What do you think about this horse for a beginner/intermediate?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeds

What do you think about this horse for a beginner/intermediate?

This is a discussion on What do you think about this horse for a beginner/intermediate? within the Horse Breeds forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category
  • Horse breeds for intermediate riders
  • Beginner or intermedite horse

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    11-29-2010, 04:15 PM
  #1
Foal
What do you think about this horse for a beginner/intermediate?

I have been looking for a horse to buy and I think I might have found one, but I want the opinions from someone with experience.

I have a horse but he didn't turn out to good. So I only got to ride him about 5 times in the round pen for about 30 minutes each time. I have more experience handling horse from the ground, but have ridden before. I have also ridden my aunts horse bareback, and have been on an hour trailride. So that's my experience with horses. I am a beginner, but not totally blind about horses and how to handle them.(i have also read lots about care and handling of horses).

Now the horse I am looking at buying.(I have limited funds on buying a horse because I am only thirteen)
According to the ad:
The horse is a registered Spanish mustang. 16hh. Mare. Is broke to ride and has been on many trail rides. Good for the older beginner rider. Has not been ridden in about a month because of a cut on her leg. Owner took her to the vet, and the horse is almost fully healed. She is 10 years old. Does like to run, but will only run on command(especially when she gets to much sweet feed!) The owner needs to sell her to get a smaller pony for his 3 year old daughter. Because of the cut on the leg he is selling her for $400 or will go down a little to a good home.

Opinions please, sorry for the long post.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    11-29-2010, 04:23 PM
  #2
Showing
What do your parents say?

Do you have a trainer? You really need someone experienced to go with you when looking at horses.

People lie when selling horses. They also drug them. Unless you're experienced enough to see it, you'll be easily duped if you don't take someone with you who knows horses.
     
    11-29-2010, 04:28 PM
  #3
Foal
I am by no means an expert, but the fact that they may be significantly lowering the price because of a cut in her leg, I would be a little bit concerned. If it really were something that shouldn't pose problems in the future and is almost healed, then I don't think they'd have a reason to lower the price.

If you do look at this horse, find a trainer or horse-savvy friend to go along with you and maybe ride her first and look at the cut. I would also urge you to have her looked at by a vet before you decide to buy her. It's a good idea before you get any horse, but especially with this cut, I would make sure that you do.

By the ad itself there's no way of knowing whether or not this horse would be good for you.. and the owner can claim whatever he wants. Take someone along that knows about horses and understands your level of experience, and keep them involved throughout the process. It will make things go a lot easier. I wish you the best of luck! :)
     
    11-29-2010, 04:31 PM
  #4
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Racer    
What do your parents say?

Do you have a trainer? You really need someone experienced to go with you when looking at horses.

People lie when selling horses. They also drug them. Unless you're experienced enough to see it, you'll be easily duped if you don't take someone with you who knows horses.
My parents say it is ok. I can not afford a trainer, but my dad knows more about riding horse then I do. And he is good at telling if the people who are selling something are lying. And I do not know anybody else who knows a whole lot about horses.
     
    11-29-2010, 04:32 PM
  #5
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhivia    
I am by no means an expert, but the fact that they may be significantly lowering the price because of a cut in her leg, I would be a little bit concerned. If it really were something that shouldn't pose problems in the future and is almost healed, then I don't think they'd have a reason to lower the price.

If you do look at this horse, find a trainer or horse-savvy friend to go along with you and maybe ride her first and look at the cut. I would also urge you to have her looked at by a vet before you decide to buy her. It's a good idea before you get any horse, but especially with this cut, I would make sure that you do.

By the ad itself there's no way of knowing whether or not this horse would be good for you.. and the owner can claim whatever he wants. Take someone along that knows about horses and understands your level of experience, and keep them involved throughout the process. It will make things go a lot easier. I wish you the best of luck! :)


They are lowering the price to a good home.
     
    11-29-2010, 04:41 PM
  #6
Foal
Quote:
Because of the cut on the leg he is selling her for $400 or will go down a little to a good home.
I would still have a vet check it. It could be nothing, but it's a lot better to deal with it now than to have a problem later. I'm not saying the person is necessarily lying, and, yes, a lot of people will practically (or literally) give a horse away to a good home, but you still need to be careful.

When I was 14, my parents finally told me I could get a horse. I was so excited and probably worried that they'd change their mind, so I got the first horse I looked at without any second opinions. Long story short, I could have saved myself months of frustration and tears if I had been more careful in the buying process. Just be careful!
     
    12-15-2010, 07:32 PM
  #7
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dock    
The horse is a registered Spanish mustang. 16hh. Mare.
Opinions please, sorry for the long post.
RED FLAG! Spanish Mustangs are NEVER 16h! Rarely they can reach 15.1 MAX and even that is considered Off-Type

The mare may be registered but NOT as a Spanish Mustang. There are many BLM 'registries' but not legitimate Spanish Mustang registry (SMR, SSMA, SBBA/SBHA) would register a 16 H horse!

That being said, I already don't trust the seller because that is misleading. $400 for a CUT? A cut that is so bad it interferes with the ability to ride the horse is more than a cut
     
    12-15-2010, 10:58 PM
  #8
Foal
My instructer told me as im also looking 4 new horse that if its been on
Trails it will be good soo it sounds all right but you don't wanna buy a horse that's cheap coz might mean its got history but it still sounds good 4 beginer/inter
Specialy of you r 13 and a a bit older but ALL depends on temper good luck
     
    12-15-2010, 11:09 PM
  #9
Yearling
The owner needs a smaller horse for a three year old is a red flag to me.... if the horse was gentle enough, the three year old could sit on it regardless of height......
     
    12-19-2010, 07:05 PM
  #10
Weanling
You have that little riding experience, yet you want to get a horse? I rode for 3 years at least once or twice a week before getting a 3-day lease pony. I leased him for 2 years before getting my first horse. I'd highly suggest you get lessons first. If your aunt has a horse, why don't you ask her??
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What level of Rider Am I? Beginner, Novice, Intermediate, Advanced?? horseluver50 Horse Riding 88 04-08-2013 09:32 PM
Looking for a trail horse for a beginner ognend Trail Riding 29 01-10-2012 11:48 AM
Intermediate/Preliminary IP Strange Eventing 12 11-20-2010 05:09 PM
Beginner/Intermediate Tips? ReoPlusOne Natural Horsemanship 12 12-21-2009 09:08 PM
Beginner or Intermediate? RideroftheWind English Riding 11 07-30-2009 05:50 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0