what do you think of my new OTTB's lineage? Fappiano, Secretariat, Bold Ruler...
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeds

what do you think of my new OTTB's lineage? Fappiano, Secretariat, Bold Ruler...

This is a discussion on what do you think of my new OTTB's lineage? Fappiano, Secretariat, Bold Ruler... within the Horse Breeds forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category
  • Fappiano horse picture

Like Tree6Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    11-20-2013, 08:00 PM
  #1
Yearling
what do you think of my new OTTB's lineage? Fappiano, Secretariat, Bold Ruler...

So as some know I got a new OTTB. $200. I want to make him an eventer.What do you guys think of his lines? I looked up his tattoo today and his name is Lil's D'accord. Here is his pedigree:
Free 5-Cross Thoroughbred Pedigrees from equineline.com - Thoroughbred Pedigree now with Free Interactive Nicking

And here is lil'sd'accord:
tb1.jpg

tb2.jpg

tb3.jpg

tb4.jpg

tb5.jpg

tb6.jpg

tb7.jpg

tb8.jpg

tb9.jpg
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    11-20-2013, 08:05 PM
  #2
Foal
I know nothing about bloodlines but I must say poor boy. :( hope you get a bunch of weight on him and let him recoup before you start doing much with him. Whats his story?
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    11-20-2013, 08:07 PM
  #3
Weanling
Holy withers.... I would NOT want to find a saddle for that horse. He is going to be VERY tough to fit.

Edit to add: at 11 years old and 39 starts I would be looking into a vet check and X-rays. He looks a bit rough.
     
    11-20-2013, 08:10 PM
  #4
Yearling
I got him from a guy who does not know how to feed a tb. I just got him the other day. His top line has a lot of filling out to do. I wont be riding him until he gets muscle up there. Ill figure out a saddle that fits lol.
     
    11-20-2013, 08:53 PM
  #5
Banned
I do not know much about bloodlines in TBs but I will give you what I do know. Your horse is related to Native Dancer on both sides. He is known as a horse who passed on genes for weak leg bones. So don't take offense by me telling you this, I'm just giving you info. Barbaro, Eight Belles, Ruffian, Pine Island and Shenanigans were all related to him and all suffered fatal leg injures. Note Shenanigans was a broodmare at the time. I've met a handful of horses over the years that were related to this stallion and they did not have bone issues, I believe two were eventers (both since passed.)

Still Secretariat is a horse that was known to have strong legs, they often said he had legs like iron, so that may help to counter the Native Dancer blood. Bold Ruler was a mighty horse in his own right. He was related to the mighty Fair Play, sire of Man O' War, and that horse also proved to be very sound.

So your horse has notables in his pedigree and with the amount of Bold Ruler and Secretariat blood in him I'm sure that his genes will stay balanced and give you a good mount. Though it is to soon to tell what he will become, he's a shadow of his former self, you'll probably have lots of luck with him.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding like a know it all and or trying to scare you with worry about your new horse. I'm just giving random facts, some I did look up, on his blood lines. As I said before not all Native Dancer horse have that leg issue. I've looked up all the horses I've mentioned and out of them and noticed something. Pine Island, Barbaro and Eight Belles are all built very fine. Where's Ruffian and Shenanigans were built like tanks. What truly made Ruffian's break down fatal is that she refused to stop.

Pictures are in this order (left to right):
1. Bold Ruler
2. Native Dancer
3. Secretariat
4. Mr. Prospector (related to Native Dancer)
5. Northern Dancer
6. Fair Play
7. Hastings (sire of Fair Play)
8. Man O' War (not related to your guy but a prime example of what kind of horse Fair Play produced)

Fair Play
Hastings

Sorry for such a lengthy replay but you wanted answer about his bloodlines.

Also I like his blood lines (lots of well known racers in there.) I wish you guys both good luck in your adventures together :).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bold_Ruler_11.jpg (58.0 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg f.jpg (7.8 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg imagesCA49Y5NX.jpg (9.6 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg mr_prospector_conformation.jpg (9.9 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg untitled.jpg (12.4 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg FairPlay.jpg (63.1 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg untitled5.jpg (9.6 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg manphoto.jpg (28.3 KB, 84 views)
dkb811 likes this.
     
    11-20-2013, 09:15 PM
  #6
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchingOn    
I do not know much about bloodlines in TBs but I will give you what I do know. Your horse is related to Native Dancer on both sides. He is known as a horse who passed on genes for weak leg bones. So don't take offense by me telling you this, I'm just giving you info. Barbaro, Eight Belles, Ruffian, Pine Island and Shenanigans were all related to him and all suffered fatal leg injures. Note Shenanigans was a broodmare at the time. I've met a handful of horses over the years that were related to this stallion and they did not have bone issues, I believe two were eventers (both since passed.)

Still Secretariat is a horse that was known to have strong legs, they often said he had legs like iron, so that may help to counter the Native Dancer blood. Bold Ruler was a mighty horse in his own right. He was related to the mighty Fair Play, sire of Man O' War, and that horse also proved to be very sound.

So your horse has notables in his pedigree and with the amount of Bold Ruler and Secretariat blood in him I'm sure that his genes will stay balanced and give you a good mount. Though it is to soon to tell what he will become, he's a shadow of his former self, you'll probably have lots of luck with him.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding like a know it all and or trying to scare you with worry about your new horse. I'm just giving random facts, some I did look up, on his blood lines. As I said before not all Native Dancer horse have that leg issue. I've looked up all the horses I've mentioned and out of them and noticed something. Pine Island, Barbaro and Eight Belles are all built very fine. Where's Ruffian and Shenanigans were built like tanks. What truly made Ruffian's break down fatal is that she refused to stop.

Pictures are in this order (left to right):
1. Bold Ruler
2. Native Dancer
3. Secretariat
4. Mr. Prospector (related to Native Dancer)
5. Northern Dancer
6. Fair Play
7. Hastings (sire of Fair Play)
8. Man O' War (not related to your guy but a prime example of what kind of horse Fair Play produced)

Fair Play
Hastings

Sorry for such a lengthy replay but you wanted answer about his bloodlines.

Also I like his blood lines (lots of well known racers in there.) I wish you guys both good luck in your adventures together :).
wow thank you! That tells me a lot! What about Fappiano? Do you know much about him? I am not good at conformation. Do you think my gelding takes after northern dancers bad legs or secretariats "iron" legs?
     
    11-20-2013, 09:21 PM
  #7
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopin N Paint    
Holy withers.... I would NOT want to find a saddle for that horse. He is going to be VERY tough to fit.

Edit to add: at 11 years old and 39 starts I would be looking into a vet check and X-rays. He looks a bit rough.
he stopped racing in 2008. He looks rough because the previous owner did not feed him correctly and never had his teeth floated. I had my farrier look him over today (him and my vet are basically partners and he has been training racehorses for many many years) and he said his legs look and feel really clean despite his racing career. He also said his hooves got lucky and are pretty good for a tb. I will be taking him to my vet anyways though for coggins so ill have dr.Y check his legs out
     
    11-20-2013, 10:16 PM
  #8
Weanling
Congrats on your new horse! He's very handsome and as far as him looking rough, I have seen much worse. My mare was skin on bone and her spirit was broken. I'm sure he will be fine under your care. If you are interested you can probably find some of his racing videos. I don't know a lot about bloodlines but wanted to wish you well with him
     
    11-20-2013, 10:29 PM
  #9
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkb811    
Congrats on your new horse! He's very handsome and as far as him looking rough, I have seen much worse. My mare was skin on bone and her spirit was broken. I'm sure he will be fine under your care. If you are interested you can probably find some of his racing videos. I don't know a lot about bloodlines but wanted to wish you well with him
well thank you! I have been looking for videos but all these sites want my money in exchange!
     
    11-20-2013, 11:13 PM
  #10
Started
Agree with the vet check but mainly for the general health (he probably needs his teeth looked at). That many starts dose not always mean unsound. I know a gelding named Wishinonastar, who was raced 66 times and was retired at 13. He is healthy (despite a self inflicted injury) and has strong legs. If he has no leg issues now I would assume he has good strong legs.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
5 yr old Bold ruler, damascus, seattle slew TB mare for sale Painteddreamfarm Horses for Sale 4 08-30-2012 04:46 PM
can anyone tell me anything about these lineage barrelrodeodream Horse Breeds 0 07-15-2011 07:31 PM
Tb lineage trIplEcrOwngIrl Horse Breeds 83 03-14-2011 09:03 PM
*exposes wrists* Ok, someone get a ruler and smack them. Skippy! Horses for Sale 7 06-29-2007 10:14 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0