what breed is my horse? - The Horse Forum

 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-26-2014, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 78
• Horses: 1
Question what breed is my horse?

So.. I bought a horse almost a year ago...
And I know she have appaloosa in her, for 100%...
But the owner she had before me said that she's a QH..
Now I know she's an appy by her coat color, but Idk what she's mixed with..
And I don't really know much about the breed strucher and stuff.. so I hoped you guys could help me, she's about 12 years old.

Thanks all for helping :)







lh4e is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 01-26-2014, 01:35 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 854
• Horses: 2
Yep, her colour and her mane definitely scream "appaloosa". She does have somewhat QH conformation and apps are commonly crossed with quarters so it is very likely she is appaloosa x QH. Beautiful horse!

kiltsrhott is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 01-26-2014, 06:19 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 812
• Horses: 1
I agree AppaloosaXQH. She is VERY stunning :).
rideverystride is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 01-27-2014, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 78
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltsrhott View Post
Yep, her colour and her mane definitely scream "appaloosa". She does have somewhat QH conformation and apps are commonly crossed with quarters so it is very likely she is appaloosa x QH. Beautiful horse!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideverystride View Post
I agree AppaloosaXQH. She is VERY stunning :).
Ok thank you guys very much
lh4e is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 01-27-2014, 01:49 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New England
Posts: 9,205
• Horses: 3
She's beautiful. While I think AppyXQH is likely it is also possible she is full Appy since some are like that (can have a lot of QH blood and still be considered an Appaloosa). I mean in theory she could be some obscure cross (as could any of these guesses) but I agree with the others.

Again, pretty pretty girl. Love her look. Interested how her stifles kept some color too while other spots are more washed out, her hips for example are completely white, looks like traditional varnish with one or two funky spots lol.
Yogiwick is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 01-27-2014, 03:35 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 38,037
• Horses: 2
I agree with Yogiwick in that she could be all apply. She is very downhill and a bit back at the knee.
tinyliny is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 01-27-2014, 03:44 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: california
Posts: 5,285
• Horses: 0
Did you roach her mane ? Or is it always that length? I did not see the mottled skin and sclera that goes with Appys , She could be a quarter horse , roan , that is slowly turning 'grey'.
They can get some odd patterns at times. I did not see where the OP was asking for a critique.
stevenson is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 01-27-2014, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 78
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyliny View Post
I agree with Yogiwick in that she could be all apply. She is very downhill and a bit back at the knee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogiwick View Post
She's beautiful. While I think AppyXQH is likely it is also possible she is full Appy since some are like that (can have a lot of QH blood and still be considered an Appaloosa). I mean in theory she could be some obscure cross (as could any of these guesses) but I agree with the others.

Again, pretty pretty girl. Love her look. Interested how her stifles kept some color too while other spots are more washed out, her hips for example are completely white, looks like traditional varnish with one or two funky spots lol.
ok thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenson View Post
Did you roach her mane ? Or is it always that length? I did not see the mottled skin and sclera that goes with Appys , She could be a quarter horse , roan , that is slowly turning 'grey'.
They can get some odd patterns at times. I did not see where the OP was asking for a critique.
I did cut her mane..
And she does have the mottled skin in the muzzle area, you just can't see it in the pictures :)
Here's a pic of her head:
lh4e is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 01-27-2014, 09:39 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New England
Posts: 9,205
• Horses: 3
She is a varnish roan. Grey does not look like that. See how the color is retained in specific (bonier) areas? She will get lighter as she ages but not like grey does. She definitely has the leopard gene, and not all horses will have every single trait they need I think 3 traits to qualify as an Appaloosa. That said she has the traits and is definitely leopard from that color alone.

I want her!
Yogiwick is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 02-01-2014, 09:11 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 3
• Horses: 0
Yeah, she is Appaloosa x Quarter Horse.
AnnaHorseLover is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What breed(s) is my horse? moonlite Horse Breeds 5 06-02-2013 04:06 PM
What Breed is This Horse? horse1324 Gaited Horses 10 07-11-2012 01:33 PM
Trakhaner breed, would love to learn more about this breed! Klassic Superstar Horse Breeds 20 01-03-2012 10:56 AM
Dam breed A, sire breed B doesn't equal dam breed B, sire breed A? manca Horse Breeding 4 10-09-2011 05:26 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome