argue seeing slightly more TB influence in the QHs in these two individual instances. I agree that the 2009 halter winning QH is heavier, and to me the WP horses are pretty close to tied. Structurally, angles wise, overall impression wise, the horses resemble each other quite a bit, and had I not been trying to match accomplishment to accomplishment and year to year, I could have hand picked horses that were built identically between the breeds, because there are so many to choose from that DO look even more alike-- I was just trying to be "fair", LOL.

Laura Lyon
Eastowest
http://www.eastowest.com
Eastowest is offline  
post #40 of 101 Old 03-06-2010, 08:30 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 735
• Horses: 1
>>>>> Thank you very much eastowest, for decoding the pedigree a bit for me. I didn't mean to start a debate or drag up an old argument. Just genuinely confused. I'll just call her half-Arab, half Quaint now, lol.

I like Quaint, LOL. But seriously, she could be properly called (and registered, if you like) a 1/2 Arab Pinto.... because she has a purebred Arab parent, and the Paint parent gave her pinto coloring (FWIW, in my area many registered Paints are also double registered Pintos-- pretty much all Paints can be Pintos, but not all Pintos can be Paints, because of the more limited bloodline requirements of the Paints.)

>>>> Oh, and since you have been so helpful, will I be able to tell if she is of Polish, Crabbit...etc descent from looking at the pedigree?

Her dam is not "straight" anything, but with her dam's sire Chymahrus Hallany being Al Khamsa, Straight Egyptian, she (your mare's dam) could be called "Egyptian related". As for the rest of the pedigree-- Cognac was pure Polish. Khemosabi was a blend of Crabbet, Polish, Babson Egyptian, etc. I would call your mare's Arab side an Egyptian related/American Arabian blend.

Laura Lyon
Eastowest
http://www.eastowest.com
Eastowest is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Paints and Pintos barnrat Horse Breeds 42 11-12-2009 03:44 PM
Discussion about Paints, specifically Breeding Stock Paints JustDressageIt Horse Breeding 22 03-23-2009 08:42 AM
Body markings (paints, appys, pintos, greys, etc.) kitten_Val Horse Pictures 41 11-01-2008 05:15 AM
Let's see those paints my2geldings Horse Breeds 82 09-03-2008 10:52 AM
Pintos!!! PaintsandPintos70 Horse Breeds 66 01-23-2008 09:41 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome