Question about American warmbloods
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeds

Question about American warmbloods

This is a discussion on Question about American warmbloods within the Horse Breeds forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category
  • Us warmblood organizations forum
  • Arabian american warmblood inspection

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    12-18-2011, 10:46 PM
  #1
Weanling
Question about American warmbloods

I don't have warmbloods and I don't know a lot about them or about certain bloodlines, ect. Maybe it's just me but a lot of American warmbloods I see either advertised online or owned by people I know are TB or arab crosses. Like a lot of TB x drafts seem to be most common. Is it kinda wrong to be cross breeding random breeds like that and calling it a warmblood? Espeially if they don't pass inspection, then it's pretty much just a grade horse, right?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    12-18-2011, 11:15 PM
  #2
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimson88    
I don't have warmbloods and I don't know a lot about them or about certain bloodlines, ect. Maybe it's just me but a lot of American warmbloods I see either advertised online or owned by people I know are TB or arab crosses. Like a lot of TB x drafts seem to be most common. Is it kinda wrong to be cross breeding random breeds like that and calling it a warmblood? Espeially if they don't pass inspection, then it's pretty much just a grade horse, right?

Until and unless the horse is registered and APPROVED with the AWR or AWS it CANNOT be called an American Warmblood in any way..EVEN if it is an unregistered actual Warmblood.

They can call it WB by breeding or whatever.

The people you see crimson use the term loosely to either get a sale ..up the price to the uninformed or just want to put a fancy label on their horse.

If you can't appreciate the horse you have and feel a NEED to fancy it up...maybe you should not own one.
     
    12-18-2011, 11:39 PM
  #3
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder    
Until and unless the horse is registered and APPROVED with the AWR or AWS it CANNOT be called an American Warmblood in any way..EVEN if it is an unregistered actual Warmblood.

They can call it WB by breeding or whatever.

The people you see crimson use the term loosely to either get a sale ..up the price to the uninformed or just want to put a fancy label on their horse.

If you can't appreciate the horse you have and feel a NEED to fancy it up...maybe you should not own one.
I wasn't considering owning one (I'm perfectly fine with my "unfancey" paints and quarter horses, LOL, and honestly I don't even care what breed they are I still love them all the same) I was just curous about how the breed registery works, because all the "registered" american warmblood's I've seen have all been some sort of crossbred of different breeds not like an actual breed, if that makes since.

And yes I have seen people selling a random horse and saying it's a warmblood or sporthorse just so they can bump up the price but I was mainly wondering about the actual registered american warmbloods.
     
    12-18-2011, 11:54 PM
  #4
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimson88    
I wasn't considering owning one (I'm perfectly fine with my "unfancey" paints and quarter horses, LOL, and honestly I don't even care what breed they are I still love them all the same) I was just curous about how the breed registery works, because all the "registered" american warmblood's I've seen have all been some sort of crossbred of different breeds not like an actual breed, if that makes since.

And yes I have seen people selling a random horse and saying it's a warmblood or sporthorse just so they can bump up the price but I was mainly wondering about the actual registered american warmbloods.

Sorry but your first post didn't come across like that.

First there are TWO American warmblood organizations and the requirements are different for each.

Getting registered is no different than getting COP papers. All that does is allow you to proceed to the level that counts. Some horses just don't have the conformation to go up and will never proceed any further.

To get inspected and receive a grade the horse must get at least 60 % but need a 67% to get approved for branding and 75% for stallions breeding approval and eligibility for the 5 star program....DNA testing is a requirement at this level.

At the level where branding is offered you will see a huge difference in the quality of the horse and I wish more would actually LOOK at the quality at this level.

Dressage Horses | Warmbloods | Sport Horses
     
    12-19-2011, 12:24 AM
  #5
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder    
Sorry but your first post didn't come across like that.

First there are TWO American warmblood organizations and the requirements are different for each.

Getting registered is no different than getting COP papers. All that does is allow you to proceed to the level that counts. Some horses just don't have the conformation to go up and will never proceed any further.

To get inspected and receive a grade the horse must get at least 60 % but need a 67% to get approved for branding and 75% for stallions breeding approval and eligibility for the 5 star program....DNA testing is a requirement at this level.

At the level where branding is offered you will see a huge difference in the quality of the horse and I wish more would actually LOOK at the quality at this level.

Dressage Horses | Warmbloods | Sport Horses
Yeah I agree. The "lower end" horses just don't look special to me. They just look like regular, average, run of the mill oor grade horses and that's where I don't get how they're considered "warmbloods" espeically when they are like arabian or TB crosses and don't have any REAL warmblood breeding in them (or if they do it's not a lot). It's more of a type registery than a breed, really.
     
    12-19-2011, 09:08 AM
  #6
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimson88    
Yeah I agree. The "lower end" horses just don't look special to me. They just look like regular, average, run of the mill oor grade horses and that's where I don't get how they're considered "warmbloods" espeically when they are like arabian or TB crosses and don't have any REAL warmblood breeding in them (or if they do it's not a lot). It's more of a type registery than a breed, really.

The more obscure fact is that if you looked at the lowest book of MOST of the more accepted WB registries you may find the same mix of horses and they can also call themselves warmblood.

The problem is that people look at the low end of the AWS and AWR and get the same impression you have...BUT will look at only the HIGH end of the other registries and think..great registry.

So apples are not compared to apples at all.
     
    12-19-2011, 11:48 AM
  #7
Weanling
Sorry to butt in, new here. This might be a dumb question... Are they just as pricey as euro warmbloods? I looked at the website, they look lovely, and very typey.
     
    12-19-2011, 01:06 PM
  #8
Foal
To register a foal in de BWP studbook,the sire has to be BWP approved.
The BWB approves stallions from other studbooks like Hannover,Westphalian,KWPN,SF etc.
If the sire isn't approved,the foal can not be registered.

The BWP has some TB stallions that they approve like Coconut Grove & Esteban,
But they will never approve stallions with draft,paint,QH lines.
They have to be TB x WB or fully WB.
     
    12-19-2011, 05:26 PM
  #9
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahntasia    
Sorry to butt in, new here. This might be a dumb question... Are they just as pricey as euro warmbloods? I looked at the website, they look lovely, and very typey.

The approved ones will be typy because that is the direction the registry is aiming to go...

Over time the registry will, much like some European ones close their book
(outside of certain out crosses like TB) and breed from a gene pool that is both diversified but true to type. This usually takes a long time to achieve.

It is by comparison to the European registries very much in the infancy stage.

As far as price....it varies depending on what bloodlines each animal carries.
     
    12-19-2011, 06:15 PM
  #10
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder    
The approved ones will be typy because that is the direction the registry is aiming to go...

Over time the registry will, much like some European ones close their book
(outside of certain out crosses like TB) and breed from a gene pool that is both diversified but true to type. This usually takes a long time to achieve.

It is by comparison to the European registries very much in the infancy stage.

As far as price....it varies depending on what bloodlines each animal carries.
Ok, what are the most sought after lines for the american warmblood in dressage? And they are choosing based not on breeding but on accomplishment which is nice. And by stating typey what I meant was that since it's still in early stages they have already found what direction they wanted to take in "look" for their registry. Seems to be going in the right direction =)
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Confused about American Warmbloods CD Hunt Horse Breeds 5 08-02-2011 05:35 PM
American Warmbloods TheRoughrider21 Horse Breeds 14 04-13-2011 09:59 PM
Warmbloods? faye Horse Breeds 8 03-07-2011 09:31 AM
I think we've seen everything else, so let's see your warmbloods! Supermane Horse Breeds 54 12-19-2010 11:38 PM
Do people really think American Warmbloods are just mutts? whitetrashwarmblood Horse Breeds 27 09-17-2008 11:43 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0