My first horse had a sale price of $35,000. Through negotiating, he was brought down to $32,000 and he was purchased. When he passed this spring, the life insurance company gave us back $35,000 because that was his estimated financial value before his death.
My current horse had a sale price of $40,000, but with negotiation (everybody should try to negotiate price, even if the sale is reasonable why pay extra if the price could be lowered) he was brought down to $38,000 and he was purchased. For both of my horses a 10% (I am fairly certain that it was 10% but I could be wrong) reservation fee was put on the horse so he could not be purchased by another person before he had a vet check and the decision to purchase the horse was made.
Last edited by roro; 10-22-2009 at 10:02 PM.