Paints vs. Pintos... - Page 9
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeds

Paints vs. Pintos...

This is a discussion on Paints vs. Pintos... within the Horse Breeds forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category
  • Blue jay way quarter horse

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    03-10-2010, 05:08 PM
  #81
Foal
Quote:
My Paint is long and sleek and not at all built like the normal, typical, desirable QH
The Quarter horse is changing too though no? They're getting to be more sporty from what I see.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    03-10-2010, 05:51 PM
  #82
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayWay    
The Quarter horse is changing too though no? They're getting to be more sporty from what I see.
or more muscle-y
     
    03-10-2010, 06:04 PM
  #83
Trained
The point of this whole thread ( if there is one ) is that Paints and QHs compete in a variety of events and have several different types of conformation to do those events. A horse bred for Hunter Jumper is going to look much different than a horse that is bred for cutting regardless of spots or not.
     
    03-10-2010, 06:48 PM
  #84
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayWay    
The Quarter horse is changing too though no? They're getting to be more sporty from what I see.
I have noticed too, horse that won in western pleasure 30 years ago would look like back yard cow ponies in the western pleasure arena today. They seem to be going for long legs, tucked up bellies, and pencil necks. Granted I like the QHs that look more like TBs, but I don't consider them real QHs, I consider it a QH x TB.

The western pleasure and HSUS paints are going the same route too, long legs, tucked up bellies, and pencil necks.

Which once again goes back to paints and QH are basically the same thing these days. When it comes down to it people like to win, and so they are going to watch what horses are winning and then breed what wins. And since a lot of QH judges are also Paint and Appy judges, and they are going to look beyond the color and for basically the same kind of movement and headset, etc.
     
    03-10-2010, 06:51 PM
  #85
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintsPwn    
This is false; as show below:
Cremello X Sorrel = Palomino
That palomino has a cremello gene, does is not? And it can pass that gene on to it's baby, can it not? Just because the palomino and the palomino's baby aren't cremello doesn't mean it won't pop up in later breedings down the line that could bring it back out, or by accident.
     
    03-10-2010, 07:05 PM
  #86
Yearling
^ You need to go do some research on horse genetics. There is no 'cremello' gene. There is a dilute gene.

Double Dilute - Cremello/Perlino
Single Dilute - Buckskin, Smokey Creme, Palomino, etc..
And No Dilute - Bay, Sorrel, Black.

A palomino will ONLY produce a cremello if bred to a cremello - or a perlino I suppose also could work. A palomino will NEVER throw a cremello on anything else.
     
    03-10-2010, 07:29 PM
  #87
Foal
HI - okay I tried to follow the thread. I know less than nothing in this area but can you clear this up for me- maybe it has been and I just didn't follow - sorry
I was under the impression that a Paint has to have quarter horse or thoroughbred or a mix - period. That is what defined a paint from a "pinto" which is just colour. I read that a paint can be double registered - aqha and apha. So a paint can be a pure- bred quarter horse - hence it looks like one but it could also be a pure-bred thoroughbred - hence you may see the thinner lines.
Searched and found this from

The International Registry of Colored Horses

Horses accepted for registration in the APHA result from these combinations only: Paint x Paint, Paint x QH, Paint x TB, QH x QH, TB x TB, or QH x TB. Purebred Quarter Horses or Thoroughbreds are welcomed into the APHA registry as long as the horses have enough white to meet minimum color requirements. The Jockey Club does not discriminate against white, so Thoroughbreds with enough white to be registered in the APHA can also be double-registered in the Jockey Club. Likewise, with the relaxed white restrictions in the AQHA, horses may be double-registered with the AQHA and the APHA.

To me it says that a paint is either a TB or QH or combination -that the paint started as an outcrop of the TB and/or QH.
     
    03-10-2010, 08:38 PM
  #88
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaway    
HI - okay I tried to follow the thread. I know less than nothing in this area but can you clear this up for me- maybe it has been and I just didn't follow - sorry
I was under the impression that a Paint has to have quarter horse or thoroughbred or a mix - period. That is what defined a paint from a "pinto" which is just colour. I read that a paint can be double registered - aqha and apha. So a paint can be a pure- bred quarter horse - hence it looks like one but it could also be a pure-bred thoroughbred - hence you may see the thinner lines.
Searched and found this from

The International Registry of Colored Horses

Horses accepted for registration in the APHA result from these combinations only: Paint x Paint, Paint x QH, Paint x TB, QH x QH, TB x TB, or QH x TB. Purebred Quarter Horses or Thoroughbreds are welcomed into the APHA registry as long as the horses have enough white to meet minimum color requirements. The Jockey Club does not discriminate against white, so Thoroughbreds with enough white to be registered in the APHA can also be double-registered in the Jockey Club. Likewise, with the relaxed white restrictions in the AQHA, horses may be double-registered with the AQHA and the APHA.

To me it says that a paint is either a TB or QH or combination -that the paint started as an outcrop of the TB and/or QH.

The part I bolded is what stands out to me. I don't think that's the American Paint Horse Association. That may be a different registry, but IDK.
     
    03-10-2010, 10:43 PM
  #89
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintsPwn    
^ You need to go do some research on horse genetics. There is no 'cremello' gene. There is a dilute gene.

Double Dilute - Cremello/Perlino
Single Dilute - Buckskin, Smokey Creme, Palomino, etc..
And No Dilute - Bay, Sorrel, Black.

A palomino will ONLY produce a cremello if bred to a cremello - or a perlino I suppose also could work. A palomino will NEVER throw a cremello on anything else.
I never said I did research. In fact, I said twice that I haven't done any and virtually know nothing, I'm just using logic. So thanks for clearing that up for me. So I'll change my statement. Any horse can pass on any color in its lineage except cremello. Yes?
     
    03-10-2010, 10:44 PM
  #90
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaway    
Horses accepted for registration in the APHA result from these combinations only: Paint x Paint, Paint x QH, Paint x TB, QH x QH, TB x TB, or QH x TB. Purebred Quarter Horses or Thoroughbreds are welcomed into the APHA registry as long as the horses have enough white to meet minimum color requirements. The Jockey Club does not discriminate against white, so Thoroughbreds with enough white to be registered in the APHA can also be double-registered in the Jockey Club. Likewise, with the relaxed white restrictions in the AQHA, horses may be double-registered with the AQHA and the APHA.

To me it says that a paint is either a TB or QH or combination -that the paint started as an outcrop of the TB and/or QH.
The APHA rules were changed in 2005 to require that at least one parent be a Paint, so the QHxQH, etc combinations are no longer allowed.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Paints and Pintos barnrat Horse Breeds 42 11-12-2009 03:44 PM
Discussion about Paints, specifically Breeding Stock Paints JustDressageIt Horse Breeding 22 03-23-2009 08:42 AM
Body markings (paints, appys, pintos, greys, etc.) kitten_Val Horse Pictures 41 11-01-2008 05:15 AM
Let's see those paints My2Geldings Horse Breeds 82 09-03-2008 10:52 AM
Pintos!!! PaintsandPintos70 Horse Breeds 66 01-23-2008 09:41 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0