Quarab?
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeds

Quarab?

This is a discussion on Quarab? within the Horse Breeds forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category
  • Quarab horses
  • Quarab experience with riding training

Like Tree25Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-25-2013, 09:34 PM
  #1
Weanling
Quarab?

I've been doing some research on the cross between a quarter horse and an arabian. Does anyone have any experience with a Quarab? I've heard they're pretty hyper and a fun breed to own and ride. Does anyone know what else this breed is like athletic wise? I have a friend who run barrels on a Quarab and it's the perfect little mare.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    04-25-2013, 09:54 PM
  #2
Yearling
I think you have *hyper* with any horse. Depends on the horse itself. I'm awaiting a Quarab foal. I have had a buck wild Arabian 18 year old, and have ridden a few 4,7,8 year old arabians and Quarabs and they was all very slow, patient, looking to please horses.
Posted via Mobile Device

ETA: the ones I've ridden and been around can out last half I've rode with.
     
    04-25-2013, 09:56 PM
  #3
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyMoMoF3CuTiEs    
I think you have *hyper* with any horse. Depends on the horse itself. I'm awaiting a Quarab foal. I have had a buck wild Arabian 18 year old, and have ridden a few 4,7,8 year old arabians and Quarabs and they was all very slow, patient, looking to please horses.
Posted via Mobile Device

ETA: the ones I've ridden and been around can out last half I've rode with.
I was starting to wonder where you can assume a certain breed is hyper. Do you know anything on the breeds athleticism first hand?
     
    04-25-2013, 10:02 PM
  #4
Trained
One of my friends has a quarab gelding. He's lazy and fat. He's also very smart and knows how to get out of work very easily.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    04-25-2013, 10:04 PM
  #5
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum    
One of my friends has a quarab gelding. He's lazy and fat. He's also very smart and knows how to get out of work very easily.
Posted via Mobile Device
Awww that's cute! Got to love those little butterball ones
     
    04-25-2013, 10:04 PM
  #6
Yearling
There are a few on here that can help more. All I do is ride for pleasure. We have had small dirt road races and stuff like that. I think a good inshape horse will top any. But, like I said even on all day and weekend trips the ones I've been around are still wanting to go. So I'm pretty sure one of the right lineage would serve well for any type of job you want it for. But, no expert here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Aesthetic likes this.
     
    04-25-2013, 10:06 PM
  #7
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyMoMoF3CuTiEs    
There are a few on here that can help more. All I do is ride for pleasure. We have had small dirt road races and stuff like that. I think a good inshape horse will top any. But, like I said even on all day and weekend trips the ones I've been around are still wanting to go. So I'm pretty sure one of the right lineage would serve well for any type of job you want it for. But, no expert here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thank You(:
     
    04-25-2013, 10:08 PM
  #8
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesthetic    
Awww that's cute! Got to love those little butterball ones
He's also got a jackhammer trot. I've ridden him once and there was no rhythm to post to.

I've seen some very athletic quarabs, though.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    04-25-2013, 10:09 PM
  #9
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum    
He's also got a jackhammer trot. I've ridden him once and there was no rhythm to post to.

I've seen some very athletic quarabs, though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Those jackhammer trots are killers. I've only known one quarab, and I believe she's either 50% arabian or 25% arabian. I'm not to sure.
     
    04-26-2013, 03:45 PM
  #10
Started
A lot depends on what the parents were bred for and how well the cross was chosen. A good solid minded Arabian with proper gaits and conformation crossed with a well bred and solid conformation quarter horse will give you an excellent cross. Though you cannot predict if they will inherit more from sire or dam or be somewhere in between, it will be a good cross. My mom bred some beautiful Arabian mares to the same quarter horse stud. She got 2 fillies the first year and 2 colts the second year. Each matured to different heights, builds, and overall appearance. One of the mare's offspring had a very moody, aggressive daughter and a son with a very gentle disposition that grew very tall and was so lazy that nothing bothered him. The other mare's offspring had a short, stocky WP built daughter and a sleeker, high energy English built son. All were well put together with solid conformation, but were suited to different disciplines and rider ability.

Just like any breed or popular cross breeds, they are varied in natural abilities and dispositions. Judge each individually and not lumped together in a mass that does not hold true for each one.
     

Tags
arabian, mare, quarab, quarter

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
5 yr ols Quarab Critique? Wheatermay Horse Conformation Critique 16 03-26-2013 02:04 AM
do you have a quarab? StackofHorses Horse Breeds 19 07-14-2012 06:13 PM
Is she a quarab? AbbyLee Horse Breeds 8 02-03-2012 01:04 AM
Quarab Rescue AllHorseStuff Horse Videos 2 10-09-2011 11:43 AM
Arab or Quarab? musicalmarie1 Horse Breeds 13 01-10-2011 06:19 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0