Surprise Colt... What breed is he? - Page 10
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeds

Surprise Colt... What breed is he?

This is a discussion on Surprise Colt... What breed is he? within the Horse Breeds forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category

    Like Tree74Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        12-13-2012, 11:44 PM
      #91
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DraftGuy    
    Got it! So because "pinto" encompasses a description of a set of colorings like tobiano, sabino, paint, splash, etc... He is "pinto" in color. Whereas because "Paints" are an actual breed, he cannot be a paint unless his lineage supports a sire who was a paint, regardless of whether the sire (hypothetical paint sire) was pinto or solid.

    Sound right?

    So what would I call him? Just a percheron cross?
    Yep! And that's what I'd call him.

    And MissyMay, Paints are their own breed. They do have a lot of interbreeding with QHs and TBs, but tobiano doesn't exist in either of those breeds, so they are their own distinguished breed.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        12-13-2012, 11:44 PM
      #92
    CCH
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DraftGuy    
    So what would I call him? Just a percheron cross?
    For $80 (until December 31st) you can buy the colt Pinto papers from the PtHA. These would be beneficial for his life by providing a history, proof of ownership, and show opportunities. I'd say it is worth the money and would give him some added value over a grade horse of similar level.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Missy May likes this.
         
        12-13-2012, 11:45 PM
      #93
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DraftGuy    
    Got it! So because "pinto" encompasses a description of a set of colorings like tobiano, sabino, paint, splash, etc... He is "pinto" in color. Whereas because "Paints" are an actual breed, he cannot be a paint unless his lineage supports a sire who was a paint, regardless of whether the sire (hypothetical paint sire) was pinto or solid.

    Sound right?

    So what would I call him? Just a percheron cross?
    Yes, sounds right. But I would always call him a percheron x, and add pinto if I wanted to be more descriptive. Idk, I have a haffie, I call her the little hoodlum and everyone seems to know who I am talking about. :)
         
        12-13-2012, 11:49 PM
      #94
    Trained
    CCH, can he get PtHA papers if he has no knowledge of the sire? Or would he just get some kind of hardship papers as a gelding?
         
        12-13-2012, 11:51 PM
      #95
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Poseidon    
    Yep! And that's what I'd call him.

    And MissyMay, Paints are their own breed. They do have a lot of interbreeding with QHs and TBs, but tobiano doesn't exist in either of those breeds, so they are their own distinguished breed.
    I won't argue, never owned one. I was just going by those I have known that had white throw back on QH colts, they said (now, I didn't follow them, take pics, notes, and have it certified) they could register them as paints, b/c the AQHA didn't allow it (this might have changed).
         
        12-13-2012, 11:54 PM
      #96
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CCH    
    For $80 (until December 31st) you can buy the colt Pinto papers from the PtHA. These would be beneficial for his life by providing a history, proof of ownership, and show opportunities. I'd say it is worth the money and would give him some added value over a grade horse of similar level.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Would you be able to point me in the right direction? I might do this just for the heck of it. I was just looking at the PtHA FAQ section on pinto.org, but that didn't really go into detail about the fee's and deadlines and said nothing at all about parent lineage or anything.
         
        12-13-2012, 11:59 PM
      #97
    CCH
    Weanling
    By my reading of the rules, I would say yes, he would qualify for undocumented papers under the utility category because he has enough white.

    And I am mistaken on the cost :( it would be $165 ($125 for undocumented and $40 for membership) no need to worry about December 31 age cutoff for undocumented horses.

    http://www.pinto.org/information/12_registration.pdf
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        12-14-2012, 12:07 AM
      #98
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Poseidon    
    I'm just saying it is far easier for everyone to understand what you're meaning by saying "a black horse is either Ee or EE and does not carry agouti" rather than getting into dominant genes because it makes it sound more complicated than it is.
    Perhaps it would have been. But, I have already stated in clear english the main point to my initial post was to admire the OP's surprise and mare - and I assumed most people would understand what I meant. I did not "get into' dominance/rec E / a in that post, I replied to someone that did. You appear to feel it necessary to direct how I state things, as well as misrepresent what I have said. It's curious, at best.
         
        12-14-2012, 12:08 AM
      #99
    CCH
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DraftGuy    
    Would you be able to point me in the right direction? I might do this just for the heck of it. I was just looking at the PtHA FAQ section on pinto.org, but that didn't really go into detail about the fee's and deadlines and said nothing at all about parent lineage or anything.
    It's really easy. Fill out the membership and registration forms, use a credit/debit card, and take 4 digital photos, then you can send all the palerwork and photos by email to photos@pinto.org using the requested name as the subject line. They will send the papers in about a month.

    Since he is a gelding they should accept him under undocumented utility/drum. I would not volunteer that his dam might be Percheron (for all you know it could be an embryo transfer since you didn't witness the breeding and she may not even be100% Percheron)
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        12-14-2012, 11:39 AM
      #100
    Showing
    My gelding is a percheron/paint cross (I know his lineage and his sire is APHA registered) and I was told he could not be registered with the PtHA because he is half draft. I was led to believe he could only be registered with the American Warmblood Society.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    What breed do you think this colt is? lexischase Horse Breeds 11 09-06-2012 06:53 PM
    How Early Can A Colt Breed? ButtInTheDirt Horse Breeding 13 06-15-2012 12:44 AM
    Does anyone have any idea as to what breed this rescue colt is? Mechelelyse Horse Breeds 5 01-06-2012 03:19 PM
    Hey. I'm new (There's a surprise) Sapphire Meet the Community 4 06-01-2011 09:33 AM
    *rant* Non-horsey Friends bought a stud-colt... (color/breed help as well, please...) Britt Horse Talk 15 04-21-2011 12:23 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:50 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0