Smalll Horses in my area! - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 22Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 40 Old 01-25-2013, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 640
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatheredFeet View Post
I think most breeds and crossbreeds, can be used for ranch work. We have quite a few Gypsy Horse owners now, who are using their horses to round up, cut and sort cattle. Some of them also show these same horses in WP. Some use Gypsies for logging, delivering hay to far fields and general ranch work. I think some of us get stuck in thinking only certain breeds can be used for specific work or discipline.

Broaden your horizons, Wallee.

Lizzie
I am not trying to be narrow minded at all, I am very curious to what all breeds are suited to what job. But some breeds are alot better suited for certain jobs than others. I wish I could get a gypsy lol! My wife would LOVE to have one. Maybe one day I will get her one!!
Wallee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 40 Old 01-25-2013, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 640
• Horses: 0
Also I like a stocky build on a horse and in some breeds that is almost nonexistant.
Wallee is offline  
post #13 of 40 Old 01-25-2013, 02:14 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NW Oregon
Posts: 2,216
• Horses: 0
It will be interesting to hear how the visit with the QH/draft cross goes.
At 6'1" I can certainly understand why you want a horse with a bit of size and substance.
A year ago we were at a horse camp and there was a couple close to us. I was certain the woman was riding a TB, and, by the color, I was sure the guy's gelding had some Fjord. I finally had to ask and the gorgeous "big guy" was a Fjord/Belgian cross. Don't know if he could work a cow but he was sure impressive to look at. Crosses can be very interesting!
Wallee likes this.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, it's because your tactics suck. ~ Marine 1SGT J. Reifinger
Dustbunny is offline  
post #14 of 40 Old 01-25-2013, 02:17 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,927
• Horses: 0
Glad you like Gypsies, Wallee. However I wasn't trying to encourage you to purchase one. Just wanted to show that many different types of horses, can do ranch work very well. I'm sure you are not narrow-minded.

My friend Beth, at Squirrelwood Rescue, rescues Belgians and Polo Ponies, among others. She kept one Belgian she rescued and does all their ranch work with her. Incidentally, there seem to be tons of crossbred drafts around right now, if you like a stockier horse. Might be good for you to investigate and train, since many are getting into heavier horses, to show and trail ride.

I don't know how good a trainer you are, but at this point I'd be looking to obtain a couple of good horses and train them properly for the average person, seeking a solid and safe horse to trail ride. Plenty of horses of many breeds around, who just need a tuneup too. Lots of ways for you to go. Look up Enumclaw and other large auctions. You can often pick up wonderful horses for little money, before they go off to the kill buyers. Often, if a horse has already been sold to a kill buyer, you can buy the horse from them. Many of these horses, go with their registration papers.

Lizzie
FeatheredFeet is offline  
post #15 of 40 Old 01-25-2013, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 640
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatheredFeet View Post
Glad you like Gypsies, Wallee. However I wasn't trying to encourage you to purchase one. Just wanted to show that many different types of horses, can do ranch work very well. I'm sure you are not narrow-minded.

My friend Beth, at Squirrelwood Rescue, rescues Belgians and Polo Ponies, among others. She kept one Belgian she rescued and does all their ranch work with her. Incidentally, there seem to be tons of crossbred drafts around right now, if you like a stockier horse. Might be good for you to investigate and train, since many are getting into heavier horses, to show and trail ride.

I don't know how good a trainer you are, but at this point I'd be looking to obtain a couple of good horses and train them properly for the average person, seeking a solid and safe horse to trail ride. Plenty of horses of many breeds around, who just need a tuneup too. Lots of ways for you to go. Look up Enumclaw and other large auctions. You can often pick up wonderful horses for little money, before they go off to the kill buyers. Often, if a horse has already been sold to a kill buyer, you can buy the horse from them. Many of these horses, go with their registration papers.

Lizzie
I will look into that, no worrys about the gypsys that is a breed I have always wanted as well as fresians! I have been training for about 8 years now so I can handle about any of them. I am going to be looking into buying a good many 2 year olds this year and starting them for various jobs from trail to roping! I will have to check out the local auctions in the next few weeks and see what is selling right now. Wont be long now and in my area horses prices will go up due to the spring being soon.
Wallee is offline  
post #16 of 40 Old 01-25-2013, 03:05 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Hour and a Half from Town!
Posts: 6,324
• Horses: 2
Same thing around here. I've been shocked at the prices. An average cow horse, and I mean nothing spectacular with only a few names waaayyyy back on the papers, and only started, going for $2,500 all the way up to $6,000.

I can pick up a truckload of gimpy looking "green broke trail horses" for nothing. Usually small and nothing decent.

Have you looked into Morgans? Probably not cheap but worth a look. Good Luck!

You can get a lot further with a ladder than you can with crutches!!
What do you mean what do I mean?
FlyGap is offline  
post #17 of 40 Old 01-25-2013, 03:40 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,919
• Horses: 0
Wallee make a trip to Texas and you can find hundreds of QHs that meet your requirements at some cheap prices.
Depending on how big you place is and what kind of cow work your doing I would not get a draft or draft cross.
When working cattle here we use our horses for hours at a time and in very hot weather.
The few draft crosses that I have seen do not hold up well in the heat nor do they have the stamina.
Look for a leo or hancock bred QH. They ususally have the size your looking for.
We even use the arabs here for everything but dragging full grown cows or bulls. There are a couple of 1300 lb qh mares and a gelding here that handle that job very well. Shalom
amp23 and Wallee like this.
dbarabians is offline  
post #18 of 40 Old 01-25-2013, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 640
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarabians View Post
Wallee make a trip to Texas and you can find hundreds of QHs that meet your requirements at some cheap prices.
Depending on how big you place is and what kind of cow work your doing I would not get a draft or draft cross.
When working cattle here we use our horses for hours at a time and in very hot weather.
The few draft crosses that I have seen do not hold up well in the heat nor do they have the stamina.
Look for a leo or hancock bred QH. They ususally have the size your looking for.
We even use the arabs here for everything but dragging full grown cows or bulls. There are a couple of 1300 lb qh mares and a gelding here that handle that job very well. Shalom
I have seen a few hancock horses around and your right they are indeed decent horses. What is a 2 yr old decent sized reg. Horse going for in your area with no training?
Wallee is offline  
post #19 of 40 Old 01-26-2013, 01:07 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,919
• Horses: 0
good solid horses that are not trained about 250- 1,000. At the auctions less than 200$ from what I hear. I get too depressed at the public auctions so I do not attend them.
A well trained horse can go for under a grand here.
Good luck with your search.
Shalom
Wallee likes this.
dbarabians is offline  
post #20 of 40 Old 01-26-2013, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 640
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarabians View Post
good solid horses that are not trained about 250- 1,000. At the auctions less than 200$ from what I hear. I get too depressed at the public auctions so I do not attend them.
A well trained horse can go for under a grand here.
Good luck with your search.
Shalom
Thanks, Its not much money to be made on horses these days sadly. I mostly do it for the love of the animal!
Wallee is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stolen Horses In Houston Area! FalineDear Stolen Horses 14 12-17-2012 01:20 PM
Wooded area for horses... Poppygirl Farm Forum 15 10-05-2012 08:44 AM
Suggestions for vacation with OUR horses VA, KY, WV area SpoiledMaxsMinion Trail Riding 5 08-16-2012 08:36 PM
Horses for sale in Spokane WA area BikerChickk Horses for Sale 0 04-05-2012 07:38 PM
Horses in the Oklahoma area? Eliz Horses for Sale 1 06-20-2010 07:09 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome