Standardbreds in dressage? - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeds

Standardbreds in dressage?

This is a discussion on Standardbreds in dressage? within the Horse Breeds forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category
  • Standardbreds in dressage
  • Dressage standardbred

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    11-15-2008, 01:04 AM
  #11
Foal
I have a Standardbred filly off the track. She must have hated the track and the pace because the minute she was let loose in the field the the trot and canter became as natural for her as if she was never trained. She distrusted terribly so I gave her a year off. She was too young anyway. Now I ride her bitless when I want to western ride and snaffle when I want English. I haven't tried dressage with her but I'm working with her ground work on some of the pass over steps. She seems anxious to learn now as a four year old. She my darlin'!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    11-15-2008, 01:38 AM
  #12
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmyitschelle    
I heard awhile back (whether it's true or not) that people overseas were breeding their SB mares to warmblood stallions... to produce a really good trot in the offspring... I guess there are some good things about the standie's big spring trots eh? Lol.
x
That's really interesting actually cause at my riding school there is this BEAUTIFUL Hanoverian Warmblood stallion that we might breed Galina to in a few years time. He's a lovely boy, he's really sweet and quiet and also very good at dressage, so I think it would be really good to foal him and Galina together. Very exciting! My mum's already thought of a name for the foal too =P The stallion's name is Galanthus, and my mare's name is Galina, so we figured it had to start with "Gal". So mum's decided to call the foal Galiano!! Haha she has an obsession with alcoholic names for pets... her horse was called Brandy.. our dog is called Bailey... and now Galiano =D
     
    11-15-2008, 04:58 AM
  #13
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara93    
That's really interesting actually cause at my riding school there is this BEAUTIFUL Hanoverian Warmblood stallion that we might breed Galina to in a few years time. He's a lovely boy, he's really sweet and quiet and also very good at dressage, so I think it would be really good to foal him and Galina together. Very exciting! My mum's already thought of a name for the foal too =P The stallion's name is Galanthus, and my mare's name is Galina, so we figured it had to start with "Gal". So mum's decided to call the foal Galiano!! Haha she has an obsession with alcoholic names for pets... her horse was called Brandy.. our dog is called Bailey... and now Galiano =D
Haha!! People ask me if I'm obsessed with Baileys... my mare is called that. And I'm allergic to alcohol!!
Yeah I remember that conversation with my friend about that so vividly... she was explaining to me how the Standardbred trot was being used to improve and elevate the trot on WBs... I always believed WBs were quite elevated, but the few I have met have really bad trots... so I guess it could be true! I've recently seen Clydie's being crossed with SBs, in fact a lot of the SB mares here in NZ are producing a lot of crossbreds, purely for the trot that Standardbreds have! Woohoo for the breed lol!
x
     
    11-15-2008, 05:11 AM
  #14
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmyitschelle    
I always believed WBs were quite elevated, but the few I have met have really bad trots... so I guess it could be true!
I missed the edit time limit! I'm not personally slamming the breed at all, I'm just using personal experience... I actually happen to like Warmbloods on a whole... although know I personally couldn't ride one, their movement would be bigger than my elevated gelding, and he's enough thanks!!!
x
     
    11-16-2008, 06:16 PM
  #15
Zab
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmyitschelle    
I heard awhile back (whether it's true or not) that people overseas were breeding their SB mares to warmblood stallions... to produce a really good trot in the offspring... I guess there are some good things about the standie's big spring trots eh? Lol.
x
Not over the seas here at least.. O__o must be some other place..
Standies are so hated because of their trot it's incredible.. I've never heard anyone say anything nice about it untill I got here.. :3

And frankly I agree on that point.. >_> standies are lovely horses but their trot is awful when it comes to collection and dressage.. it takes tons of training to get it right..
But it sure is pretty when they run free in the pasture..
     
    11-16-2008, 07:17 PM
  #16
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zab    
Not over the seas here at least.. O__o must be some other place..
Standies are so hated because of their trot it's incredible.. I've never heard anyone say anything nice about it untill I got here.. :3

And frankly I agree on that point.. >_> standies are lovely horses but their trot is awful when it comes to collection and dressage.. it takes tons of training to get it right..
But it sure is pretty when they run free in the pasture..
I have to disagree with you... my gelding's trot is bouncy and big and hard to ride but when you ask him into a working frame, it's like sitting on a big beautiful floating animal who feels so amazing! He was made for dressage, in my opinion, and that's the path he's heading down!
And my mate's horse who is schooling Elementary at home has recently learnt collection and I've had the pleasure of being able to ride it... WOW... he feels soo fantastic in the trot - something that I've always struggled with on him cos I suck with my balance (heavy rider with knee injury)... but I've become a better rider and am just blown away with his movement... he feels nothing like the stupid 'Standardbreds and their awful trot' routine.... I guess maybe that's why he's a multi champion under saddle in the show ring and has even been placed very well in the park hack ring then!!
I actually have only ridden one Standardbred over here who's trot wasn't the best... and I owned her lol. She'd always do a half trot, half canter thing when warming up... and then once she was settled she'd have this big lovely trot... it was just a pain having to ride her through her "but I want to canter and nowwww" stuff in the beginning :P She's now a little girls horse because as much as I wanted to do dressage with her, she was more of a let's jump and canter kind of horse :)
Like I've said in my other post... over here in NZ you'll be surprised by the amount of Standardbreds being used in the show ring and have dressage foundations... there's a lot competing in the dressage scene too! All horses have something that needs to be improved on... and with that improvement Standies can excel in dressage quite well :)
x
     
    11-16-2008, 07:35 PM
  #17
Zab
Yearling
I think they can, but it's my firm belief they need way more training than other horses.
I don't even like regular dressage, so I'm not complaining anyway :P
     
    11-17-2008, 10:28 PM
  #18
Yearling
Regular dressage?
I'm all about classical... so I'm assuming you mean modern dressage? I'm not interested what so ever in modern dressage.
x
     
    11-18-2008, 07:59 AM
  #19
Zab
Yearling
I mean modern, yes :P
     
    02-11-2011, 08:35 PM
  #20
Foal
Standardbreds are pretty good in dressage - they usually have a good trot for it :)
     

Tags
dressage, standardbred

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What can you tell me about Standardbreds? LadyDreamer Horse Breeds 13 02-15-2011 12:46 AM
Personal experiences with Standardbreds CaEcho Horse Breeds 16 02-11-2011 08:37 PM
Standardbreds BeautifulBay Horse Breeds 8 04-16-2010 08:35 AM
standardbreds....... *fancypants* Horse Breeds 6 11-18-2007 03:20 PM
Standardbreds Horseknogg Horse Breeds 5 11-17-2007 06:10 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0