Paints vs. Pintos... - Page 6 - The Horse Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 101 Old 03-09-2010, 01:56 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 971
• Horses: 0
Ok, I'm late I know, I agree w/ those saying they are the same, different registeries, yes, but otherwise basically the same. Chances are if you swapped the papers of a solid world champion paint and showed him in an AQHA show against QH, no one would notice.

I'd love to see someone post several examples of QH and Paint and see how many could tell which was which. I know I couldn't and I've owned both forever.

People don't breed Paint to QH to double register, because w/ a Paint in the pedigree it wouldn't be eligable for AQHA. And they don't not breed QH to Paint because of the fear of excessive white, they don't because then it would be a Paint, not a QH.

Now is where it gets confusing, when I say they are the same, I mean mentally and physically, but they do have separate registries so are technically separate breeds. Therefore, I would not call the OP's horse a QH/Arabian, she's Paint/Arabian, but I think technically she'd be Pinto Arabian?

I think Paints are one of the more misunderstood breeds, and being a Paint person, I do have little peeves related to that.

Now for the reason I bothered to post, did anyone else try to look up the sire? Because I couldn't find anything w/ the name and the number took me to a blue roan overo mare?!

Last edited by haviris; 03-09-2010 at 02:04 AM.
haviris is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #52 of 101 Old 03-09-2010, 02:34 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: northern arkansas
Posts: 3,100
• Horses: 1
I have a feeling the "source" and the poster are one in the same...

Ω Horses are a projection of peoples dreams Ω
Honeysuga is offline  
post #53 of 101 Old 03-09-2010, 03:26 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,010
• Horses: 3
Quote:
They are very involved in many aspects and as I've stated already, are friends or acquaintances of most anyone who's anybody in that sector of the equine world.
This merits absolutely nothing. I had a VET, a freaking CERTIFIED, TRIED AND TRUE veterinarian tell me, he saw an HYPP N/N horse have an HYPP attack. Okay? People are freaking stupid in all class levels, despite money or how popular they may be. See for example, Cleve Wells.



Quote:
I have a feeling the "source" and the poster are one in the same...
I do so agree with you!

I've got a lovely bunch of Neuticals,
There they are all standing in a row

Big ones, small ones, some as big as your head
PaintsPwn is offline  
post #54 of 101 Old 03-09-2010, 04:56 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 855
• Horses: 0
Horses and rhinos are both in the order, perissodactyla; that is all.

Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires courage.
shmurmer4 is offline  
post #55 of 101 Old 03-09-2010, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bristol, CT
Posts: 356
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by haviris View Post
Now for the reason I bothered to post, did anyone else try to look up the sire? Because I couldn't find anything w/ the name and the number took me to a blue roan overo mare?!
Thank you for trying to locate the sire for me! In an interesting turn of events, I was misinformed. The sire is registered with the PtHA, not the APHA, #103393. Now this opens up another debate, as I was told her father was a Paint, but he's registered with the Pinto Horse Association! So now uncovering what she truly is is another mystery. I just got finished sending all her paperwork for the AHA and PtHA to the original breeder to be signed, and she said she would send me back her parent's papers. I feel like Sherlock Holmes!, lol.

However, in good news I thought would be cute to share, after I contacted the breeder she sent me pictures of Frida's dam, sire, Frida's sister, and the last two are Frida one day old!!! The dam lives close by, so I'm going to see her on Friday for fun.

Any ideas on what you think of the sire's appearance? He looks so small, and he's next to a purebred arabian, she can't be more than 15'2, I'm guessing. What does he look like?







& Baby Frida!




Last edited by Seahorseys; 03-09-2010 at 07:29 AM.
Seahorseys is offline  
post #56 of 101 Old 03-09-2010, 08:15 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 629
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintHorseMares View Post
This can obviously be an never ending discussion, but I would just like to say that the logic above is faulty with respect to whether Paints and QHs are the 'same' horse. The breeds, both Paint and QH, are defined solely by words in their registry's rule books, which have their own, self serving agendas, and now that both organizations basically 'tolerate' solids/crop outs, those definitions are soley based on parentage.
It's not faulty at all. All registries have their own 'self serving agendas'. And while it may be solely words that define the differences, the fact remains the two breeds were always different and are recognized as such by different 'heritages', different breed 'names', different 'shows', different 'criteria' et al...

Regardless of the fact that some breeders decided to cross the Paint with the QH to ensure performance with their color, still does not change that the two breeds were always different.

Regardless of the fact that some breeders decided to cross their Paints with enough QH blood to see many structural similarities such that they resemble QH's, doesn't change that those individuals are not recognized as QH's by *the* QH Registry, and that the two breeds were always different.



I was asked to add the following:

You might also add that since you actually have to QUALIFY for the AQHA world - ie show in available breed shows in your area and compete against enough horses to earn points required in your event to qualify to show in OKC - rather than load your "colored QH" in the trailer and haul to Ft Worth and show in whatever event you want - this again points out that - there are not enough Paints to warrant breed shows in all areas of the country to make horses qualify.

Look at the APHA Site and AQHA site - the number of world show attendees speaks VOLUMES on my comment of - smaller - worth less $$ - virtually nothing for non-coloreds (they can also easily access Triangle Sales online, or any other all breed ranch horse sale and compare the value of mediocre bred QH's to better bred solid paints. Didn't take me three days to research those figures either.

So the numbers are smaller - dollar value is less - one spot for non-coloreds - oh, unless you count the $$ associations I mentioned - and we see how many solid paints burning up the $$ in those events? - all easily provable facts - hmmmm guess I better get informed eh?


.
Mercedes is offline  
post #57 of 101 Old 03-09-2010, 08:25 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 629
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastowest View Post
Was anyone arguing geographic relevance?
I was merely pointing out that my source lives where all the QH and Paint action is, and therefore does indeed have many firsthand connections with the people in those two sectors; talking to them face to face at their farms, the World Shows, the big sales, riding with them, competing against them etc.. Getting the facts from the horse's mouth so to speak.


Quote:
Where is your farm, Mercedes? Any links to pedigrees and photos of your Paints you can share?
What does the horse in the avatar look like? A QH?
Mercedes is offline  
post #58 of 101 Old 03-09-2010, 08:32 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In a land far far away, or so I wish.
Posts: 12,825
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedes View Post
I was merely pointing out that my source lives where all the QH and Paint action is, and therefore does indeed have many firsthand connections with the people in those two sectors;
I live smack dab in the middle of apple country. Apple farms all around me. I even talk to apple farmers. I guess using your logic I am an expert on apple growing.
Alwaysbehind is offline  
post #59 of 101 Old 03-09-2010, 08:35 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 629
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeysuga View Post
I have a feeling the "source" and the poster are one in the same...
It's a shame you have such problems comprehending various writing styles and diction. Of course, you can always just go ask Spyder, she knows me well enough to know I couldn't have been bothered. If I have something to say, I'll say it under my own handle.

Thanks so much, darling, for adding to the topic of the thread. *thumbs up*
Mercedes is offline  
post #60 of 101 Old 03-09-2010, 08:52 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 629
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind View Post
I live smack dab in the middle of apple country. Apple farms all around me. I even talk to apple farmers. I guess using your logic I am an expert on apple growing.
Actually, that wasn't the logic at all, nor the point. But you might be an apple expert. I certainly wouldn't be asking someone who's lived their life in Alaska about apples. I'd actually want to talk to someone who's grown an orchard or two in their lives and dealt with all aspects of apples; various varieties, experimentation with different fertilizers and sprays, has a broad knowledge base of apple pests and diseases, and so on. Having a couple of apple trees in your backyard just doesn't cut it.

Just as I wouldn't ask someone for in depth information on QH's who's never been more involved than breeding a couple of foals, riding in a local show or two, and has only perused their rule book to see if their Paint cross would be eligilbe for AQHA registration. I'd actually want to talk to someone who's 'in the game'. While I appreciate the grassroots people and their importance, it's the people at the other end who are running the show and making the changes because they're the ones with the power.
Mercedes is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Paints and Pintos barnrat Horse Breeds 42 11-12-2009 03:44 PM
Discussion about Paints, specifically Breeding Stock Paints JustDressageIt Horse Breeding 22 03-23-2009 08:42 AM
Body markings (paints, appys, pintos, greys, etc.) kitten_Val Horse Pictures 41 11-01-2008 05:15 AM
Let's see those paints my2geldings Horse Breeds 82 09-03-2008 10:52 AM
Pintos!!! PaintsandPintos70 Horse Breeds 66 01-23-2008 09:41 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome