What breed should I get? - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeds

What breed should I get?

This is a discussion on What breed should I get? within the Horse Breeds forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        10-24-2010, 11:53 PM
      #21
    Yearling
    What about a Connemara? They can go to 14.2hh some go higher but it is over height. The connie thrives off the one-on-one bond between its owner. They have one of the BIGGEST personalities I've had in a horse. The other day I get a tap on my bedroom window from Jack, he opend his gate and walked up the stairs and wandered around the verrandah to find my window! From the Connemara's I have met they are such fast learners! And enjoy learning! And are very talented. They can be quite hot but others can be really calm and mellow it just depends on the bloodlines. Oh and they excel in dressage and jumping! =D haha I sound like im selling the breed.lol But they sound like they would suit you!
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        10-25-2010, 12:51 AM
      #22
    Foal
    I would say quarter horse! They are willing to learn and work and they typically love their jobs!
         
        10-25-2010, 01:00 AM
      #23
    Weanling
    MORGAN!!!! They are the best horses ever!!!!! My Morgan had the best personality and there are very few they don't have a good personality. One really awesome cross one of my friends got is a morgan tb and that horse is awesome. My horse was clearing 3'6 under saddle at 7 years old before I sold him to an 11 year old to do cross rails :(. They are they best horses ever (besides my warmblood cross lol) The park type is like a morgan that looks like a saddlebred kinda. They have the high stepping motion and really high head set.

    P.S. Look up the Pony Club A manuel book and the cover picture is Dragonfire Kublakan, a morgan bred by Dragonfire Morgans in California.
         
        10-25-2010, 01:37 AM
      #24
    Showing
    Of course, a lot of it also depends on what is available in your area. I know around here, I would have a devil of a time finding a warmblood or pretty much any other 'off' breed. Mostly what we have are QHs, Paints, a few TBs, fewer Arabs, and a handfull of Appys. I would likely have to buy from way out of state and pay shipping for something else.
         
        10-25-2010, 01:57 AM
      #25
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JackofDiamonds    
    What about a Connemara? They can go to 14.2hh some go higher but it is over height. The connie thrives off the one-on-one bond between its owner. They have one of the BIGGEST personalities I've had in a horse. The other day I get a tap on my bedroom window from Jack, he opend his gate and walked up the stairs and wandered around the verrandah to find my window! From the Connemara's I have met they are such fast learners! And enjoy learning! And are very talented. They can be quite hot but others can be really calm and mellow it just depends on the bloodlines. Oh and they excel in dressage and jumping! =D haha I sound like im selling the breed.lol But they sound like they would suit you!
    JackofDiamonds you read my mind. When I saw the list I immediately thought CONNEMARA. And PONIES do have the best personalities and sense of humor. They generally live longer and are easier keepers.
         
        10-25-2010, 04:15 AM
      #26
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trailqueen    
    JackofDiamonds you read my mind. When I saw the list I immediately thought CONNEMARA. And PONIES do have the best personalities and sense of humor. They generally live longer and are easier keepers.
    Haha great minds think alike!! The list practicly describes the connie...hehe Oh gosh there easy keepers alright! My boy is in the dirt yard because he got MILES to fat in the jenny craig padoock! Lol! On the other hand my TB gets a full bucket of food and 2 bisicuits of lucerne and he is in the paddock with the most grass and still a little under!
         
        10-25-2010, 05:42 AM
      #27
    Trained
    Ohhh go the connies ALL the way!!!! I have a pinto/connemara and she is gorgeous, very loving (not to mention pretty), and VERY hard trying. I've lifted the jumps up to 1.25m and she clears it easily, so they are excellent jumpers. They are good dressage horses with nice collection in them.
    So I would go a connie if I were you :P the temperament is to die for :P
         
        10-25-2010, 12:25 PM
      #28
    Foal
    We have different breeds of horses and you can get good loving horses in any breed. It depends on how much attention they got when growing up. We can go out and they wont leave us alone.most of them you can hug on.We have found that when we want to check out a new horse we like to go uot to se it in the pasture without the owner close to se how it is with us.
         
        10-25-2010, 12:33 PM
      #29
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zachmyfavhorse    
    I would personally say thoroughbred while they can be a little higher maintenance they are great at jumping and will try their heart out for you they are also super sweet you can get an OTTB for really cheap too an train them to be just the way you want. Mine does eventing and show jumping he tries his hardest to make me happy and they are super forgiving. They are a little taller though but that might be nice for dressae
    I have to disagree slightly with this. You have to be so so careful when getting an OTTB alot of them are nasty, alot of them have behavior and physical issues. "Train them the way you want?" that's a bit too general they are trained to run run run run. Which causes alot of problems with alot of people. Certainly they are athletic horses and do very well in the eventing world. But you have to be careful just because they are cheap doesnt mean your getting a bargan. Do your research before you buy
         
        10-25-2010, 11:57 PM
      #30
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by .Delete.    
    I have to disagree slightly with this. You have to be so so careful when getting an OTTB alot of them are nasty, alot of them have behavior and physical issues. "Train them the way you want?" that's a bit too general they are trained to run run run run. Which causes alot of problems with alot of people. Certainly they are athletic horses and do very well in the eventing world. But you have to be careful just because they are cheap doesnt mean your getting a bargan. Do your research before you buy
    I agree I buy them off the track and its not something you can go straight into and "train the way you want". Remember there broken as a late 2yr old early 3yr old and run run run!! In Vic they run clockwise so you can barley touch them on the ride side and might aswell forget getting them to trot/canter on that rein! You also have to be careful about there minds being blown, its hard to bring them back from that. You sort of have to take them back to the before basics..
         

    Tags
    breed, dressage, jumping, trail

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    To Breed or Not To Breed? That is the Question! lilruffian Horse Breeding 17 09-06-2010 04:06 PM
    Name the breed. pgang Horse Breeds 5 12-09-2009 07:12 PM
    what breed is he? orin Horse Breeds 9 12-05-2009 01:45 PM
    To Breed or Not to Breed, That is the question?? aappyfan1 Horse Breeding 14 09-29-2008 12:56 AM
    Can someone tell me what breed she is? horsenaround Horse Breeds 25 04-21-2008 11:17 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:02 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0